Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:16:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Mission - spider bot side-scroller
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: The Mission - spider bot side-scroller  (Read 16407 times)
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2020, 01:54:29 AM »

Made this "fish first encounter" cutscene:

I finally get to use all these fancy water effects I made before Smiley This is just the beginning though, I want to have much more sophisticated water scenarios later

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2020, 10:24:29 AM »

That is so good, with the flooding! Terrifying.

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2020, 09:23:53 PM »

That is so good, with the flooding! Terrifying.
Thanks) Ye, it's also fun to make those liquid interactions, stuff like flooding and flushing, I'm planning to make more later and m.b. with the airlocks, i.e. you'll be able to transitions between flooded and normal areas through a chamber that'll flush the water

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2020, 01:42:11 AM »

I agree with Prinsessa, that's a fantastic first encounter (you could even build up the tension a bit longer before the glass breaks)

When players reach this point, will they have seen any liquid interactions yet? Because I'm thinking: there's plenty of games where liquids are either non-existent or just a "static" thing that affects movement, so if you avoid all liquids until that moment, then they won't know the game has liquid physics yet and you can really surprise them!
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2020, 02:15:09 AM »

I agree with Prinsessa, that's a fantastic first encounter (you could even build up the tension a bit longer before the glass breaks)

When players reach this point, will they have seen any liquid interactions yet? Because I'm thinking: there's plenty of games where liquids are either non-existent or just a "static" thing that affects movement, so if you avoid all liquids until that moment, then they won't know the game has liquid physics yet and you can really surprise them!
Thanks) Nope, that's not the first time when the player interacts with liquids. At the beginning of the level you immediately drop into water with no enemies in it, you'll also see a hint that this is a new environment and key mapping for swimming and boosting. Then you'll need to get out of this safe water and go further, this "bunker" like thing goes right after that, so you've just seen the water and when the glass breaks you know what to do (kinda) Smiley

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2020, 10:10:28 PM »

Hey, everyone, guess what, The Mission got featured on GameJolt:

https://gamejolt.com/discover

It's gonna hang around for about a week and then it'll be in featured list and gonna come up periodically on game updates. Pretty cool!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2020, 02:25:27 AM »

Wow, and it's not even out yet Who, Me?
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2020, 02:26:59 AM »

Wow, and it's not even out yet Who, Me?
Well, there is a demo with a single level, that's something I guess Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2020, 02:19:00 AM »

Nice!

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2020, 09:43:38 PM »

Any news on Mission progress? I love this devlog, I don't want to see it dead!

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2020, 10:06:01 PM »

Hey.

Well, I postponed this project for some time. I got pretty obsessed with an idea of turning my 2D engine into 3D with a built-in editor, modern graphics (i.e PBR), Temporal AA, soft shadows, etc. So far it's going well, I'm planning to start another topic here on TIGSource once I get to the game making with it, right now I'm mostly focused on the internals. Here're some video of it BTW, in case anyone's interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb8gw5wqo2o

As for "The Mission", I think I'm gonna continue this project after a while once I get some inspiration for it. Recently I got stuck with it in sense of gameplay, kinda didn't know what to do next.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2020, 02:27:45 AM »

Cool stuff, but maybe try to finish something or you'll risk ending up with a chain of uninished projects like so many other programmers out there... (me included)
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2020, 02:48:34 AM »

Yes, I agree, but the thing is, I kinda stuck with "The Mission". I feel like something is wrong or missing, like it needs a touch of a good game designer in order to become something worthy. When I started it, I had a vision for it, at least for a couple of first levels, but now when I look at it I just can't figure out what should go next...
I think I'll come back to it some time later, the same happened with my previous game btw, which I've actually released. It the meantime I really want to see how this new 3D engine of mine goes Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 26, 2020, 04:06:26 AM »

Woah, cool stuff! A bit of a break can be good some times. c:

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: May 26, 2020, 04:16:17 AM »

Thnx Wink Yeah, that's for sure Smiley BTW how's your project doing ? I didn't get any notifications from TIGSource for it in a while now.

Schrompf
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2020, 11:52:55 PM »

A custom engine... that sure wins my heart. Take your time, keep doing what you enjoy.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2020, 12:30:45 AM »

BTW how's your project doing ? I didn't get any notifications from TIGSource for it in a while now.

Too much got in the way for anything to write about last month to get done, but there's going to be one next month for sure, already gotten a bunch of stuff done! c:

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2021, 02:48:46 AM »

So I've decided to try to make a Web Assembly port of the game, just for fun. And suddenly
everything just worked, like the renderer, physics, lua scripting, even input and audio! You can even
go to options menu and change resolution and that actually works Smiley And performance-wise it's pretty good:

Here's a link to the game - https://themission1.vercel.app/

And here's a link to unreleased/unfinished water level - https://themission2.vercel.app/

Schrompf
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2021, 04:35:30 AM »

Amazing. You already have a level of polish there that few games on here can compete with. Works flawlessly and absolutely smooth. I still couldn't play properly, but that's because RightClick means mouse gestures in my browser, so I kept leaving the page or opening new tabs...

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2021, 04:57:17 AM »

Amazing. You already have a level of polish there that few games on here can compete with. Works flawlessly and absolutely smooth. I still couldn't play properly, but that's because RightClick means mouse gestures in my browser, so I kept leaving the page or opening new tabs...
Great to hear that Smiley Ye, input in browser is always a pain, not to mention WebGL, e.g. it doesn't work in my FireFox because of some glsl uniform name problem, but it works just fine in Chrome and Edge. Anyway, this is a quick-n-dirty WebAssembly port done in 1.5 days without much polishing, perhaps I could make it work in more scenarios, I just don't see the point, i.e. playing using native binary is still better. I don't even know why I made this port, m.b. because I'm on vacation and got tired of playing video games and watching Netflix Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic