Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:17:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsModest Hero
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Modest Hero  (Read 6230 times)
Gleb
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2019, 08:58:33 AM »

Idea

I thought for a long time how I could innovate a platformer game. The idea of a man, whose hands and feet tied down with a chain, walking towards someplace, inspired me for the game. The real motivation to make this game was to tell a story. The main character will do it for me during his journey.

Story

"Modest Hero" is a game about the last journey of a modest man. Captured by the soldiers and dragged to the end waiting for him, Victor realizes that he is living the final moments of his life and remembers how he fell to that situation.

In Victor's memories, a man named Alexandre appears. He was the one who encouraged and guided Victor in the uprisings that began in Paris in 1830. Victor and Alexandre testify to the fire and violence of social events and early class conflicts in 19th century France in those days.

The 2D action-adventure genre game begins in June 1848 in the streets of a gloomy city after a fierce civil war. In Paris. While Victor and his six captive friends are going to the place where they stand trial, they are carrying grief, anger, and a little bit of hope.

Gameplay

In the game, we play both the present and the past of Victor in pieces and respectively. In the present day, Victor tries to struggle with the chains that aggravate the burden he carries in his heart and those guards who pull his handcuffs to a direction he does not want to go. In these chapters, the game will have an evolving escape plan to get rid of the captivity with a unique walking mechanics.

In his past, Victor becomes a part of the fiery social events of 19th century France with his close friend Alexandre. Under the influence of barricades, fights, and even war, Victor tries his best to take his share of this chaos.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 09:44:07 PM by Gleb » Logged

mmoscat
Level 0

Composer | Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 10:15:18 PM »

This is looking really nice and I love the art style!

VirginRedemption
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 06:30:35 AM »

Love the art style  Kiss

My family thinks I play videogames all day for a living
ChrisLSound
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 06:59:36 AM »

Very intriguing! What exactly are these unique walking mechanics?

I make video/tabletop games and music!
Gleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 10:04:55 AM »

Thanks for your comments  Smiley

Very intriguing! What exactly are these unique walking mechanics?

The player will have two walking mechanics. One is traditional, you have to push one button to go left or right, plus classic action/adventure mechanics like fighting, firing or hiding. These will perform in the episodes where Victor narrated his past.

The second one, which you ask about, is doing the straightforward thing with a little hard way because of the obstruction of the chains and handcuffs. I thought a simple key combination with proper timing — not only for the walking mechanism but also and setting the escape plan. I'm still working on that.  Smiley

Gleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 09:59:18 AM »

For the last couple of weeks, I was working on the save/load mechanism of the game. Thinking about the concept and updating the scripts and game objects took my time a lot. But still, I'm happy with importing a new mechanism before it was too late.

Gleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 08:20:55 AM »

These are Victor and his captive mates. While they were going to their trials by force, Victor will discover how to have a conversation with others freely.

Gleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 07:38:35 AM »

For me, the main element of Modest Hero will be its story and character dialogues. I am always enthusiastic about storytelling and always loved the games which have one of those. I'm not a writer, or something and English is not my native language, but since the day I began game developing (this is my second project) I'm have been trying to improve some skills on it. I enjoyed during the script/scenario writing period in the projects the most. Unfortunately, I'm writing some codes to align the captives at specific positions in specific times now. Smiley

Gleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 08:56:29 AM »

After finishing the first chapter and the save/load system, I started to work on the second chapter. The captives will perform some fighting and scuffling moves, which will consist of classic hitting and blocking. I'm creating appropriate animations for them.

Gleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 11:45:19 AM »

Dialogue UI theme consists of the three colors of the revolution.

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 12:32:52 AM »

Oh that looks both cute and quite creepy!

tansutumer
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2019, 07:52:45 AM »

Merhaba Gleb Smiley

Oyun tekstlerini Türkçe görünce şaşkınlığa uğradım bir an, tebrikler çok güzel bir iş olacak gibi. Napolyon dönemi Fransa'sına özel ilgisi olan birisi olarak konu da çok keyifli olmuş  Roll Eyes

Ses/müzik noktasında ne aşamadasınız acaba? İhtiyacınız varsa yardımcı olmak çok isterim  Beer! 

Elinize, emeğinize sağlık tekrardan.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 09:04:25 AM by tansutumer » Logged

Sound Designer/Composer
www.tansutumer.com
Gleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 09:41:39 AM »

Selam Tansu, mesajın için çok teşekkür ederim Smiley Müzikler konusunda ne yapacağıma henüz karar vermedim. Web siteni şimdi inceliyorum. Good Luck.

Shephf
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 09:48:43 AM »

Hey, this looks cool, I'll be following this Smiley

Gleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 12:33:41 AM »

The last couple of weeks, I tried to find the best walking style for the captives. Also, I made walking and running animations and designed thee scripts for both the protagonist and npc's.

Gleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2019, 03:00:39 AM »

That thing is going to help the protagonist during the captivity scenes.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 06:19:59 AM »

I am still confused about the mechanics you have in mind. Seems like a platformer with the character in chains? I am curious!

Your art style is pretty cool. I can't quite place the style, with muted colors and flat perspectives, but it looks nice and seems fitting in the context.

Gleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 09:54:40 AM »

I am still confused about the mechanics you have in mind. Seems like a platformer with the character in chains? I am curious!

Your art style is pretty cool. I can't quite place the style, with muted colors and flat perspectives, but it looks nice and seems fitting in the context.

Hi diegzumillo, thanks for your comment. The game will have two types of scenes. The protagonist will tell five stories while he walks in chains. In that narrator episodes, the player will interact in some ways with the other captives and the soldiers to make an escape plan. (distracting the guards, pushing each other, collecting and transferring some objects) In the second type of scenes, we will play the flashbacks with the classical action-adventure style mechanics.

diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 10:15:25 AM »

Sounds cool!

Gleb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2019, 10:41:46 AM »

Victor is a weaver, and he is working on weaving loom to make money as a modest man.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic