Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:34:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKalopsia School Project
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Kalopsia School Project  (Read 4377 times)
Klara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 11:18:48 AM »

Hi!
So this weekend and days since I last wrote I've gotten a lot done.

I've made the death animation for the slime. It was really easy to make since it's just a jelly that hits the floor.

I've also worked on the player's animations. I'm done with the death animation. When I looked up other death animations I realized that it's common to make the player fall on their knees and then fall and land on their stomach. The problem was that I liked the frame with the player lying down on its back so I had to come up with another idea and made it look like the player kind of tripped and fell on its back.

I'm finally done with the climbing animation but it's not so good. I feel like due to the time limit we have, I don't have time to make a perfect climbing animation. In the GIF it looks like he's walking in a weird way but it looks better when he's moving upwards instead of moving in the same spot.

Me and the other graphic artist has been working on the tileset and are almost done. We will add some more stuff to put in the rooms since we will have about 6-8 rooms.

The first room is an example on how a room could look I also placed as much stuff as I could in the room to show you how it looked in the room.

The second room is how the main room probably will look. The main room is a room where you're safe and there will not spawn any enemies.

I'm the one that has worked on the tileset the most so I've made the most. The locker with different acids, the sheets with diagrams on it, the vents, the broken tank with water in it and the smaller similar tank with a creature in it is what the other graphic artist has done. They look really cool and the lockers are really detailed with all the different acids. So when I made the tileset I focused on getting a base so the game will function. I started with a simple wall and the blocks that are at the sides. I then made the platforms and the stairs so the were able to be put together. when I was done with the basics I started to add stuff to make it look cool. I had the idea to make a broken tv which you can see in one of the tilemaps. I consider if I should leave it in there or remove it because it really stands out and looks a little bit weird. A solution on the problem could be to tone down the blue colour of the tv so it won't stand out as much.

//Klara
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:33:08 AM by Klara » Logged
Malin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 06:10:37 AM »

Hey ARMY, lost this? Back again with another update.

Today I have been working on the main menu and I havent really been to prud of it because the scale of it is so large (1920x1080) and I use a larger pixel brush because of that and it's not really pretty. Second of all because of the content of our game(or our backstory for it) it has to be jungle teamed which is super annoying for me to draw. I based the temple of the Quetzalcoatl but I think it didn't turn out that great. It's still not finished but I don't really think I can pull this one off that great.

That's all I have to say really so, bye.

//Malin
ExR
Level 0

:)

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 02:03:37 PM »

Hello everyone! This is Edvin again, we are getting close to finishing the game now and only have a few more things to add, some of these things are: the HUD, respawning after dying, pick-ups & drops and lastly adding more rooms to the map.

Since yesterday I have added the spawning of enemies when entering rooms, this being done with a fair amount of for loops checking every possible tile that an enemy can fit in, checking if the spot fits certain criteria and then choosing one spot randomly, repeating for every enemy.

Today Oliver has also been working on a keycode system for doors, with a randomly generated code. With this added we are completely ready to add all the rooms we need, which is likely what we are going to spend most of tomorrow on doing.

(Try to ignore the big lime-green things as well as the fact that you cannot read some of the text on the keypad, the gif kept corrupting no matter what I did so this is the best I can give you.)

Lastly we also started looking for sound effects for the game and have begun adding all kinds of sounds, when we have the time we will definitely start implementing smell-o-vision as well.

// Edvin
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 10:00:23 AM by ExR » Logged

Hi
YeMan-Johan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 06:19:29 AM »

Hello, today, we have added pickups, fixed some bugs and added more sounds.
It took a long time before we figured out why the fire attacks stopped mid air if a slime started to attack.

Well, what´s more to say? the game is pretty much done. We have nice sound effects and background music.
The looks are finally headache free, so that´s a relife.

I can´t say much more other than "the game is awesome". Bye bye for now
//Johan Evil

Ye man
Klara
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 12:33:01 AM »

Hi
I didn't have time to make my devlog yesterday so I will write today instead.

I've done the animation when the player blocks an attack. He has his shield in his hands and walks with it. It was not hard to make since I just combined the sword animation and the walking animation. As you can see I also changed the colour of the player's gloves because when we added the tileset you weren't able to see the gloves very well since the were almost the exact same colour as the wall.

Me and the other artist made the main menu. Malin designed it and I changed some colours and added the text with our names and school. It may not be the best looking main menu but we didn't have time to make it look perfect. If we get more time we will probably make it look better.

//Klara
ExR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 02:49:00 PM »

Well, today was our last day working on this project, however this doesn't neccesarily mean that our work on the game is complete, we will have more chances to work on the game in the future and the possibility of us continuing work on this project through our free time is still there. None the less these past two weeks spent working on the game have been a blast, I guess I shouldn't speak for the others but I think I can—with a fair amount of certainty—say that their feelings are mutual.

As we have now come far enough in the development of the game to be able to stop development without the feeling that we missed something we have decided to give out a playable version of the game in it's current state, please feel free to give us any sort of feedback on the game if you decide on trying it out, we'd love to hear your opinion on what can be made better.

(Instant download link): https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1hRHVQRCCSMKplVeZN5r7jRAaspWRSA4S (OUTDATED! Check below for latest build)
(The button layout can be brought up by holding down the back button on your controller)

With much love from everyone involved we hope you have a wonderful time with our creation. Cheers Toast Right
// Edvin
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:29:28 PM by ExR » Logged

Hi
Devilkay
Level 2

Hi! First game-dev experience!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2019, 02:38:15 AM »

pixel art very simply but very nice!
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2019, 12:59:41 AM »

Congratulations for the project!  Smiley
It would be great a video of gameplay, just to know what I will expect if I download the game.

Games:

ExR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 11:35:24 AM »

Congratulations for the project!  Smiley
It would be great a video of gameplay, just to know what I will expect if I download the game.

I'm very late and I'm terribly sorry for that! I stopped checking here for a while and it seems like no one else in the team have checked in here recently either. A lot has been added in the past month to make the game feel more complete, so I will now be giving out the new version which also comes with extended credits for the game and a text file with instructions on how to play.

(Renewed Instant download link): https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1G4MUhCYRivGoldFQBXg93Frj1Zqdl0YY

At the time of writing this I am also uploading a gameplay video of the full game which can be accessed here:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/DGw7jc16vrg
(As long as you weren't lightning-quick and got here only around an hour after this was posted, as the video is at the time of posting this still being processed)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2023, 02:25:54 PM by ExR » Logged

Hi
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2019, 12:21:28 AM »

To be your first projects it is really done well guys!  Smiley
I really like the story prologue before the main menu, it adds context and motivation to the player to explore the game. Also the main menu has the player walking in the background, I like that when you start the game, you instantly possess the player instead of a loading screen.
I think that the design of the game has some bad design from the 80's, like the dialog box on the bottom right of the screen instead of a dialog box that is visible only when it is needed.

Games:

ExR
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2019, 10:32:28 AM »

To be your first projects it is really done well guys!  Smiley
I really like the story prologue before the main menu, it adds context and motivation to the player to explore the game. Also the main menu has the player walking in the background, I like that when you start the game, you instantly possess the player instead of a loading screen.
I think that the design of the game has some bad design from the 80's, like the dialog box on the bottom right of the screen instead of a dialog box that is visible only when it is needed.

Thank you for the feedback! It's greatly appreciated. I may likely try and rework the dialog box in the future as I also think it has it's problems, I am currently working on adding particles and doing other minor tweaks to make the game feel nicer, I will probably also have to both add more and re-work some of the already existing audio in the game sometime in the future.

These are some of the things I have added visually:

Hi
Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 01:10:39 AM »

The particles are really nice!

Games:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2019, 09:47:54 AM »

The particles are a nice touch, I think, and that fireball looks good to me. ^_^

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic