Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:55:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrashman
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Trashman  (Read 16703 times)
MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »

Trashman

Trashman is a project I am working on with a group of very talented developers. Trashman has been in development for roughly 8 months and we are really proud of how far the game has come. That said, we are still working hard on making the game even better! Below are a few screenshots of the game:

Before I continue I would like to personally thank all of you, the indie developers, for inspiring people like us to make games. And I would like to thank the rest of the Trashman team for putting up with me!
Beer! Cheers and hats off to all of you! Gentleman

DOWNLOAD THE EARLY DEMO

BACKGROUND STORY
Trashman is a side-scroller that takes place in the no so distant future, when garbage and general pollution are over-running the Earth. To manage the situation and save mankind, the nations of the planet collaborate and build a space station that can recycle the garbage and improve the planet. Just as things start looking better, a strange crystal-like structure nearly crashes into the space station and releases a mysterious gas known as "zytron". As the zytron covers the space station, robots on board begin to revolt, capturing and killing the humans they were once loyal to. In a last-ditch effort to save survivors on the space station, Ares, the first zytron-immune robot was created. Humanity's fate rests on Ares's robotic shoulder!

QUICK NOTE
Even though the we are still working on the game and adding new features, we encourage you to check out our website, download the demo, tell us your thoughts, and tell your friends about our game. We want to make Trashman the best game it can be, but we can't do that without your support. Now go destroy some robots! Evil

MORE INFO
Forum: http://forum.x10studio.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/trashmangame
Facebook: http://bit.ly/Y5t2S
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 07:03:50 AM by MrChocolateBear » Logged

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 07:26:28 PM »

I've been watching this for a while now, and I have to say, it looks ridiculously awesome.  Can't wait for more updates.  Grin

MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 07:29:07 PM »

I've been watching this for a while now, and I have to say, it looks ridiculously awesome.  Can't wait for more updates.  Grin
Thanks, Masna! Oh, those updates are coming soon! Smiley
Have you had a chance to play the demo?

CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:47:48 PM »

that does look good.  great work  Shocked Hand Thumbs Up Right

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 08:07:07 PM »

This is VERY beautiful. I'll play it later!
MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 08:43:31 PM »

Thank you all! The team has really put a lot of work in to this game and it means a lot to hear such good things from other indie developers!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 09:15:20 PM »

I tried out the demo.  I liked it quite a bit.  The game looked great for one.

My main criticism is that jumping needs to be much smoother.

I'll definitely keep an eye on this project.  It looks pretty awesome so far.

MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 09:49:01 PM »

My main criticism is that jumping needs to be much smoother.
Could you go in to more detail? Also, if anyone else feels the same, please chime in. This kind of feedback is very helpful!

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 10:10:29 PM »

Well, it feels like a sudden burst up followed by a sudden burst down.  I think if you slowed down jumping a bit, it might help.  Generally when jumping feels jagged, it's because it's a constant speed going up followed by a constant speed going down (rather than slowing down when you reach the peak of the jump and speeding up as you fall).  Although I'm not sure if that's what's going on in this case, as it seemed like the speed might have changed.  I think the problem is the jump is just so fast that there isn't time to make enough gradual changes in speed.

MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 10:44:13 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! I just booted up the game to take a closer look and I think I see what you mean. I'll definitely bring it up to the team. Nice find!

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 06:35:26 AM »

I really don't like the controls. Using the left mouse button to shoot, but having to still hold the direction is one thing. But making RMB jump / roll? It just feels awkward.
Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 07:58:48 AM »

strider 2 was a really good game
MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 08:12:50 AM »

I really don't like the controls. Using the left mouse button to shoot, but having to still hold the direction is one thing. But making RMB jump / roll? It just feels awkward.
One of the things we are adding to the game is the ability for players to modify the default controls. If you could modify the default controls, what would you change them to? It would be helpful is a lot of people could post their ideal layouts. If we start to notice a pattern in ideal layouts, the team will most likely change the defaults to match.

strider 2 was a really good game
I've never had the pleasure of playing strider 2, but I checked out a few videos and there are definitely a number of gameplay concepts and mechanics that are similar. I'll have to see if I can get my hands on a copy! :D

Lots of good feedback! Thanks a lot, everyone!

Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 08:50:58 AM »

i havent actually played your game yet; but strider 2 was a really good game
MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 10:40:34 AM »

i havent actually played your game yet; but strider 2 was a really good game
Well I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you've played it. Thanks again for pointing out Strider 2. I'll have to see if anyone else on the team has played it. Smiley

Just a quick overview of what the dev team is up to:
  • As always, we're working on improving the game for the next build
  • Creating forums so people have a place to leave feedback on the game
  • Making some minor modifications to the website
  • Looking for a copy of Strider 2 <- That's me
  • Playing lots of Mega Man 9 <- That's me too

Pretty soon, we should have a build that has more features and more fun!

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 01:30:57 PM »

Looks really polished!  Will it be cross-platform?  I'm on Mac

MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 01:46:32 PM »

Looks really polished!  Will it be cross-platform?  I'm on Mac
Unfortunately, we don't have any plans to port the game to Macs. However, we are strongly considering releasing a version of the game on the Xbox360. I would encourage you to look in to windows emulators for Macs, as that might be a possible solution to playing windows-based games. Sorry Sad

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 02:19:28 PM »

One of the things we are adding to the game is the ability for players to modify the default controls. If you could modify the default controls, what would you change them to? It would be helpful is a lot of people could post their ideal layouts. If we start to notice a pattern in ideal layouts, the team will most likely change the defaults to match.

WASD for directions.

LMB for shooting (but depending on where the mouse is, you shoot in that direction. So if the mouse is NW, you shoot NW.)

Space for jump.

S and Space to roll.

Awesome that you are adding custom controls. Always nice.
MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 02:41:09 PM »

Thanks for the quick response Inanimate! Smiley

Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 02:55:07 PM »

Well what language are you writing it in?  I'm on a Mac, too; that's why I haven't been able to play the demo. Panda  If it's something like C++, or even Java, I imagine it'd be somewhat easy to build a port.  Shrug

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic