Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:34:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralStadia - is this the future? or the end?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Stadia - is this the future? or the end?  (Read 2486 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2019, 12:46:57 PM »

hey so now there are answers about the business model and even with the subscription service you still have to pay for games
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2019, 12:59:30 PM »

I predict that this will be important for MMOs, but not good for much else.

fluffrabbit
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2019, 02:48:50 PM »

Imagine Ubisoft publishing the next version of Wheel of Fortune on Stadia, and targeting 720p as the resolution. Imagine what kind of audience that could reach if they can access it with a single click in a browser.

I'm imagining old people.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 02:53:01 PM »

millenials are actually the generation with the most unhealthy relationship with the passive medium of television
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2019, 03:10:32 PM »

Here's my take in the form of a haiku...

looks like it will flop

google+

but for games i guess

Facepalm
fluffrabbit
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2019, 03:15:01 PM »

millenials are actually the generation with the most unhealthy relationship with the passive medium of television
Then I must be some kind of crypto-anarchist fringe hacker far removed from the mainstream because I don't even own a TV.

It's not just that he mentioned Wheel of Fortune, it's the other aspects as well. 720p is a realistic streaming resolution, which also happens to match the resolution of my grandparents' low-end LCD television. Also, the "single click in a browser" pitch is one I've heard many, many times.

Here's the deal: You can compile your games for the browser already. Unity and Godot have this export feature, though it may be lacking in terms of compatibility. My own engine is even more compatible, targeting WebGL 1.0 and pre-ASM.js features. Any low-spec game could run well under these conditions if done right, and you can even take it a step further and use Phaser.js with no WebGL at all.

So where does the streaming fit in? Marketing. When Grandma sees Google's big-budget ad featuring a big-budget eldritch creature that's supposed to look like Regis, Grandma exclaims "Regis!" and throws her money at the screen. She gets to "play the video through the email" (or however her Alzheimer's brain perceives it). Server-side compression also tends to introduce smoothing artifacts to further remove the resemblence to a "game". No, it's just a "show" or a "video".
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 03:26:49 PM »

Then I must be some kind of crypto-anarchist fringe hacker far removed from the mainstream because I don't even own a TV.
same
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 03:28:45 PM »

if they let the service run without having to buy their shit then i could see myself paying for a couple of blockbuster games and streaming them rather than waiting 3 years into the life of the new consoles for them to be affordable. but i guess you need their controller or something
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2019, 05:05:27 AM »

same
same

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic