Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:35:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopPixel Art Feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Art Feedback  (Read 8574 times)
LunarWater
Level 0

Water on the Moon

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2019, 06:19:24 AM »

Hello

I've been working on these for about 2 days now and was hoping for some feedback to see if these are good or still need work.

I thank anyone that comes by and looks or leaves a comment about it.

1) Bookstore inside

2) Bookstore Outside

3) Character

4) Dirt and Grass, and Concert and Grass

References.

Character Reference.

GTA5 in SNES 16-bit style by Machinima

GTA5 in C64 by Welcome to the 80's

For the Building.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pixel+art+buildings&rlz=1C1SQJL_enCA831CA831&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjRk5XiuJ3hAhXJ1lkKHRoSC7IQ_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=969#imgrc=j-q1Yt0BGQf_jM:

Shop Inside.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1SQJL_enCA831CA831&biw=1920&bih=969&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=2d-YXNDOBOeFggeg5qzACw&q=old+bookstores+inside&oq=old+bookstores+inside&gs_l=img.3...2540.5243..5323...1.0..0.89.665.8......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i30j0i5i30j0i24.oPG1mcSLmzc#imgrc=5Pu_a2Tt2GzmEM:

Land Tiles.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/27/bb/f7/27bbf79998317ed46ebab78e8d936172.png
LunarWater
Level 0

Water on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 08:55:35 AM »

Hello

I've been working on pixel animation (I know they are just frames and not a real animation but that's why I'm here) and I'm hoping for some feedback. This character is only for practice so I can get the hang of pixel art but for now I'm I going in the right direction or I'm I way off and need much more practice because I really want to get better at pixel art.

Thank you to anyone that looks or leaves a comment.  Smiley   

Most of the frames I use the GTAV videos and with a little help from this Animation walk cycle video

Dune
Level 0

Hey!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 08:27:49 PM »

I think you could improve your bookstore sprites by toning down the bright colors of the books. You chose a soothing, duller blue palette that works well for the floor and the storefront, so desaturating the books a bit will help them match better. Also, I just noticed one of your books is empty (middle furthest-right shelf). I think the color variation in the carpet and dirt is a nice touch, you should try doing that with the grass as well (or maybe add flowers, rocks, etc.) As for your walking sprites, you should try making a gif so we can see it in action! Judging from the stills, I think you're heading in the right direction. The arms look really thin when your character moves them away from their body--you might want to try making them 1px thicker, or bending them so it looks a bit more natural. In the GTA video, the arms have a 1px outline, so they don't seem as thin. Also, I wonder if adding a crease where the leg bends in your back walking sprites might make things more interesting than just shortening the leg. Hope this helps!

Also I just wanted to say, congrats on taking the first step and putting your work out there! Coffee You've picked some good references and it's a great idea to start with something simple to get the hang of making sprite art and animating. Good luck with your project! Grin
LunarWater
Level 0

Water on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 05:50:25 AM »

I think you could improve your bookstore sprites by toning down the bright colors of the books. You chose a soothing, duller blue palette that works well for the floor and the storefront, so desaturating the books a bit will help them match better. Also, I just noticed one of your books is empty (middle furthest-right shelf). I think the color variation in the carpet and dirt is a nice touch, you should try doing that with the grass as well (or maybe add flowers, rocks, etc.) As for your walking sprites, you should try making a gif so we can see it in action! Judging from the stills, I think you're heading in the right direction. The arms look really thin when your character moves them away from their body--you might want to try making them 1px thicker, or bending them so it looks a bit more natural. In the GTA video, the arms have a 1px outline, so they don't seem as thin. Also, I wonder if adding a crease where the leg bends in your back walking sprites might make things more interesting than just shortening the leg. Hope this helps!

Also I just wanted to say, congrats on taking the first step and putting your work out there! Coffee You've picked some good references and it's a great idea to start with something simple to get the hang of making sprite art and animating. Good luck with your project! Grin

Thanks for Commenting. I changed everything you suggested and I think they look better because of it.
LunarWater
Level 0

Water on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 06:18:51 AM »

It's been a wail since I posted here because I was programming my main game mechanic and making new sprites for the game what can I say this stuff takes time.  Shrug

I've made some more sprites over the last 3-4 weeks and placed them into Unity to see how it would look and to help with figure out how make the player sprite walk in front for the object then walk behind it and BE behind it. I have a video to show that and the animation for my player character I still need to make some adjustments to it. All movement is done by a Xbox One Controller.

Anyway here are some pictures & a video enjoy.  Smiley

24/7 Laundromat with Apartment above.

Video

References

Map Reference

Mafia 3 Map

Other References

Google Maps/Street View

LunarWater
Level 0

Water on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 06:23:53 AM »

Forgot One Image Embarrassed

Public Washroom

LunarWater
Level 0

Water on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 11:08:30 AM »

Hello Again...

I've been working on more art. Just wanted to know what you think. Is it good  Hand Thumbs Up Left, trash  Hand Thumbs Down Right or just needs a little fix.

I thank anyone that comes along to look at these images. I hope you have a great day.  Smiley

Thank You.

Gas Station Buildings

Gas Station Signs

Other Gas Station Things

Doors, Gas Pump step, and Large Metal Pole.

Weapons Shop

Target Range Enemy

Lastly... User Interface Icons

Drugs you can use in the game and a fist when you don't have a weapon.

LunarWater
Level 0

Water on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2019, 06:02:40 AM »

Hello Again...

This is the first time I drew a vehicle front, back, and both side pieces. what do you think good Hand Thumbs Up Left or trash Hand Thumbs Down Left or need more work.

I thank anyone that comes along to look at these images. I hope you have a great day.  Smiley

Vehicle

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic