Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:48:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingThe Demon Within (Knight Man III) RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Demon Within (Knight Man III) RPG  (Read 4269 times)
kingdiz
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2007, 04:00:04 PM »

Well hello!
I've been working on this project for a long time now, but feedback has been poor so I take a chance here! Smiley

The Demon Within

Well all the story info you need (if you want them) can be found on the homepage.
Homepage: http://www.kingdiz.se/km3demon.htm
Download http://www.kingdiz.se/km3full.zip(6.4 mb)

Requerment: Its windows based, but do not support Vista yet, sorry!

Over and out for now Smiley

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 01:39:37 AM by kingdiz » Logged
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 06:20:09 PM »

Looks interesting... What's the game like? Do you have any in-game screens to show us?

Later!

kingdiz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 12:33:32 PM »

Sure, but I have them on another host since I have limited data transfer from my host.

ScreenShots
Screen Shot 1 - Inside Mount Denmar   - Save Target As
Screen Shot 2 - Silverpine Forest  - Save Target As

Low quality but it should give you what you need Smiley
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 01:50:11 PM »

Hehe, I thought the game was interesting. Played through the prologue but got frustrated when I came to the snow forest.

My main concern is the lack of feedback. You should really try to find more sound effects and "reward" the player for anything that she does. For example, when breaking a barrel or a door, there should be a sound effect. The most important part, though, is to make it more clear when you are damaged. Needs both a sound effect and a bigger visual effect.

Other than that, it's a quite impressive gamemaker game, especially considering the PDF game manual.

kingdiz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 03:33:57 PM »

Great!(This is feedback!)

You just gave me some great ideas for an update! I'll try to figure out more things to that could be added to the list called "Lack of Feedback/Reward"(very good)!! 

Played through the prologue but got frustrated when I came to the snow forest.
Could you please expound on that?

Thanks alot!!
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 08:55:50 AM »

I'll download the game soon! I'll post some comments asap.
Later!

Tr00jg
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 11:07:36 AM »

You have a place called Silverpine Forest? Are you sure you can do that?

P.S. I am downloading it and I'll comment tomorrow (if I have time in between exams).
Tr00jg
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 11:27:16 AM »

k, I quickly played through parts of the tutorial.

Here is some stuff:

-I like the theme and the overall representation. It has genuine old school indie feel to it.

-The combat is a bit iffy. Up to the point where I play you can't really "lose". You just hit the enemy until he bounces away.

-I like the "sword" swing. Pretty neat.

-Another thing about the combat. There was a bat to the side of and when I attacked the "blade" went through the bat, but it didn't hit him. How are you doing collision detection for sword hits?

It is clear that you put a lot of effort into this. Look at the manual! wow. Did you do the art yourself?

Another thing... why is this in the licence?

"Kingdiz Entertainment and Blizzard Entertainment can not be........" Blizzard Entertainment?
Tex Pine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 06:39:10 PM »

Couldn't download on the above link, "file not found" error on the server.
kingdiz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 12:35:46 PM »

If you cant download try right click on the link and the "Save Target As" option!

Tr00jg: Must be a bug there I'll lookinto that for the 1.01 update! Glad you liked it! The last part in the licence was an old project Wink forgot to remove it haha, thanks for reminding me!

The artwork was not made my me, but a member of the KingDiz Entertainment team. Nice huh Wink

We'll soon have kingdiz.se so all problems with hosting and stuff will be fixed.

Released v1.01! Go to my homepage to see the changes! Mostly some engine fixes/addons
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 04:20:32 PM by kingdiz » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 10:48:45 PM »

Okay, I played the 'prologue' a bit; here are a bunch of comments:
  • You throw text at the player in a sort of overwhelming amount ... especially the splash screen at the beginning.  I think most players tend to just skip over that; you should tell the story as they play the game, and avoid throwing all this exposition at them.
  • Also about text: in game, I'd add things like 'scrolling' the text out gradually and putting a image of who's talking.  It's a good way to make the text play out more like a narrative, and fit better in to the visual experience of the game.
  • You should introduce the player to the skills they can use gradually, not start them off with everything.  Never expect a player to read the manual -- expect to teach them the game as they play.  Telling the player during the game that they can go to your website for instructions is really not optimal, since they'd have to break out of the play experience to do that, and it doesn't sound like a fun thing to do.
  • Although I have all these powers at the start of the game, for most of the enemies combat is very boring since all I need is to stand there swinging my sword.
  • The game starts off with me wandering around a dungeon finding keys to proceed to the next part of the dungeon ... it's very cliche, and I haven't been given much reason yet story-wise to be interested enough to slog through this part of the game.  You should start your game off with something fresh and exciting, to really pull players in to the experience.
  • In my headphones, the music is only played to the left speaker but the sound effects are in stereo.  So it's very strange -- I hear music only in my left ear, and then the sound effects are surprising and break a silence in my right ear.
  • The sound effect of the knight dying in particular seems to have a lot of static noise in the background on it
  • It might be nice to have a (very subtle) walking sound effect, and some movement / ambient sounds for the various enemies.  As it is, there are just sound effects for actions, so they're sparse enough to be a bit jarring
  • Music should be used to set a tone.  When you encounter a boss character who says "attack him!" or something like that, it would be good to switch it up to some more exciting / fast paced tune.
  • The pace at which the main character moves is not well-synched to the walking animation, so it almost looks like he's gliding about.
  • Walking diagonally also looks a bit odd, since he doesn't seem to have diagonal-walking animations
  • Gold (yellow stuff?) seems to spray out and fall down off the screen when I break open some chests?  That's odd ... why does it fall off the screen?

Overall, it looks like a promising game!  The main thing I'd say you should focus on right now is making the combat more unique and exciting.

Okay, that's all I've got for now.  Hope some of the comments / ideas are helpful Smiley
kingdiz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 07:36:31 AM »

Thats great! Thank you! Sometimes when I create game I can become a little "blind" and forget some stuff. My plan is to make a stand alone expansion for this using the same engine and you gave me some great ideas on how to improve it and present the new game. (I'll not change that in this game but the next one). Thx again!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic