Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:20:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDo you remember Quick Basic? I do.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Do you remember Quick Basic? I do.  (Read 4906 times)
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 11:05:19 PM »

I never made anything interesting with it nor did I learn much beyond loops, but basic was still my first programming language.

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 06:21:33 AM »

Ah, QB! Wink

Just like so many other people here, QuickBASIC 4.5 was the first language I coded in, back when I first became interested in writing games.  In fact, one of the main inspirations when I wrote Afterlife: Rickard's Quest was to re-incorporate some elements from a game I'd written many years ago in QB, called "Stick You", a platformer in which the player character was a stick (yes, as in a bit of wood) - a conceit I went with primarily because a little brown line was one of the easiest things to draw on the screen using "LINE"! Tongue

Shame I don't have copies of most of my old QB games now, actually. Sad

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 09:15:05 PM »

That's really advanced. I used to add a few PSET lines at a time and run to see how it looked.

I was like 25 at the time Tongue.  But yeah, I'd been using QuickBasic, and BASIC in general off and on since I was maybe 10 years old.  That drawing program was pretty much the culmination of all my worldly BASIC knowledge crammed into a solid month of hard work.

I pretty much stick to game makers now.  The only other "language" I've ever bothered to learn was HyperTalk for HyperCard.  I think BASIC and HyperCard kind of spoiled me, because I can't understand these new-fangled, fancy OOP languages for shit.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »

Hypercard was amazing.  Beer!

I still remember the King's Quest-like I made in Hypercard which was based on Alice in Wonderland.  And of course I did my fair share of stickman-death animations like *everyone* else.  :D

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 08:52:36 PM »

I too learned to program in QBasic. I made a two-button, four player Tron game. I have a vague idea that I started working on something using sprites, but it was a while back. Scrolling levels seemed really confusing at the time, and anything using 3D was essentially magic.

Did anyone else learn the language using the RadioHands tutorials?
Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 06:51:33 AM »

Hah - I actually learned QB from the manual explaining Spectrum Basic that came with my ZX+2! Tongue

gummikana
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 10:00:16 PM »

Oh god yes I remember Quick Basic. It was awesome.

Here are some random things I did.

Before I learned about SCREEN I created all my "graphics" with LOCATE and PRINT. I did a platformer this way. And logic was, that if player pressed forward I would GOTO to another section where I would draw the whole room again with LOCATE and PRINT but the player would be drawn in a different spot. I did for about 10 rooms all together with this elaborate technique.

When I learned about SCREEN I did all my graphics with DRAW function. I made a graphics editor that would allow me to move around one pixel at a time. And then it would print the DRAW data on the screen. I would then write it down and the rewrite it in code and I would have awesome graphics.

I can't remember where I got it, but I found a "showpcx.exe" which would draw a PCX file on the screen if the screenmode was right. It would also change the palette to the palette of the image. This with Deluxe Paint was heaven on earth.

Petri Purho
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic