Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:12:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 44 (Apr 26-29) [YOUR LIFE IS CURRENCY]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 44 (Apr 26-29) [YOUR LIFE IS CURRENCY]  (Read 17046 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2019, 04:54:46 AM »

Not until the end of April this time since henceforth LD will only be held twice a year, but PoV just opened the event up for joining and theme suggestions, so here we go!

Semicopypasted explanation of LD from last thread:

LD is a game jam. You optionally vote for a theme in the days running up to the event, and then based on that theme or keyword you get 48 or 72 hours (plus a submission hour) to make a game! You need to go on the website, log in, and click 'join event' before it starts!

48 hours is referred to as "compo" and 72 as "jam" and they have different rules—jam is more relaxed and you're allowed to work in a team—so make sure you read the rules on the website first.

When the time is up, a couple of weeks of playing games and rating/commenting them (only people who submitted their own games can do this) commences, and if you want to get ratings/comments yourself you need to do this.

You don't win anything beyond good ratings/comments at best, but it's fun and you always grow a little bit as a developer, as does your portfolio!

Remember that you need to host your game yourself—the LD website does not provide this. The website has a guide for this. Also you need to make it work at least on web or Windows (I think?) to be allowed to submit your game.

Twitter hashtag: #LDJAM (even if you're doing the compo)

Great blog post from an earlier LD here on considering keyboard differences between countries and so on, and more to bear in mind!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:25:49 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 05:04:53 AM »

You can now join the event!

Theme suggestions are open!

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 05:27:20 AM »

Oh dang, this time LD is the weekend right after my finals, so I can actually participate with peace of mind! University and College students rejoice! Grin

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 05:54:10 AM »

Yay!! Kiss

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 11:25:55 AM »

Posting to follow.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 04:03:31 AM »

Ended up having to schedule our move to a new home to the LD weekend, so might not have time to make anything—I'll be losing at least one whole day for sure—but if I'm feeling up to it I might still try for something small! Would feel bad to break my streak now if I can avoid it. Tongue

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 12:47:02 AM »

Any idea when the theme slaughter round starts?
When does the final theme voting round start?

To be honest, i'm a bit annoyed by the LD staff which does not manage to realease a simple time schedule beforehand and keep it up to date (if some technical difficulties show up, for example).

• Theme suggestion round: ?
  • Theme slaughter round: ?
  • Theme voting round: ?
  • LD COMPO/JAM: April 26th-29th, 3:00 MESZ
  • Rating round: ?
  • Winner announcement: ?

Could be that easy. Shrug
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 07:02:56 AM »

Suggestions always seem to on for a long time, never really paid much attention to that... Two months before? I think voting starts a week before IIRC. Rating starts as soon as the deadline is over and the counter changes to rating deadline and when that's over the final announcements can be made.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 11:32:05 PM »

I'd like to know details beforehand and i'm slightly annoyed because i have the impression that the staff seems hesitant so share information. Often, Twitter seems a more reliable source of information than the ldjam.com news. On top of that the winner announcement is a joke. Promoting the next Ludum Dare is more prominent than celebrating the winners and feels a bit respectless. (Yes, i like to know the next LDJAM date for planning, but the emphasis is off.) Maybe it's just me... Shrug

----------------------------

ANYWAY, the theme slaughter started:
https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/44/theme
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 08:51:33 AM »

Oh, I can't recall there ever being any sort of 'promotion' or even announcement of the "winners" of LD ever, that just never seemed to be what it's about since there aren't any prices or anything, but maybe I've missed something? Huh?

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 12:16:25 AM »

Theme voting:
https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/44/theme/1

(Round 1 of 3 before final theme voting round, which ends directly before the jam actually starts, afaik.)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 02:43:17 AM »

Thanks for posting updates! So busy packing. Shocked I've updated Unity and set everything up so that I can work offline if I find the time, so I hope I can make something small at least!

Jordgubben
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 09:41:49 AM »

I've missed the last three jams, so it's about time to do this again. But more importantly, my spouse might actually join me this time. We will be using Twinery, a tool that none of us have used before.

SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 03:52:18 PM »

lemme help out as well, it's time for: https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/44/theme/2
SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 12:54:42 PM »

one more round: https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/44/theme/3
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 12:25:47 PM »

Final theme voting round:
https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/44/theme

Ludum Dare 44 starts in
04:34 h
SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 02:16:44 PM »

theme spoiler: https://strawpoll.com/3bdzwp5b
SamSerious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2019, 05:01:44 PM »

Your life is currency
Silkworm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2019, 09:42:30 PM »

Day 1

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2019, 01:47:36 AM »

Post links to your entries.

Drowning in the Rain 
A vignette by David Williamson

Drowning in the Rain is an autobiographical vignette with mild puzzle elements.
It covers a very important and difficult period of my life.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic