Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:37:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsmod.io: Mod Platform API and SDK
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: mod.io: Mod Platform API and SDK  (Read 1435 times)
intenscia
Level 0

ModDB / IndieDB / mod.io

View Profile WWW
« on: May 06, 2019, 10:55:49 PM »

Homepage | Documentation | Add your Game | Chat on Discord

Welcome to the DevLog for mod.io, an open platform for hosting mods created by the team behind ModDB.com and IndieDB.com.
It can be integrated in-game using the REST API, C/C++ SDK or engine plugins: Unity, Unreal Engine and more are coming.

Features include:

We have been working on mod.io for 2 years now, and have built about 50% of what we intend to build, which is the core mod hosting platform any indie game can start using. If you are familiar with Steam Workshop but need a solution that works on Steam as well as the Epic Games Store, itch.io, Discord, GOG and other places in the future, then mod.io is the tool for you.

• Platform agnostic supporting 1 click mod installs on Steam, Epic Games Store, Discord, GOG, itch.io with plans for full-console support
  • Clientless with no other dependencies and works behind the scenes in your game
  • Connect your community with our Discord ModBot and embeddable web app
  • Powerful search, filtering and tagging of mods
  • Moderation and reporting systems built-in

Steps to getting mod.io integrated:

• Add your game to the mod.io test or production environment
  • Read our API documentation for an overview of how mod.io works
  • Choose an Engine Plugin, API or SDK and integrate mod.io into your game and mod making tools
  • Ready to launch? Add your game to our production environment then click the "go live button"
  • We will reach out to discuss promoting your game to our community of 5 million monthly visitors on ModDB and IndieDB
  • Need help? Our team is available on Discord to assist and our getting started guide has more information for you

Benefits of using mod.io:

mod.io offers the same core functionality as Steamworks Workshop (1 click mod installs in-game), plus mod hosting, moderation and all of the critical pieces needed. Where we differ is primarily driven by the open nature of our platform which is not tied to a client + SDK, giving you much greater control and implementation options if you want them.

• Our API is not dependent on a client or SDK, allowing you to run mod.io in many places such as your homepage and launchers
  • Designing a good mod browsing UI is hard, our plugins ship with a UI built in to save you a lot of effort and help your mods stand out
  • We don't apply rules globally, so if you want to enable patronage, sales or other experimental features, reach out to discuss
  • Our platform is built by the super experienced ModDB.com team and is continually improving for your benefit
  • Your community can consume the mod.io API to build modding fan sites or discord bots if they want

What we are working on:

All of our plugins and tools are open source and hosted on Github. Our community are building wrappers, command line tools, engine plugins and we welcome all contributors to the project. Our roadmap priorities include:

• ModBot for Discord
  • Xbox, Playstation and Switch support
  • Embeddable web app with hooks for easy UI implementation
  • Localization (API is localized, next step allowing content to be)
  • Engine plugins: Unreal is close, GameMaker and others are next
  • Patronage, marketplace and trading
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 02:33:04 PM by intenscia » Logged

Founder of ModDB, IndieDB and mod.io. Creating communities for game developers is my jam.
intenscia
Level 0

ModDB / IndieDB / mod.io

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 04:52:50 PM »

We are very proud to welcome ModBot to the mod.io family. If you run a Discord server and want your community to be alerted when mods for your game(s) on mod.io are added or updated, invite the ModBot in.

Founder of ModDB, IndieDB and mod.io. Creating communities for game developers is my jam.
intenscia
Level 0

ModDB / IndieDB / mod.io

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 06:39:48 PM »

Hey indie developers! Thanks to our communities questions we've prepared a FAQ for new comers to mod.io, which covers stuff like how we compare to Workshop, what our business model is, and how easy the platform is to use: https://apps.mod.io/guides/faq

If you are looking for a powerful cross-platform modding solution for your game, we invite you to take a look and reach out if you'd like to know more.

intenscia
Level 0

ModDB / IndieDB / mod.io

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 10:19:13 PM »

Hey everyone we are going to be joining the Unreal Engine livestream in 11 hours (Thursday, October 10 @ 2:00PM ET), to discuss our modding plugin for UE4. Join us!

Guntha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 01:50:55 PM »

Hello,

I ran into mod.io unexpectedly earlier today when playing Descenders. I was expecting the "Mods" button to open the Workshop, as usual, and was surprised to see a mod menu integrated into the game Smiley

So far the experience, as a player, has been as smooth as when using the workshop, except for the download speed: it was always around 300KB/s, when on my setup I'm used to be downloading as several MB/s. Is this a known issue or something where improvements are already planned?

Keep up the good work!

intenscia
Level 0

ModDB / IndieDB / mod.io

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 02:45:02 PM »

We use a CDN provider for downloads, so speed should always be at a  premium because there are no capacity bottlenecks.

What region are you downloading from?

intenscia
Level 0

ModDB / IndieDB / mod.io

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 05:01:59 PM »

Fromto is the first Game Maker Studio 2 game to use mod.io to power its custom levels sharing. We look forward to releasing the tool they created on the YoYo Games marketplace soon for other devs to use!

intenscia
Level 0

ModDB / IndieDB / mod.io

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 08:52:00 PM »

Hypnospace Outlaw​​​​​​​ creators kindly released the code they created to support mods as open-source, so we now officially have a Construct 2 plugin available for games to use woo-hoo!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 02:33:30 PM by intenscia » Logged

intenscia
Level 0

ModDB / IndieDB / mod.io

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 05:34:05 PM »

The latest game to launch with mod.io support is the retro FPS game DUSK. For other indie developers out there, DUSK is an awesome example of a game whose modding community is kicking-ass, and they needed a home now, but with minimal dev effort. With mod.io you can get setup instantly, start accepting mods today, and do the in-game work later at your leisure to get mod support fully integrated.

The DUSK SDK currently supports custom maps, textures, and sounds... with support for scripting, models and much more coming... SOON™. Learn more and check it out at https://dusk.mod.io and grab the game on Steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/519860/DUSK/

« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 02:33:43 PM by intenscia » Logged

intenscia
Level 0

ModDB / IndieDB / mod.io

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 04:13:25 PM »

Going to GDC2020? We would be honored to learn about your game and plans for user-generated content.

Pat & Scott (me) the two co-founders of mod.io will be in attendance to talk about where we see modding headed in 2020, & how you can leverage the mod.io platform on PC, console and mobile to achieve true cross-platform mod support.

We will of course be monitoring COVID-19 situation closely, but at this stage with 0 reported cases the rare opportunity to meet devs  Shrug is too hard to pass up.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 04:22:10 PM by intenscia » Logged

Guntha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2020, 04:59:11 AM »

Hello intenscia, sorry for the late reply.

I was downloading from France. I retried downloading mods today and it was downloading at around 10MB/s, which is more what I expect. Keep up the good work!

intenscia
Level 0

ModDB / IndieDB / mod.io

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 05:31:51 AM »

Latest update from us for VR developers, is full cross-platform mod support for VR games. We're excited by the update because modding is an awesome way to push forward creativity, and VR is one area that could certainly benefit from people trying new things.

Using mod.io tech, for the first time gamers can enjoy modding supported VR games on Steam, Oculus and Viveport. What's particularly notable, is that the support includes the Oculus Quest an Android based device, which highlights the flexibility of the mod.io SDK/API for VR game developers.

The new capability is live in the VR games SWORDS of GARGANTUA and Contractors VR. SWORDS of GARGANTUA modders can create enemy waves and adjust enemy, player and weapon stats right now. Contractors VR modders can create new maps, guns and game modes and mix them together to make unique experiences.

WW2 and Bow and Arrow Loadout mods for Contractors VR

If you are interested in finding out how we can help you support cross-platform modding in your games (PC, console, mobile and VR), contact [email protected] or add your game to get started straight away.

Speaksoftly
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 08:56:45 PM »

We're helping SnowRunner to trial a program to reward mod creators as a way of growing player engagement.  SnowRunner modding has done really well with over a million mod DL's in the first month.  So the question is how to build on that.  You can see details of how we have set up the Creator Rewards Program on our blog https://snowrunner.mod.io/guides/snowrunner-creator-rewards.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 08:52:48 PM by Speaksoftly » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic