Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:29:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWe want to create a tool to help fellow devs. Looking for feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: We want to create a tool to help fellow devs. Looking for feedback  (Read 818 times)
PNelly
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2019, 07:47:31 AM »

My friend and I are considering a project helping fellow game developers be successful and we're looking for feedback.

We want to create a website that shows trends in the games market.

Which genres are and aren't popular? What kinds of games are people buying, and which ones are being ignored? We want to help answer the question, "what should my next game be?".

The answer isn't always easy. In his GDC talk last year Erik Johnson showed the estimated revenue for puzzle platformers is twenty four times less than action RPGs. For anyone hoping to make a living from games, knowing this stuff really matters.

So, do you have any feedback on this idea? What do you like? What don't ou like? Do you have ideas that might improve it? Any feedback at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick & Carson

* talk mentioned above:
https://youtu.be/uy0Dfr-mnUY?t=552
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 08:57:44 AM »

Sounds like what you're trying to do is a statistics aggregation platform like SteamSpy, except for the industry at large. Basically, not a small project.

My immediate reaction to this is that it's a cool thing to have, but it also sounds like a massive undertaking that would also take a lot of effort to maintain as you'd have to constantly poll big companies for their earnings on individual games and other such statistics. This may not even be doable since a bunch of them would want to keep this analytics data to themselves.

If you want to focus on indies, then you'll have to rely on massive amounts of self-reported data, which will also take a lot of effort to analyze.

Plus, in order to be useful, you'll have to have people constantly looking at the flow of information and try to derive conclusions from it.

The next question is how you would monetize such an endeavor. A public website with ads and sponsors might not be enough, in which case you might have to look for subventions, and if that happens then some people might not trust you anymore as they might perceive your conclusions to be biased towards those investors.

Don't get me wrong, this sounds like a very desirable platform for many indies, but it remains to be seen if it's worth the effort to aggregate the information required to make this tick.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic