Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1366180 Posts in 64016 Topics- by 55902 Members - Latest Member: BlueSoft Tech

September 18, 2019, 06:18:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallMy Game engine + Game video
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My Game engine + Game video  (Read 493 times)
ongamex
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2019, 06:09:38 AM »

Hello all,

I'm new here, not sure if this is the right place to introduce myself.
So I'm a fulltime programmer, I do ray-tracing and fluid dynamics there. At home I'm writing a game engine and a game in C++. The engine has a level editor, asset pipeline, support Windows and Linux, works with both D3D11 and OpenGL.

The game that think I'm making is something like "Chips Challange" + "Sheep dog n Wolf/Sheep Raider" + "Super Mario"... aaand unfortunately I really reel down, as I'm pretty alone in my life as a gamedeveloper, almost nobody cares and on top of that I feel like I'm out of ideas I do not know how I want to continue that project(or If I want to continue it).

So I've decided to introduce my humble project to the world with the hope that the online community will boost my motivation and will help me generate ideas.

So I did a video about it, you can see it here:

EDIT:
I plan to be active here, but other wise you can find me:
https://twitter.com/ongamex92
https://www.instagram.com/ongamex92/
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 09:14:43 AM by ongamex » Logged
ThemsAllTook
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 10:59:34 AM »

Wow, that video was surprisingly relatable. That could almost have been me if I'd made a few different decisions. I'm in a situation where I have a game framework I've been tinkering with for several years in my spare time, which in a lot of ways reminds me of what you've shown here. One major difference though is that I've very deliberately avoided making it into an actual engine - it's meant primarily as a repository of reusable techniques I've developed over the years for each game or experimental project I've worked on. To help keep myself grounded, I have a rule where I don't add anything to the framework that's not motivated directly by a need in a project that uses it. No writing extra features that might not ever get used.

For your Chip's Challenge game, I feel like you might get some benefit out of making a more dedicated level editor. I'd feel pretty overwhelmed if I had that many different objects and properties that could be tweaked at any time when I just wanted to lay out some simple blocks and mechanisms. Even if you're used to it, I have to wonder if the extra cognitive load of all the possibilities makes it feel harder to sit down and actually design something fun. Firm constraints can be great for creativity.

The split compilation of the game executable and DLL was a pretty neat trick. I wasn't sure at first how you were going to pull that off. Dynamism like that always makes me nervous - I tend to want my code to be as static as possible so there's less state for potential problems to creep in. This sure makes for a cool tech demo though.

When I run low on motivation, a thing that often helps me is to play other games in the genre that I'm working on to see if anything about them inspires me. Something I played recently that reminds me a lot of your game is Speebot: https://store.steampowered.com/app/731320/Speebot/

Maybe it'd be a nice break, and could give you some new ideas? Sometimes a project just doesn't work out, though - abandoning things is tough, but necessary if you know it's not going anywhere. Just depends on how strongly you feel driven to see the project through to the end.

ongamex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 12:08:40 PM »

Thanks a lot for the heads up!

Actually I'm avoid to just add engine features.I kind of missed to communicate it, I call this this a "gamedev toolkit" as it is just a bunch of functions crammed together.

The "hot-reload" is really just serialization + "LoadLibrary() GetProcAddress()" + deserialize.
The most involved thing was the serialization. I've stripped of the excess and wrote a blog post about it if you are interested in it https://ongamex.github.io/post/002.cpp.reflections/

Otherwise, you're most likely right that I need to stop coding and do some other things bring freshness in my mind.
ongamex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2019, 02:23:52 AM »

Hey people!

I did another highly unscripted video:

ongamex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 02:32:28 PM »

And one more video.
Here I have some PBR and tools for animation + some gameplay

ongamex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 01:35:23 AM »

And one more video. This time no lagging...

Here I've implemented a new object placement tool and some character controller features - rolling and wall slide+jump.

ThemsAllTook
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 09:21:25 AM »

Looks like this is coming together! I noticed that the wall slide speed seemed to vary somewhat - usually when you were latching on toward the top, the character was going down a whole lot faster. Is it just repeating the last vertical offset the player experienced before latching on, or is there something else going on?

ongamex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 05:08:01 AM »

Yeah this is something that I'm not sure if I should fix or not.
I happens because when sliding I just reduce the gravity applied to the player (I constantly change the gravity in order to control jump height and acceleration).

After you pointing it out, Indeed it looks strange, I have fix that.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic