Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:45:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAlter Dungeon - Pixel Art Roguelike
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Alter Dungeon - Pixel Art Roguelike  (Read 2343 times)
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2019, 04:50:59 AM »

What's the game?

Alter Dungeon is a top-down roguelike with a heavy influence on item builds and synergies.

Current state of the game

The game is currently available to download and play for free at the following links. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Download
itch.io: https://excy.itch.io/alter-dungeon
IndieDB: https://www.indiedb.com/games/alter-dungeon
GameJolt: https://gamejolt.com/games/alterdungeon/504999

You can follow me on twitter or join the discord for Alter Dungeon here
Discord: https://discord.gg/ZY7kkeT
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Exception_i

Previews

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 06:01:12 AM by Excy » Logged

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 06:03:58 AM »

An Explanation of Weapon Types

For this update, I want to explain the different weapon types I'm planning to implement in the game. There are 3 combat skills as of now, Strength, Archery and Magic. There are sub-categories of weapon types in each of these which I'll list below. For this update, I've been working on the magic weapons.

• Strength
    • Swing Weapons - Swords/Maces that attack in an arc movement, damaging all enemies
    • Poke Weapons - Spear-like weapons that thrust towards the cursor damaging all enemies with high knockback
    • Stab Weapons - Dagger-like weapons that have very quick attack speeds but only hit the first enemy contacted with little knockback
  • Archery
    • Bows - Warm-up timer that increases the amount of damage the projectile will do
    • Crossbows - More similar to guns in that they fire immediately and then reload
    • Thrown - A stack of ~10 items that can be thrown and picked up from the place they landed (also fully retrieved on clearing a room)
  • Magic
    • Same base type of weapon but extendable to allow a variety of creative weapons. These weapons have an amount of Charges that when depleted, will render the weapon inactive

Magic Weapon Basics

I've been working on getting the absolute basics of the magic weapons programmed, this includes getting the charges of magic weapons implemented and being able to shoot projectiles while still allowing room for myself to override the Use action when I want to do something different.

So first, I created the Rock Staff, a weapon that fires a line of stalagmites in a short distance. Player animation still WIP, but you get the idea.

Here's where the Terraria/Runescape influence comes in. The Rock Staff is a common weapon drop in the first floor and grants an extra magic damage when you have Lv.3 Gathering. However, if you look at the crafting menu you'll be able to see what this can be upgraded into.

It can be combined with Molten Jelly to create an Obsidian Staff. Molten Jelly is often dropped when killing Magma Slimes but they don't spawn naturally; instead you need to explode green slimes that appear on the first floor. There are several ways of exploding slimes, let's use bombs.

After crafting the new Obsidian Staff, it has more damage but also has extended range and ignites enemies.

I'm a big fan of being able to pursue definitive upgrades and multiple paths to do so, so that's a big focus of this game.

BONUS

Also, I've been working on the first boss for the game, the Iron Minotaur. Let me know what you think of his first draft:

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 12:50:41 PM »

Aesthetic

I've been trying to develop more of an aesthetic or theme for my game recently. While I couldn't decide on an overall aesthetic, I did decide that I wanted Discovery to be a large part of the game. I plan to have an Encyclopaedia that you fill out with all the information on all items, special rooms and bosses and a very clear 100% game completion progress bar. This feature itself will come in later, but for now I can make smaller changes to existing parts of the game to help the theme.

I re-sprited my minimap so it looks more like a map. I still have problems with transparency and size; I want the map to be larger but I don't want it to encroach on screen space for the actual room you're in..

I also added a detail layer to rooms. Previously any detail was on the floor layer which means I couldn't style the floor how I wanted, that's why in the preview images in the first post, they're just one blank colour. So I added a bit of dirt around the edges of rooms as well as more detailed tiles with different colours as an attempt to break up the brown (red mushrooms, yellow candles). I want to add lighting at some point which will fit in with the Discovery theme; for example all torches in a room being lit when you enter the room.

The theme updates are going to be a continuous string of changes, so there'll be more of these in future.

BONUS

I also added the ability to make things interactive in the sense that the player needs to press the interact button to interact with something. Previously the object would just activate on touch .. which is uhh, not ideal when running through a shop. I also changed the item room to spawn a choice of 3 items and allows you to take one. It was just spawning one before.

PixelDensity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 09:09:36 AM »

Really loving the art for this project. Looks very clean and easy to read. The systems you are implementing sound interesting and I look forward to seeing how they develop with the project.

Will this game follow a story as to why the player exploring a dungeon? or will it be a loose story line and up to player interruption as to whats happening?

3D Artist.
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 09:37:43 AM »

Really loving the art for this project. Looks very clean and easy to read. The systems you are implementing sound interesting and I look forward to seeing how they develop with the project.

Will this game follow a story as to why the player exploring a dungeon? or will it be a loose story line and up to player interruption as to whats happening?

Thank you very much!

I haven't given too much thought to story yet. I have smaller individual quest lines within the dungeon so I'll probably lead them up to a bigger over-arching story, but I don't know as of yet what that story is. I need to think about how the story will impact the game..

meshpotato
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 08:48:54 AM »

Looks awesome!
Really wanna play it, when you have a demo ready.  Grin

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 11:21:55 AM »

Looks awesome!
Really wanna play it, when you have a demo ready.  Grin

Thanks! Grin

Yeah, I really want to get a demo out but I also really want a certain level of polish in.. and more gameplay.

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 01:52:58 AM »

soften or get rid of the black outline on your character sprites

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 01:16:17 AM »

soften or get rid of the black outline on your character sprites

Thanks Armorman. I'll give it a try. I'm so used to doing outlines.

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 02:11:57 AM »

HAS IT REALLY BEEN 2 MONTHS?!?!

This isn't dead! I'm still very much working on it! My dev friend and I are currently showcasing our games to each other every 2 weeks which is working out great for motivation. The next showcase is this coming Sunday (2 days from this post) so I'll try remember to update this thread with the details too.

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 06:57:42 AM »

This isn't dead!

I'm back again with an update. I've been working on the project since I last posted and a hell of a lot has changed.

First of all, I have a name for the project now: Alter Dungeon

Second, the game is available to download and play the current alpha version on the following pages:
https://excy.itch.io/the-alter-prince
https://gamejolt.com/games/thealterprince/504999
https://www.indiedb.com/games/the-alter-prince

If you do play, I'd love to hear any feedback!

Third, I've set up a discord as a central place for all updates on the project, feel free to join: https://discord.gg/ZY7kkeT

Lastly, there's honestly too many changes since I last posted here so I'll summarise the biggest ones.

• Aesthetic - I think almost all pieces of art in the previous screenshots have undergone some sort of change. In fact looking back, the only thing that's the same now is the health bar which has only changed in size, crazy! The game is now using the Endesga32 colour palette and is completely pixel perfect (aside from UI text for readability).
  • Focus - The focus of the gameplay has shifted from player progression to items. As part of this, there are no more levels, which meant rewriting a ton of code. Items themselves have also been redesigned to hopefully be much more interesting.
  • Direction - The game has come a long way and still has plenty of development left but that development is no longer unknown! I have a list of features and content that I know I need to be in at certain points of release and I've been working hard at knocking these out one by one.
  • Content - There's so many new items, rooms and features since the last time I posted that it's now playable.

Here's a few screenshots!

« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 12:41:39 PM by Excy » Logged

The Armorman
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 01:09:49 AM »

very good it looks really great now buddy

BELOW FOR GOGNIOS

ABOVE, FOR GOGNIOS
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 04:39:51 AM »

very good it looks really great now buddy

Haha thanks man, I tried getting rid of the outlines and it worked out really well!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic