Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:09:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Mission - spider bot side-scroller
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: The Mission - spider bot side-scroller  (Read 17629 times)
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2019, 12:47:04 AM »

Decided to try out a more complex scenario:

So, IMO this works pretty well Smiley And again we see some non-water like behavior on the left, since too much stuff freezes there, but these kind of cases can be easily avoided by proper level design.
Next step - somehow implement buoyancy inside "cold" water area, like these aren't particles anymore, it's almost like they don't exist. My first idea was to calculate contours and use them, but as it turned out these contours can be quite complex in shape and there may be a lot of them and after each time step they can be changed dramatically...
(Thinking about something else)

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2019, 07:19:52 AM »

Impressive stuff! The "active" water almost looks like foam Smiley
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2019, 07:25:59 AM »

Impressive stuff! The "active" water almost looks like foam Smiley
Thanks Wink Heh, yeah, in this video I rendered both the water and particle helper points, so it made active area foamy Smiley I plan to improve water render btw, will make it distort stuff behind it, m.b. add some moving voronoi pattern on top of it, etc.

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2019, 12:03:24 AM »

But it looks dope. Splashy and all. Nice job!

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2019, 12:24:18 AM »

But it looks dope. Splashy and all. Nice job!
Thanks Cool

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2019, 06:25:23 AM »

Whew, just finished implementing buoyancy with my optimized liquids:

It was a nightmare literally, tweaking all those factors, forces, weights, etc. And to think that it's only start, I just have a physics base ready for future stuff. Oh well, at least it works Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2019, 07:59:58 AM »

And it's one of those evil temptations to keep tweaking the parameters forever without making true progress, isn't it?  Hand Any Key Hand Joystick
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2019, 08:02:01 AM »

And it's one of those evil temptations to keep tweaking the parameters forever without making true progress, isn't it?  Hand Any Key Hand Joystick
Exactly! But I've spent way too much time on this already Sad So I'll just leave it as is an move on. Like get back to this when it's really needed

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: December 23, 2019, 04:54:31 AM »

Improved water render a bit: added distortion, brighter border and made the whole thing 50% more transparent

So I think I'm finally happy with how my water looks and behaves Smiley Moving on...

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 24, 2019, 05:47:35 AM »

Looking great! And yeah, move on before the itch to tweak it kicks in again Wink
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2019, 10:07:08 AM »

Looking great! And yeah, move on before the itch to tweak it kicks in again Wink
Thnx Wink Already working on new stuff, well, currently refactoring that big ugly pile of code that player controller is, so that I can add more stuff to it easily. Want to have different behavior in water for the player...

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2019, 02:38:22 PM »

Aqua mode on!

It's still work-in-progress, I'm not 100% sure if it's gonna be like this, will have to make an actual level and see. But it's kinda fun Smiley

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2020, 04:02:17 AM »

So, first update in the new year here Smiley

Nothing big, just making new level environment: ground, backgrounds, seaweed, etc:

I think I'm finally happy with the overall looks, that's 5th attempt btw, I tried different kinds of stuff before, but   it all looked out of place. I think I'll do a bit more of the environment, like some new kind of grass, m.b. some particle effects on those huge tentacle-like things, etc.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2020, 08:11:21 AM »

Looking good!
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2020, 10:06:48 AM »

Looking good!
Thanks Smiley

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 07, 2020, 04:52:20 AM »

And here's some more level environment, I've added grass, flowers and corals:

I think that'll do for now, otherwise I can do this environment stuff forever, better move on and start making the level

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 07, 2020, 08:40:16 AM »

Nice polish but yeah Wink
Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2020, 01:21:16 AM »

I guess I need to write another update. So far I've been working on water, its physics and visual presentation. But since water is new type of environment in the game it needs its enemies. So first enemy type is (obviously) the fish:

This one is melee-only enemy, but it's pretty fast and aggressive. It roams the water volume very well, it can also jump out of the water and attack the player in the air. I'm planning to use the latter in gameplay, like imagine that you have a long gap with a lot of fishes, jumping in is a suicide, but you can use your spider web to get across by attaching yourself to the ceiling and jumping forward, but even in this case you're not gonna be safe since the fish will jump out and bite you Smiley I'm also planning to have other types of enemies in the water, the ones that'll shoot stuff, it's probably gonna be some kind of octopus or jellyfish.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2020, 06:03:44 AM »

Haven't been online much for over a month now. I see I've missed a lot of really cool updates! Nice going!

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2020, 09:33:11 PM »

I see I've missed a lot of really cool updates! Nice going!
Thank you Smiley I'm trying not to slow down and keep up the pace, there's still a lot of stuff to be done for this game )

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic