Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:44:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)I programmed 6 1k javascript games in the past 2 weeks for JS1k
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I programmed 6 1k javascript games in the past 2 weeks for JS1k  (Read 1192 times)
FrankForce
Level 2

This tepid water is tasteless.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 01, 2019, 02:49:11 PM »

Hi, everyone. For the past couple weeks I've just been in a trance making 1k javascript games. I really tried hard to explore the space and cover as many bases as possible while still delivering high quality content. I've been making games for over 20 years and I really think this is some of my best work.

I want to go into more detail on each of these because they were so much fun to make and I learned a ton, about not just javascript but game design, programming architecture, and life itself. The contest just ended last night so for now I need to rest a bit.

So here's my suite of 1k javascript programs, with links to JS1k submissions...

• Queen's Gambit – A mashup of Robotron:2018 and chess! There are only 10 levels and so far no one has beaten it!
  • The Digit Dilemma -  A seriously hard puzzle game with randomly generated levels, a completely new puzzle concept I came up with.
  • ZzFX - A zmall open zource zound fx maker for your java zcript gamez. Click on the logo to copy/paste seeds.
  • One Thousand Free Cells – Freecell solitaire with cool randomly generated card art in 1k.
  • Infinite Yin Yangs – Based on my shadertoy shader but minified and wrapped in javascript using webgl.
  • Tiny Ski – This was my first one, a ascii skiing game. Not quite as good as the others, but still pretty cool.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 07:31:09 PM »

Ok that's pretty fucking cool. Particularly queens gambit and ZzFX.

kason.xiv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 12:52:05 PM »

just killed some time at work playing the digit dilemma :p super fun, good work man
buto
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 01:05:30 PM »

Really cool stuff!

FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 09:19:36 PM »

Thanks for the kind words all! I'm writing up a post with some of the tricks I used. I had to do some crazy stuff that I've never done in my 20 years of programming.

Kason - do you happen to remember what level you got to?
InfiniteStateMachine - Thanks! I'm working on a slightly more polished queens gambit to put up on itch.
kason.xiv
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 12:35:06 PM »

Kason - do you happen to remember what level you got to?

I think level 8. It started out super difficult because it took me a level or two to understand the mechanics. Once I understood it got quite easy - then around level 6 or so the difficulty began to scale up super fast Tongue
spd3
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 01:01:59 AM »

I played The Digit Dilemma way longer than I was expecting to.

@SwdPwnzDggr
FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 02:54:15 PM »

Hi, I hope everyone is having a good weekend!

Since everyone is mentioning digit dilemma, I made a better version of it with color, auto saving, touch screen support etc. I also added + and - blocks, thinking about what else I can add. It's hard enough already!
The Digit Dilemma - Super Turbo Edition

Also, I don't know why I didn't mention this one but during js1k I tried to make 1 more before the deadline. I had it basically done, but I guess I had just missed the time. Anyway, I wanted to use some of the stuff from my other demos to make a game with random graphics and sound. Not my best one but it's an interesting proof of concept.
Rand Space (loud audio warning)

Right now I been working on a procedural tweet generator. You can follow my progress on that at:
https://www.dwitter.net/u/KilledByAPixel

Here's a few of the best ones I made with it so far...

Plus bonus DLC dweet for my js1k game "Queen's Gambit"
FrankForce
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 10:54:30 AM »

Bumping the thread because I just finished my epic postmortem about the experience. Thanks for reading!

My epic JS1k postmortem.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 08:19:26 PM by FrankForce » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic