Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 08:26:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallCrane Wars is Out!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Crane Wars is Out!  (Read 1719 times)
Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« on: June 16, 2009, 10:52:49 AM »

We just released Crane Wars, the 8th Blurst game.  Go play it!

It's no longer in active development--and we're actually on break--but please give any feedback anyway.  I'd like to know what the tigfolk think!

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:54:33 AM »

Huzzah!  Beer!

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 01:00:59 PM »

I support this thread 100%.
esc
Level 3

BAM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:10:36 PM »

Love what you guys do normally, but this is no fun. Dragging around boxes, characters popping up trying to say something funny but not being funny. Besides, I don't have time to look at them while I actually play the game. The music is alright, but besides all that, what is there to the game? This game developed in 6 weeks right? I say spend a little more time on the concept before producing it.

The games were better with the random ridiculousness in it, that's really the only redeeming value to them for me. Because most of those games are just as simple as this latest one.

Looking forward to the next one already, cause this one sucked.

MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 12:38:03 AM »

I'm downloading this while I go to sleep, but I'll check it out when I wake up. I saw the video for this and it looked pretty interesting, so I'm looking forward to it.

Looking forward to the next one already, cause this one sucked.
A little harsh, don't you think? I haven't played it yet, but I'm sure the game has SOME good qualities.

Edit: Apparently I don't have to download anything, so I'm playing it now! :D

MrChocolateBear
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 12:58:55 AM »

Alright. I've been playing for about 10 minutes and the game's not half bad.

What I liked
  • Original idea - I haven't played any crane building games before.
  • Theme - Excellent theme for the game.
  • Graphics - Very clean and polished graphics.
  • Character - This kind of goes with theme. The characters give the background story.

What I disliked
  • Crane maneuvering is difficult - I often damaged my own buildings.
  • I can't focus on the characters while I'm playing, though I would like to.
  • The camera shifting when I'm being attacked. I would like to be notified when I am under attack, but not by taking the controls away from me and shifting the camera.
  • Debris - Once there is debris on the ground it is very difficult to place building bases.

My understanding is that the game was built in a short amount of time, so I am really impressed with what you have accomplished, thus far. I feel that if you spend a little more time playtesting and tweaking, the game would really benefit from it. Good work though!

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 02:56:50 AM »

I dont get what people find so hard about the crane mechanics  Shrug

Lotsa fun, even though I suck at throwing stuff at them filthy scabs  Noir
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 05:30:12 AM »

I didn't like the controls, i couldn't throw stuff at the scabs without trashing my buildings (this may be because i suck), but also the way the crane automatically lifts an item to the top of the nearest building meant I couldn't start a new building without my block hitting off of something and starting to smoke.
Also the slow response and inertial nature of the crane made it feel like i was fishing for rubber ducks in a jelly filled pool, rather than giving me a feeling of weight and power like i think was intended.

I couldn't tell where about a block was over a site from the camera view, at first i tried to use the shadow but i realised it was off. Also when i switched views whilst holding a block, the mouse would move to a different position relative to the level and cause me to swing like a mofo - moving to a new position, rather than allow for precision stacking which i was trying for.

The dialogue was cool, but it got repetitive pretty quickly.

I liked the menu screen, I tried to follow the story of the ham sandwich.

i'm a massive blust fan - i follow all you guys on twitter, but i preferred your other efforts.  Shrug

have a cool holiday you guys Beer!
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 08:33:49 PM »

Man, I love all your games.

My primary problem with Crane Wars is that the maneuvering is somewhat awkward, especially when trying to hurl things at the SCAB workspace. It seemed like the crane was always following the same arc when I tried to make the throw, and so I could only cover a very small area of the SCAB zone.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic