Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:43:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKalopsia School Project
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Kalopsia School Project  (Read 4345 times)
OllieTheSecondCrook
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2019, 06:04:38 AM »

Kalopsia is a side-perspective pegi 12 adventure game, where as the player is an inquisitor from medival times, placed in a "futuristic" environment, the player enters a temple, in order to recover a holy artifact, but instead finds themselves in a research lab, that has been abandoned for ages.

Here's a free game preview copy: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1hp0cwIrQEVmsx0qH0111Nhj50d_dnIiL
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:17:28 AM by OllieTheSecondCrook » Logged
OllieTheSecondCrook
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 06:24:13 AM »

Hi, my name is Oliver, and I am one of the three programmers in our group, our group consists of five members, two graphic artists and three programmers.

Today, I've been using Visual Studio for the programming, I've been using project type Monogame, and I've also used photoshop to make the base menu sprites, today I've been focusing on making my own methods, for drawing the main menu, or the paused menu, or for detecting if the player collides with the tilemap etc.

So far we've decided not to use a jump function, instead create tiles that functions like ladders or stairs, we've also decided that the player will detect collisions with the world using points and checking if the points are colliding with a "solid" block.

Our player figure is two blocks high and one block wide. and blocks are 64 pixels wide and high.

The game is supposed to support keyboard use and gamepad use.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 06:44:27 AM by OllieTheSecondCrook » Logged
Klara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:24:31 AM »

Hello, my name is Klara and I'm one of the two graphic artists in this group. Today was the first day of the project weeks.

When we make these animations and images, we used the program Pyxeledit. When I make the player I use reference photos of crusade people to see what kind of clothes they had.

Today I've worked with the design of the player and his pose when he's standing still. He's supposed to be an inquisitor. The player is two blocks high and one block wide. Our blocks are 64x64 pixels. I'm working on the legs but it's hard to get them to look good. I'm also working on the details of the clothes.

Here is a GIF of one of the three enemies in the game. It's a slime with a skeleton in it that will follow you but from the ceiling. Its attack is to drop a blob of slime at you that will hurt you. The animation is not 100% done and can have a lot of improvement to make it look smoother.

This is the second enemy. It's a human with a giant mouth in its stomach. I'm actually not the one who did this one, it's the other graphic artist. The enemy's attack is to go to the player and bite it. This is not the done product. We will improve on the shading.

This is the last enemy that the other graphic artist made. It's an octopus that will shoot fire from its eye at the player. It will be improved by adding shade and more details to it.

//Klara

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:06:22 AM by Klara » Logged
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:44:15 AM »

the art looks really cool thus far, to my eye! Good luck with your project! ^_^

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 09:50:36 AM »

Noticed that a bunch of school projects from people with predominantly Swedish-looking names popped up here at the same time, so now I'm curious, haha. Blink Did your teacher(s) encourage you all to post here? Seems like a cool course! Lycka till!

Klara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 12:14:45 AM »

the art looks really cool thus far, to my eye! Good luck with your project! ^_^

Thank you for the feedback it means a lot to hear that you like the art so far!

//Klara

Klara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 12:17:09 AM »

Noticed that a bunch of school projects from people with predominantly Swedish-looking names popped up here at the same time, so now I'm curious, haha. Blink Did your teacher(s) encourage you all to post here? Seems like a cool course! Lycka till!

Hi!
Yes, we have two weeks in school where all the programmers and graphic artists make games and post it on a forum to get feedback.

//Klara
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 03:00:56 AM »

Cool project, good luck guys! Smiley The pixel art are very good!
I wait for some gameplay footage!

Games:

Klara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 04:09:15 AM »

Cool project, good luck guys! Smiley The pixel art are very good!
I wait for some gameplay footage!

Hi!
Thank you for the feedback! We will upload gameplay footage as soon as possible.

//Klara
Malin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 06:30:41 AM »

Hello,

My name is Malin and I'm the other graphic artist of this group. Today we have started to animate our enemies in the game. We decided to split up the characters that we were going to animate, since we had different ideas on how we wanted to do them. That's why I'm only going to post progress on the purple 'mouth monster' and the red 'octopus monster' that are shown in the other post.

This is the the first enemy that I have animated, it's not finished yet so that's why the walk cycle is a little wonky. Since I did create this monster I can give some insight as to why he looks the way he does and why he walks like that. So the idea was to create a sort of 'failed experiment' enemy that wasn't too gruesome-looking since this game is supposed to be pg-12 rated.

So I kind of just made a ginormous mouth growing out of him. He isn't actually dead but he is in constant pain and that's why he's always crying. The monster lives on him as a kind of sympiote that needs it's host to survive and that is why he isn't just a rotting corpse at this moment. I made him stagger in his walk cycle because I wanted it to look like he is in constant pain but he still has to bend to the monsters will since it takes up a majority of his body.

The next monster is the giant octopus. I haven't started animating this yet but I did make some changes on it because I forgot to draw 8 arms, so I just added another one to it. I'm debating wether not I should give it shadows because I think it looks pretty good the way it does. I created this one as well but I don't really have a reason as to why it should be an octopus, I just think they're neat.

//Malin
ExR
Level 0

:)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 12:39:51 PM »

Hi! My name is Edvin and I am also one of the programmers currently working on Kalopsia.

This marks the second day of work on the game so far and we are definitely making progress. I left off yesterday after finishing the code needed for the tilemaps, it needed to work for any map size we gave it which it now does, we can now also decide which level the player is currently on simply by changing an enum to the corresponding element which goes by the level name. As a result of this the next step became rather easy to implement, namely adding doors which—when interacted with—takes the player to the corresponding room/level, this was done as a List consisting of an "Interactable"-class array, one array for every room ( the "Interactable" class can hold any type of object in which the player is able to interact with, but is at the moment only used for doors). With this addition we are ready to create all the rooms we need in the game with the exception of potential rooms of higher importance, which would need more specific items and interactables to be added beforehand.

(Note: Most—if not all—textures added so far are placeholders made and added by me (not a graphic artist(hard to tell, I know)) and do therefore not represent how the final product will look.)

I also started working on adding long ranged weapons and their functions, specifically a precision-aiming function which let's the player aim anywhere on screen, I have made a bit of progress on this feature although there is still more work needed to do before it is finished. The player will also be able to quickly shoot left and right, however I have not begun implementing this feature yet.

The other programmers have also made a fair bit of progress today, Oliver—the programmer who posted yesterday—has implemented a main menu and a pause menu, he has also begun adding melee weapons along with their functions.
Lastly, the third programmer—who will remain a mystery-member until tomorrow when he introduces himself in the next programming update—has been busy implementing the first enemy type; The Acid slime.

//Edvin
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 02:47:22 PM by ExR » Logged

Hi
YeMan-Johan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 06:21:33 AM »

Hi! I´m the 3rd programmer, and today I´ve made the basics of all 3 enemies for the game. I made them follow the player and I also made their animations work. The "squid monster" does nothing right now other than the animation.

I also added graphics and animations to the player and the slime ball that the slime monster dropps.

I´m very hopeful about the project, the game runs great so far and the teamwork is just amazing!

//Johan Cool Toast Right Toast Left

Ye man
Klara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 06:26:48 AM »

Hi!
So today I've been working on the animation of the player.

I started with the walking animation. It was hard to bend the legs and make them look good since it's pixel graphic. After a while it looked good. When I previewed the animation I saw that the arms weren't as smooth as I wanted them. I then realized that it was because when I copied one of the frame before I forgot to change the arms. After that I noticed that since I drew a belt over his chest we couldn't just mirror the animation. I changed is so he had two belts instead that forms a cross.

I also made this animation of the player walking with a gun in his hand. It was really easy to do since I only had to copy the walking animation and then put the pistol arm in.

So this is the animation when the slime monster is dropping a slime and it lands on the floor. It was really easy to make since it's only 16x16 pixels

I started to work on a tileset but I only made six tiles so I have very much left to do.

//Klara
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:39:03 AM by Klara » Logged
OllieTheSecondCrook
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 05:58:24 AM »

Hello, today I've decided to scratch our entire melee class, and redo it, due to the weapon not following the player, and the hitboxes not working by a long shot. So Instead I've been making a method that makes collisions between a boundingcircle and a rectangle possible, this way the boundingcircle will have it's center at the players middle point, and the attack, since it's a quarters circle movement will stay inside the circle. Also I will use a rectangle to decide if I should even check for collisions, so that I don't end up hitting enemies behind me or above me. We've also made so that you can shoot with a quickfire button, and so that you can fire with precision, this way you can shoot the slimes that hang on the roof but quickly hit enemies that are on the floor chasing or attacking you.

//Oliver
Malin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 06:07:47 AM »

Hey guys it's ya grill here and today I've been working on attack animations for our monsters.

This dude right here is really fun to work with even though I complain about him all the time. So what he does is basically biting the player, unfortunatley I can't make the attack more detailed because of the pg-12 rule so no added details, like for example blood, can be added to his attack animation which makes his attack kinda boring, but I'm working on making it look good. He's not finished yet so bear with me.

Yesterday I also worked on our octopus's movement animation which isn't really much to be honest but it's honest work. I swear he'll become cooler(probably) when we release his attack animation.

That's it for me now, more updates will follow tomorrow from our other grill(Klara).
//Malin
Klara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 06:19:14 AM »

Hi!

So today I've been fixing the walking animation so that the leg that's closest to the wall is darker to make it clearer that it's behind the other leg. I think that it turned out pretty good since you can see a difference between the legs.

Here's the animation of the player swinging its sword. It was a bit difficult to make the sword spin since every time I rotated the arm I had to redesign the arm and the sword to make it look good due to the angle it was in.

Here's the last frame of the player's death animation. It was hard to make it look good because the chest needed to stand out a little bit because of the rib cage and it didn't look good at first. The result came out really good. I think it looks like a human lying down.

I tried to make a climb animation but it was really difficult to make it look good since I had to draw the player from the back and then make it look like his arms and legs were bending. I will try to make it again next week and hopefully it'll go better.

Good morning, and in case I don't see ya: Good afternoon, good evening, and good night! - Truman Burbank

//Klara
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:38:40 AM by Klara » Logged
ExR
Level 0

:)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 11:48:49 AM »

Hi! It's ya boi Edvin back with another update about the game's progress, it is now the end of the first week developing this game, which means we now have one more week left to work on the game.

I do not have much to show off this time as most of the things we have been working on recently have either been small or not-so-visible/noticeable things, since my last update I finished programming the long ranged weapons along with the quickfire function, it now works just like any hit-scan weapon should. Much like everything else in the game it can definitely still be improved upon, for example making it more obvious that you are- or have fired, but that can wait until every other major aspect is more or less finished.

Today I worked more on how the player selects what object to interact with, as the way it worked before was a bit off. It now works like planned however, where the object closest to the player is highlighted up until you press a button which let's you cycle through all objects you can interact with.

With a bit of help from everyone we also managed to fix the camera, which now places the room in the center of the screen as long as the room is not bigger than the screen, in which case the camera pans across the room based on the players position accordingly.

At this point we are almost done with adding the basics and there are only a handful of big features still missing, these include but are not limited to random enemy-spawns upon entering a non-safe room, an interface/UI along with a text-log that can be used to reveal important information to the player (which I have started on and plan to finish over the weekend), blocking, objectives for the player (one possible example of this being finding a code to a locked door). After these things are done we can start the fine-tuning the game to make it more and more playable.

//Edvin
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:14:03 PM by ExR » Logged

Hi
YeMan-Johan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 06:12:47 AM »

Hello, it's Johan Cool,

We programmers got a lot of work done today! We now have ladders, and all the monsters have attack animations.
I had a lot of trouble with the ladder, the player kept hovering all over the ceiling after climbing and everything was just crap. But I got a lot of help from master Edvin so it's working now.
Oliver had some trouble getting the player´s attack animation not to look like... well.. it´s impossible to describe the mess.. But he worked it out and now it looks really great.

We can also kill enemies and get killed by them now. Big mistake, the badass squid monster keeps killing me now.

Master Edvin got a lot of work done during the weekend so walking through doors looks really smooth now too, and the menu is badass.

Well, see you later //Johan Cool

Ye man
Malin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 06:35:24 AM »

Hi sisters and welcome back to another update!

Today I've been working on death animaton and for once I finished both of the monster I'm working on.

The first one I worked on was the 'mouth monster' guy and I kinda just made him fall over because wow I'm original. There's really nothing to it so I just settled with that. I made the monster bite it's tongue at the end because it reminded me of how cartoons  monster who get defeated look like, so I guess it's a homeage to that.

The second one, the 'squid monster', just sinks back into his tank with an 'X' over his eyes as kind of a homeage too similar to the 'mouth monster's tongue falling out. Originaly I wanted his tank to break so that he would fall out of it and he would just lay on the floor kinda useless, but since he's barely bigger than the player it didn't really work out so I had to think of another way.

Last time I also worked on the attack animations of the two characters and I finised working on the squid monster's attack and I thouched up on the mouth monster's attack.

The squid monster just shoots fire out of his eye like a boring person and while I had other ideas, we don't really have much time and it would be kind of a pain for our programmers to make it work the way I wanted it too.

The mouth monster guy just chomps down on you like a badass, hell yeah.

That's all for me, bye sisters!!!

//Malin

OllieTheSecondCrook
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 06:20:21 AM »

Today I've implemented the BigMouth-Monster's attack animation, and ability to deal damage to the player, I also fixed so you can't attack while climbing, or attack while dead.
Additionally we've implemented the death animation for all 3 enemies, and fixed so that the octopus attacks in sync with his animation. I've improved the players attack hitbox and so that the player hits correctly and only once per attack per enemy.

Today we had problems with getting the origin to work, and have also had trouble positioning the 6 collision-detection points correctly. but We've managed to fix it.

Finally today a few of us has started to look for soundeffects and music to use in our game.

------------------------------------------Big-Mouth Death----------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------Fire-Octopus Death-------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------Slime Death--------------------------------------------------------------

//Oliver
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic