Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:15:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPapilio v0.9 Beta version (2D arcade shootemup) - need feedback on difficulty
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Papilio v0.9 Beta version (2D arcade shootemup) - need feedback on difficulty  (Read 458 times)
S20-TBL
Level 0

Cool Old Guy

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2019, 05:01:39 AM »

Hello all,

Allow to preface by noting that I actually posted this game quite a long time ago on this same forum, but that was the v0.5.2 Alpha version and it was around 4 years ago. Smiley

This is PAPILIO, a 2D arcade-style sidescrolling shooter set in a science fantasy universe. Play as a pair of temple wardens and use your magical powers to fight through waves of enemies and giant bosses in pursuit of a mysterious thief who stole a sacred relic that harbors incomprehensibly destructive power.

DOWNLOAD OR PURCHASE HERE: https://s20-tbl.itch.io/papilio

While I would really appreciate a purchase as I'm trying to raise enough money to get this game on the Steam Store, there is a free demo available with only 4 of the 8 levels and only two game modes available. Smiley I will also give away 5 free keys to the first 5 people who PM me, based on timestamp.

SCREENSHOTS:

DEFAULT CONTROLS:

Keyboard:

Arrow keys - movement
Z - shoot left / confirm
X - shoot right / cancel
C - bomb
Enter - pause / confirm

Joystick:

D-Pad, Left Analog - movement
◻ / X - shoot left / confirm
○ / B - shoot right / cancel
X / A - bomb
Start - pause / confirm

Mouse:

Movement - character tracks mouse cursor
LMB - shoot left
RMB - shoot right
MMB/scroll wheel - bomb
Enter - pause

Control scheme can be changed in the Settings menu, but there is controller autodetection available. Also, make sure to read the in-game Manual accessible from the title screen.

THE PROBLEM:

I've received some feedback regarding the unfairness of the difficulty, but at the moment it seems to be all over the place. Complaints tended to vary between the player weapons not being strong enough vs. the enemy spawn density, sluggish flight speed, cluttered background, foreground visibility, etc. I've tried to address all of these in the current version, but I was wondering what else I could do to make the game less visually confusing for most people.

Thank you very much!

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 09:35:20 PM »

Hey S20-TBL,

I played your game and made a recording:

- Holy cow I'm a kid in the arcade again!

- This game is beautiful!  I love the pixel art

- The music and SFX are great!

- The game feel is awesome

- There were a few moments where I felt like I couldn't avoid getting hit.  Especially on the Dragon boss.  But that's nit-picky.

Fair warning: I have a big soft spot for SHMUPS so I may not be the best play tester.

As far as difficulty.  I'm no newbie to SHMUPs, keep that in mind.  In the context of those old quarter eater arcade games I think the difficulty is pretty spot on.  I'm a big fan of difficulty settings.  Even if the settings just add more health to the player.  Always worth considering.

Fantastic job!  I had a blast!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic