Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1367678 Posts in 64160 Topics- by 56072 Members - Latest Member: ProfessorSil

October 14, 2019, 11:10:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)GLTF2.0 Physically based renderer with IBL
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: GLTF2.0 Physically based renderer with IBL  (Read 425 times)
assiduous
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2019, 07:29:40 AM »

Diligent Engine now supports GLTF2.0 format and implements physically-based renderer with image-based lighting.
https://github.com/DiligentGraphics/DiligentEngine/blob/master/README.md#gltf_loader_and_renderer

Check-out the cross-platform GLTF viewer:
https://github.com/DiligentGraphics/DiligentSamples/tree/master/Samples/GLTFViewer

The viewer now runs on Windows, Universal Windows, Linux and Mac. Android and iOS are coming.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 05:05:51 PM »

How did you like working with the format. Can FBX die soon?

assiduous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 10:53:56 PM »

GLTF is designed to be a run-time format, unlike FBX, so I don't think the comparison is really fair.
The format has a number of good features: state of the art PBR material description, animation, etc.
It has limitations too, so it may not work for all use cases. However I think it is a very reasonable open standard format that should be useful for a wide range of applications.
fluffrabbit
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 11:50:31 PM »

PBR is pretty well documented and straightforward if your renderer supports multiple texture slots, cubemaps, and a way to pre-process textures with framebuffers. glTF is simple to load, though it has a lot of nuanced features that have tripped me up such as animation.

On the other hand, that epipolar light scattering makes me question everything I know about computers. Wow. I don't even know what I'm looking at but it looks amazing. Atmospheric haze scattering the sunlight miles into the distance. This is really far ahead.

assiduous
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 08:15:18 AM »

The viewer now also supports Android!
It technically runs on iOS too, but due to some issues (could be MoltenVK), the image looks corrupted.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 06:08:14 PM »

GLTF is designed to be a run-time format, unlike FBX, so I don't think the comparison is really fair.
The format has a number of good features: state of the art PBR material description, animation, etc.
It has limitations too, so it may not work for all use cases. However I think it is a very reasonable open standard format that should be useful for a wide range of applications.

What are the limitations compared to FBX? Can it not be compared somewhat? I ask because unreal engine is in the process of supporting gltf and it seems to fit the standard pipeline flown as FBX.

The fact it's runtime ready seems even better since every studio I've ever worked at was hit with pipeline/loading issues due to how FBX is structured.

fluffrabbit
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 09:54:45 PM »

glTF gives you an option of either arrays of structs or structs of arrays, plus several exporters don't include tangents, so in practice you can't just drop the glTF blob into graphics memory, there is still a loading step. (Unless your workflow is extremely synchronized with exporters and importers using the exact same glTF configuration.)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic