Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:18:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrashman
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Trashman  (Read 16688 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 03:31:06 PM »

Yeah, I don't think mouse should control shooting unless it also controls aiming.

MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 03:59:13 PM »

Well what language are you writing it in?  I'm on a Mac, too; that's why I haven't been able to play the demo. Panda  If it's something like C++, or even Java, I imagine it'd be somewhat easy to build a port.  Shrug
The game's engine is written in XNA which while making the game significantly harder to port to Macs, it makes is significantly easier to port to the Xbox360.

Yeah, I don't think mouse should control shooting unless it also controls aiming.
Thanks for the feedback. It seems that there may be a general consensus forming on the topic. I encourage people to keep leaving their thoughts about this, so we can make changes, if need be. Smiley

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 06:03:44 PM »

This game is win.
I'm very happy I set up my xbox controller yesterday.

Though having one of the buttons being menu was quite annoying.  WTF
I hit the menu quite a lot.

But the art was sweet I really dig the style.
An awesomely executed 2.5d game you've got here. Beer!

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 06:52:14 PM »

This game is win.
I'm very happy I set up my xbox controller yesterday.

Though having one of the buttons being menu was quite annoying.  WTF
I hit the menu quite a lot.

But the art was sweet I really dig the style.
An awesomely executed 2.5d game you've got here. Beer!
Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the game. Apparently we need to think a little more about how we handle input, so that is something I will bring up to the rest of the team. We're really excited about this game and it's great to be getting all this positive feedback!

JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2009, 12:45:22 AM »

How much is it going to cost? Or is that still to be determined? Or is it going to be freeware on PC and payware on consoles, like Metanet's N? I mean, it looks like it's being made by a professional team, but there's also a donate link, which confuses me.
MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 01:51:42 AM »

How much is it going to cost? Or is that still to be determined? Or is it going to be freeware on PC and payware on consoles, like Metanet's N? I mean, it looks like it's being made by a professional team, but there's also a donate link, which confuses me.
Pricing for the game (on both platforms) is still being determined at this stage; however, the cost will be an appropriate price for the content players receive. We are considering options such as releasing the game as freeware on PC and payware on consoles, as well as offering the game at a relatively low cost on both platforms. When these decisions are finalized, you all will be the first to know. Smiley

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2009, 12:02:44 AM »

What? What? What?

If this game is even half as good as Strider 2, you deserve my money.  I must get the demo.  Addicted

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2009, 12:05:50 AM »

What? What? What?

If this game is even half as good as Strider 2, you deserve my money.  I must get the demo.  Addicted
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of Strider 2, but check out the early release demo and let us know your thoughts! Smiley

Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 07:40:04 PM »

It's a bit odd, the game didn't recognize my gamepad.  I use a Logitech wireless rumblepad, if that means anything.  So I used the mouse+keyboard...

I dunno, it was kinda weird.  Jumping with the right mouse button and pointing up and...it might have felt okay with a gamepad.  For some reason it was *really* awkward on the keyboard.  I can't really explain why, I just wasn't comfortable with the control scheme.

Other than that, it's looking vera nice.  I'll be interested to see the outcome of this project.   Smiley

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 07:45:55 PM »

Thanks for the input. We're doing some work on the controls, trying to figure out what will work best in terms of keyboard and mouse input. The next build of the game will have custom controls for the mouse and keyboard, so hopefully that will mitigate the control problem.

In other news, Trashman now has a facebook page, so I encourage all of you to join! Smiley
Here's the link: http://bit.ly/Y5t2S

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2009, 10:15:50 AM »

I'm going to email you shortly Mr.Bear. Should you see Somjade before you read your mail, or speak to him, tell him to give me a shout. I miss our chats  Undecided

Also, i love your enthusiasm, gets ME all excited too hehe! Screamy

MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2009, 11:08:11 AM »

Also, i love your enthusiasm, gets ME all excited too hehe! Screamy
Awesome! Good to see other people going crazy over the game! Beer!

Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 06:20:29 AM »

hey i finally played it. your presentation is really nice and everything but the game is really pretty clunky but it sound like it's being addressed so whatever.
MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 06:23:10 AM »

hey i finally played it. your presentation is really nice and everything but the game is really pretty clunky but it sound like it's being addressed so whatever.
Clunky how? In terms of controls or something else?

Super Joe
BANNED
Level 9

let's go

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 06:48:21 AM »

controls and jumping basically, but those have already been brought up
MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 07:05:15 AM »

Ah. Thanks Smiley

Joseph
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 11:32:54 PM »

Nice graphics, i need to give it a try!
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 11:37:05 PM »

One thing I noticed is it's kind of hard to shoot diagonally.
Since you run and shoot diagonally, same goes for shooting diagonally downwards.
Shooting down in general just seemed a bit hard for some reason using the Xbox360 controller.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 07:38:29 AM »

Nice graphics, i need to give it a try!
Indeed, you do! I think it's a really fun game, though I am a little biased. :D

One thing I noticed is it's kind of hard to shoot diagonally.
Since you run and shoot diagonally, same goes for shooting diagonally downwards.
Shooting down in general just seemed a bit hard for some reason using the Xbox360 controller.
Thanks, Bones! We're iterating on the control schemes (keyboard and 360 controller), since that has generated a lot of feedback, but once we figure that out and add a few things to the game, we plan on releasing a new build. Some of the things we want to add to the game (not all in the next build):
  • Changeable controls
  • Profile system
  • Improved story
  • More music & sound effects
  • More levels
  • More enemies
  • More bosses
  • Any other features we think of along the way! Tongue

We appreciate all the feedback we've been given, so keep it coming! When you are playing through the game, I encourage you to think about what things you like and what you think could be improved upon. How do you like story, cutscenes, music, enemies, and level design? Are parts of the game too easy, while others are too hard? Did the tutorial tell you everything you needed to know? Although finding bugs in the game is always a tremendous help, feedback in these other areas also affect our development. We want players to Addicted and  Hand Metal Left Shocked Hand Metal Right while playing our game, but we need your opinions to make it happen! Grin

Aaron P
Level 0

!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2009, 12:19:29 AM »

Hey,

I played the Trashman demo and i must say, i'm very impressed and intrigued by this project. That being said, I played the demo using the 360 controller and here are my thoughts:

+ Graphics have a great 2.5 d feel to it, and the atmosphere is awesome.
+ The inventory menu was pretty straight foward and easy to navigate.

- This has been touched before, but obviously the controls need tweaking. Here is a suggestion...

Left Analog stick = Move
Right Analog Stick = Aim
Right Trigger = Fire
Left Bumper/Button = Jump

This way, the user's hands never leave it's intial position, the user never has to Run and shoot to shoot diagonally and can freely aim in all directions from both a standstill, jumping, and running situation. This will probably require you to develop a new control system that includes a backward running animation ( for instance, the user is running to the right but shooting to the left ), but in the end this is MUCH more user friendly and would add %100 playability to this project.

- The music is obviously to lend to the action packed presentation, but consequently it feels cheezy at times ( especially when sending for Valkarye's special cannon and the music burst into a guitar rage...I was kinda like... Roll Eyes

Other than that, i absolutely cannot wait to see more.  Hand Clap
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic