Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:34:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPROJECT 88x
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PROJECT 88x  (Read 1428 times)
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2019, 03:42:00 AM »

[INTRODUCTION]

Good Evening, the name is Daye Williams & here premiering our 1st project with the working title "PROJECT 88x".
Project 88x is a Turn Based RPG with powerful Science Fantasy themes taking place in the cosmos. The Story begins with a crew of friends finding themselves in a Star Realm known as Luminiare. Join Gordy, Isa & friends, as they explore a vast plane in the stars, as they encounter bizarre creatures & supernatural beings. Feel to the brim with surreal & comical adventures, mind-bending & trippy narrative as these young explorers search the cosmos for wonders & mysteries of the unknown.

The World & Narrative is deeply inspired by favorite Space/Fantasy anime of the 90s, as well as the strange & uncanny works of Akira Toriyama, yet with moments & arcs of powerful substance exploring vast ideologies of Spirituality, Hermetica, Suffering & the context of a Soul. Incredibly shaped by Spirit Science, Science Fantasy, Retrofuturism & Metaphyiscal.

A major goal of Project88x is to go beyond using cliche RPG story tropes, still using conventional techniques yet embracing more stranger & surreal themes. A major aim is approach pragmatic choices with more personal Interactivity. To shape the progression & engagement with vivid style & *powerful lore.

Ever had that feeling of the something amazing being out there in the Unknown? Something majestic? Looking up at the night sky, with this overwhelming sense of urgency calling to you? The Narrative/Themes for Project88x is *incredibly motivated & shaped by the adventurous Midnight hours. My fascination of staying up late & the random activities we get into (I blame the insufferable insomnia). The direction of the project aims a capture young teenagers who want to live pressure & anxiety behind, just to run all night.

[MAJOR INFLUENCES]
Star Ocean 2nd Story
Phantasy Star 4
Breath of Fire 4
Earthbound/Mother

[MAJOR STORY THEMES]

Wanderlust: When I was a kid the thing I looked for to most was the randomness of my friends & I. As an adult I realized most of my anxiety (& maybe a lot of you) comes from being constrained & unable to relinquish myself from the routine that is adulthood. I take pleasure in the randomness of leaving at any given time.

Midnight: I Have an obsession with Midnight/After Midnight & all of the wondrous/dangerous encounters that may lie ahead.

Spirituality: The Soul is a very complex theory eh? Deeper & deeper to find what you may not like. (Stopping now before the pseudo-intelletual rambling kicks in). From the expansive sense of Suffering to that undying sense of urgency, I want to explore the desire to explore the unknown & expose that feeling of leaving things behind to adventure to something new.

More to come soon, stay tuned doods. Working on Concept Art, the Map/Environment & of course a good ol fashioned teaser. Thanks for read & hope this on your radar

FOLLOW
Twiiter https://twitter.com/TacoBell_Lord
IndieDB https://www.indiedb.com/games/project88x
Gamejolt https://gamejolt.com/games/proj88x/360968

[TEAM MEMBERS]
Since working in Game Development, not until now, have I worked with very talented indivduals who have been incredible. Working with them has giving me a newfound sense of patience. Each of them has been spectacular. My major goal was to get them passionate about this project as much as I am, even if its an quarter, still knew that the best of anyone comes from passion (& good money lol). Please follow them & support their art! Mush is finishing an RPG at the moment entitled "Luna Sanctus" & looks amazing! The music is phenomenal!

Mush (MushroomCake28) (Main Programmer/Music Composer) https://kamo-studio.itch.io
Scepter (ScpeterDPinoy) (GUI/U.X & SpecialFX Artist) https://www.deviantart.com/scepterdpinoy/gallery/
Zain (Tirquaz) (Sprite Artist/Animator) https://www.deviantart.com/tirquaz/gallery/
Jecox (Jecox21) (Tileset/Overworld Artist) https://mobile.twitter.com/jecoxart21
Kami (QueenKami) (Concept & Promo Artist) https://www.deviantart.com/queenkami/gallery/

« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 12:42:21 PM by TacoBell_Lord » Logged

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 10:54:05 PM »

Two of the 1st Elements planned for PROJECT 88x:

1)The Mutant Two Headed Ogre: is a beastly starter enemy able to dish out large damage & take little pain themselves with a great Defense Stat. We originally made the Mutant Ogre for a Tower Defense project that had to put on ice indefinitely. Though the plan was to always put the Ogre into an RPG. One of the common brute enemies that a tier lower than Sub-Boss & can be a pain in the ass without preparation. The Mutant Ogre felt like a first step toward something, a time when I stopped bullsh*ting about my career & actual tried to do something. Its also reminder that things can & most likely fall apart in game development...(even Project 88x..my hopes are at a manageable level)

2.Dagen: Dagen was the 1st Character planned for RPG, & probably my favorite character out of the whole cast. Have this tendency to create/design characters with blue hair for some reason lol (I blame Breath of Fire lol). Dagen restored my hope in game development; that one day I may see a project to the end. It might not be Project88x, but Dagen was created at a time where all hope was nearly wiped from my being. Dagen is the comic relief in Project 88x (actually a lot of characters have comical themes/moments between them) & one of the best magic users. More on him later.

At the moment we're working hard on different lists from Weapons to Items to Abilities. Also ofcourse working on Environments & Background Art, as well as Tilesets. Writing Character Profiles in the meantime with plans to introduce them in futher blog updates. Thanks for reading, & please follow & show as much as love as you can.

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 09:25:51 PM »

[Sprite Update 2]

The original vision was always to go for the SNES/16bit style with a quirky adborable visuals. After getting my ass handed to me by expectations, it was time to go for something simpler. You can tell you're a noob to Game Dev by the measure of expectations you have starting out. Only I wasn't a noob. Yet I was acting like one; can't even count the times I thought things going my way because of the level of expectations I had.
Pitiful & sad to waste such time when I wasn't even willing to put in the Time or Stress to see any of my visions get made. Okay it's not like I wanted some wild spectacular but still, what was in mind was just way out of any control especially when my broke ass doesn't have the budget for it.

Zain has done an magnificent job since she joined the team. She carried the torch from the last Sprite Artist & since then, has thrown herself into the role. So far she's generated an amazing Cast of Characters. Keeping the design simple as well as charming & personal enough to really give us our avenue.

First thing was sprucing up some of the classic Sprites we had before. Starting with the cosmic Star Knights.  Grin Grin Grin

Just the first of other variations & coloring.

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 06:50:27 PM »

[OVERWORLD SPRITES 1]

Jecox did a great job with the Overworld Sprites. The aim was to go for a more GBA approach, at first the heads were really big (like bigger than these). We defintely want to stray far away from the basic look of RPG Maker, make the Overworld Sprites more patable with their 2D/Combat Animations. Jecox wanted the colors to really blend with the cosmic/nebula colors of the World, also aim for an PKMN-like Sprite design but more akin to a PS1 RPG.

So far he's done Overworld Sprites for the first major characters. Starting with Gordy, the main protagonist. We wanted to knock out the 4 main characters to shoot for the playable demo as soon as possible.

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 09:22:09 PM »

[CHARACTER UPDATE 1]

Working on the Cast of Characters. From their Likes to Dislikes, to their Behavior & Backgrounds. It's been fun but challenging. The aim is to really make the Cast of Heroes stand out from one another, to have a peculiarity & broad story. Expect a very expressive cast.

First up is "Gordy" the main hero of "88x". He was inspired by my thrill for Wanderlust. Found him to be a perfect protagonist due to his upbeat nature but also his curosity to explore. Really wanted to make a protag that didn't have too much baggage but a bit of emotional weight but enough freedom to not be a drag. Was really inspired by "Goten" from DragonBall Z Peaceful World Saga ;-), & also inspired by Bartz/Butz from Final Fantasy V. Gordy has a very go with the wind attitude.

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 06:02:36 PM »

Hello World (again, I guess..)

Haven't been here in awhile, haha. Still to see TIGS active. Since there's so many incredible projects being made today & this one would be barely remembered by anyone in the vast sea of amazing games, let me reintroduce myself.

Name is Daye Williams, & been working on an RPG with some chums codename PROJECT 88x. The original vision was a Turn Based RPG set in an Astral world, with teens becoming star adventurers. Yeah working on something so vast can be a bit overwhelming & critical, like can really kick your ass emotionally, spiritually & mentally haha..ugh. With all the stress from attempting to bring my first project SUPER LORD OF CHEESEBURGERS to mobile & shuffling thru unsucessful arcade projects, a light dawned on me "you have a whole bank of RPG assets you asshole". Learned its best to aim for something when you don't have to reproduce assets or work/reiterate new game ideas to see if they appeal in a ever crowded market.

So we went back to 88x with a new vision, (ugh really hate wasting time thinking about the next move, wish we went back sooner). Not that i don't love side view turn-based but knew we had to adapt the formula to something more functional for our team & wouldn't our wallets (& our lifeforce). So we restructured the Story, Plot, World & more importantly the Gameplay.

Production output has been fckin sweet so far, & staying with a solid, realistic vision saved our asses. 88x will be more condense but with a really composed vision & increasing depth. The characters are cooler, the World(s) more passionate & the Story personal & relatable.

Here's a start of our rework (pardon the shitty placeholder graphics). Simple top-down movement, nothing special (..yet :-))

More to share in the near future, promise to be more active on here. Really miss the TIGS energy. 

Follow me on Twitter doods www.twitter.com/tacobell_lord

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Gunroar:Cannon()
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 01:08:32 AM »

Nice, hope it goes far Beer!

The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 08:52:45 PM »

Nice, hope it goes far Beer!

Thanks bud, means a lot!  Beer!

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 08:08:23 PM »

Good Evening doods,

Well this sorta kinda been a productive Summer, can't believe it went by so fast. We've been working our hardest on 88x, & are preparing for the next leap in development. Knocked out a lot of our objectives & priorities, so now it's time to focus on the real tough shit.

I've been working on a crazy amount of Spreadsheets & Databases, really filling out the world & planning Scenario/Events. We want to make sure the Main Narrative is really chill & laid back, but has a distinctive omnipresence to it. Its fun working on the Characters & their personalities, really want to mix up their interactions.

Side Note: Never realize the contempt I have for the way Naruto written female characters. It's horrendous like wtf.

As on the Interactive side, we're getting to the Combat & Player Input stuff. Aiming to make Turn Based Combat quick, smooth & direct as well as easy to comprehend.

Looks a bit confusing huh? Lol. The # represents Turns & such, will explore/explain more later! Including Behavior, Skills, & all that cool shit.

Have a good one.

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 08:54:50 PM »

Mapping Tiles atm while working on different databases at once, which might be a bad idea haha but its also pretty productive when I don't procrastinate. Development has been rather smooth though we're going to hit a few snags that team is preparing for school/university.

Still it's been great planning out a huge DB of Enemy Types & Behavior; aiming for simple yet difficult. It's tough really trying to balance which Enemies & strategies for the Player to engage with before the incline of difficulty begins, while also choosing which ones should stand out to really charm people. Still its really fun.

Also drafted the Worlds the Player will dive into & having fun worldbuilding. Just picturing the NPCs & creatures is motivation enough.

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic