Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:07:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting[Alpha] Redstone Plateau - Puzzle game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Alpha] Redstone Plateau - Puzzle game  (Read 808 times)
whatevers2011
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2019, 03:11:18 AM »

Redstone Plateau

Hoping for some testers for my minimal puzzle game, move your player to capture enemies in order. Each enemy has a specific moveset as does the player. Change your moveset by picking up collectables!

This is game is production/early alpha so the graphics are not final.

Play in browser:
https://lmclennan.itch.io/seabros?secret=sd7YEuAtebEV1xxMvSnnkHl2AA

Please let me know what you think about the game and what could make it better  Coffee
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 06:25:15 PM »

Hey whatevers2011,

I played and recorded your game:

- The puzzle concept is really good.

- Great job building your game on chess rules.  It made it easy to pick up

- Good job with progressing the levels.  I felt like each level built on the previous levels

- It wasn't obvious how all the pieces moved.  The knight was obvious but the circle and diamond weren't.  Maybe make the circle look like a pawn and a diamond like a bishop?

- I couldn't figure the level I ended on (11 I think).  But I'm probably just dumb.

Great job!  I had fun.
whatevers2011
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 01:54:49 PM »

Thanks so much for playing and your feedback! I had a look and I think level 11 might have become unsolvable due to changing the enemies to choose the most clockwise position if faced with two options - I should have tested it more thoroughly! Will keep an eye out for this in the next build I upload Smiley
lambdacube
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 01:02:24 AM »

This seems like a great way to reuse some functions that are also used in chess.

I'm thinking that it could be easier to see move options if they are drawn in and possibly even put arrows for the knight patterns. I don't think it would make the screen too messy, and each move would take one click.

I like the graphics. How did you create them?

One thing that you can do to help beginners is make the first two levels very restrictive, forcing the player to learn a couple core strategies before moving on to a larger board. Only do that if people have a problem catching on to a core concept.
BrandLibel
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »

The graphics look pretty good.

I like the pickups that change your moveset, but so far in the early levels they haven't been put to good use. Level 1 has the Circle moveset that guarantees a loss if you pick it up. Level 2 had you start as a square and have a square pickup, so it did nothing. Level 3 had a Circle moveset that seems to trap you, which is a cool idea, but we still haven't had a good use for the pickups yet. If we had a few early levels where the pickups were needed for victory that would be great.

I'm wondering how the movement of the enemies is controlled? They don't seem to move in a predetermined route. Do they use any pathfinding where weak enemies are programmed to avoid you and big enemies will seek you out? Because sometimes it seems a weak enemy could avoid your attack, but chooses not to.

A level selection menu would be nice because I wanted to play around in previous levels I already visited. I ended up having to refresh the game and starting over when I wanted to replay levels.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:23:06 PM by BrandLibel » Logged

whatevers2011
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 11:01:24 AM »

Thanks for the feedback so far!

I have uploaded a new version which includes a tutorial, some placeholder sound effects and more curated levels which I hope appear less randomly generated.

0 is the first level so please click 0 first (haven't finished any kind of level gating so you can get to any level).

https://lmclennan.itch.io/seabros?secret=sd7YEuAtebEV1xxMvSnnkHl2AA

I like the graphics. How did you create them?

The graphics were created in Adobe Illustrator

I'm wondering how the movement of the enemies is controlled? They don't seem to move in a predetermined route. Do they use any pathfinding where weak enemies are programmed to avoid you and big enemies will seek you out? Because sometimes it seems a weak enemy could avoid your attack, but chooses not to.

You're right that a lot of the collectables were not useful in the levels, I have tried to fix that this time around. Enemy movement for the larger enemies finds the square they can move to which in a straight line is closest to the player. If they are faced with more than one option of the same distance they will choose the most clockwise square. Small enemies just move away from the player, but they have to move every turn. I have also now added a level select screen!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 11:11:08 AM by whatevers2011 » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic