Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 03:13:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPaly
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Paly  (Read 1310 times)
stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2019, 02:08:28 PM »

EPPILEPSY WARNINING!
Many gifs in this thread contain a lot of flashing imagery!

Heyo,

my name is Josh, but i publish games as Stuffed Wombat!

Been a while since I postet anything here, but I guess I need some way of keeping track of this project.

Paly is a collection of unwinnable games.
There are no scores, points or unlocks.
All you can do in Paly is play.

(yes the name is very clever, thank you!)

This thing started with me not being able to publish the game I worked on for a year.
So I made a different game and pitched it to some people and that whole process took so long that I made Paly to get rid of some of the frustration that had built up.

In the beginning, Paly felt pretty agressive. It was meant to be that way.

Many thanks to the Sound Designer (https://twitter.com/PolychromiaS) who made amazing sounds that you are sadly unable to hear.

I spend a lot of time prototyping small games. This was supposed to be a collection, so I needed many games.

Many people really liked the loading screens that seperate each of the games:

But I was calming down and the aggressive tone did not resonate with me anymore.
So I decided to shift the focus more towards that feeling of meditation that you get from being really good at Downwell.

This is a game I am really proud of. It also sounds amazing. Too bad you cant hear it Wink

Oh, I forgot to say:
Every game in Paly is controlled only with three keys.

I made a bunch more stuff. Maybe I will show that later! Nothing in this post is in chronological order btw.
But yeah, basically I will be able to show this at Nordic Game conference (in 2 weeks!!) and while I really, really like some of the small games I have made so far (and the sounds. I love the sounds as well.), this project has been kind of buried beneath some other stuff I had to do and I have lost my focus.

Anyways, I hope this post captures the development process of Paly so far.
I hope to have more (coherent) news for you soon :D

cheers,
josh

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:15:32 AM by stuffedwombat » Logged
Alex Strook
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 02:21:13 PM »

I dig the visual style ! I'm glad you are going more toward a meditation kind of game

Following !

stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 06:55:28 AM »

Thanks Strook!

Today I remade a prototype I made for Paly in the actual game file!
I like how this plays, but there are some collision problems (that I will deal with tomorrow)

I also "ported" the face thing from an earlier version of Paly into the final one. It looks like this:

stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 04:31:19 AM »

Things are shaping up.

I now feel a lot better about this project. I guess it is because I took more time for it and started to bring all the different versions and prototypes together into one single file.
Also fixed collision problems in the snake game, yay.

Today I reimplemented one of the first games I made for Paly. It is pretty ugly right now and I will show it later, when it is more polished!

Afterwards I implemented a new version of Gungolf (a prototype made with friends that never got picked up by a publisher). I then wasted too much time playing it.

stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 12:12:20 AM »

Heyo again :D

People tell me that having a steam page up as soon as possible is a good thing, so i am trying to get mine ready.

Here is a mockup of a trailer:

Also, the game I talked about a few posts back finally looks good!
The gifs it creates are gigantic in size, so here is a picture:

In this game you just fall down :D

I told the people of the conference where Paly will be exhibited, that it would have 6 games.
I now have 4 our of those 6 games completed!

For the remaining two games:
- I hope I will be able to get my "3key only hotline miami + superhot" thing to feel good.
- the 6th game will be about being a pizza.
stuffedwombat
Level 0

I make video games

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 12:22:30 PM »

So yes, the showcase went well!
The game now is on a timer!
In the beginning, you choose how long you want to play and when that amount of time has passed, the game simply stops!
It is very nice.

I am very, very tired and need to work on some other stuff for the rest of the month.

I will maybe have some exciting (?) news about this project :D

no gifs this time, i am deeply sorry!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic