Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:49:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallLearn Japanese the fun way - NihongoUp
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Learn Japanese the fun way - NihongoUp  (Read 1724 times)
seifip
Level 0

divita

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2009, 05:36:04 AM »

Hi everyone, I hope that I'm not breaking any rules Smiley

I recently finished my new Japanese learning game and reviewing tool NihongoUp. It can improve one’s kana typing speed as well as help one review the kanji, vocab and particles.

Feel free to try it out at http://nihongoup.com/ ^^

As it's made with Adobe AIR, the game is compatible with Windows, OS X and Linux...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 03:57:30 AM by seifip » Logged

design is like a puzzle... I'm just trying to solve it now
Portfolio | Japanese Blog | Learn Japanese | Japanese Forum
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 07:14:10 PM »

Curiousity: How hard/easy is it to develop for AIR? Does it create standalones, needs some kind of virtual machine to be installed, does it have some damn vsync, etc.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
John Nesky
Level 10

aka shaktool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 08:01:27 PM »

Curiousity: How hard/easy is it to develop for AIR?
Not much harder than developing normal Flex programs. Read the documentation and API, and be comfortable using the command line compiler and creating XML config files and MXML GUIs. All of the standard Flash classes, Flex classes, and additional AIR classes for window management and stuff are available in AIR.
Does it create standalones,
Yes.
needs some kind of virtual machine to be installed,
Yes. But Adobe is pretty good at automating this part. The first time you try to download an AIR program it will download the thing your computer needs to run AIR.
does it have some damn vsync
No.
MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 08:51:23 PM »

I really hope this gets the press it deserves. Such a beautiful game, educational, and it's less than 10 dollars! Very announcement worthy in my book Smiley

seifip
Level 0

divita

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 11:56:06 PM »

I really hope this gets the press it deserves. Such a beautiful game, educational, and it's less than 10 dollars! Very announcement worthy in my book Smiley

I hope so too but it's really hard to get any press for an educational game (and especially a Japanese educational game) Sad

design is like a puzzle... I'm just trying to solve it now
Portfolio | Japanese Blog | Learn Japanese | Japanese Forum
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 01:26:57 AM »

Pretty slick. If I remembered any Japanese from my early High School classes, I'd be impressed. At the moment though, I'm simply perplexed  Embarrassed. Um, so, are there plans for a Super-Beginner mode? So you look at a bunch of katakana and hirigana, but the english pops up too? Then, after a little practice you enter the area with no translation? Be kind of nice.

EDIT: Or have an option to flash up an english translation once the balloon plummets out of view. That'd be nice.

As for marketing... have you tried aiming at educational institutions? Or! Anime sites? I'm sure there's a large group of people who would love to be able to read the original Japanese, if only they had a nice learning tool. And this is rather nice.

Good luck with this! Noble cause.

Beer!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 01:31:24 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 08:50:40 AM »

As for marketing... have you tried aiming at educational institutions? Or! Anime sites? I'm sure there's a large group of people who would love to be able to read the original Japanese, if only they had a nice learning tool. And this is rather nice.
Sir Gainsworthy, you are a wise man.

I also agree that having a way for people who know nothing about the language to learn a few basic words is a good idea & could possibly help out with your marketing. As a reviewer, if I could spend 5-10 minutes playing your game and learn a few words or simple phrases, I'd be impressed.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 04:13:15 AM »

Got to try it a bit, and it seems interesting, though I too can't really play it since I don't have even basic knowledge of japanese.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic