Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 10:46:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNanotale: Typing RPG [Now on Steam Early Access]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Nanotale: Typing RPG [Now on Steam Early Access]  (Read 2481 times)
VirginRedemption
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2019, 05:55:09 AM »

Nanotale - Typing Chronicles
Steam | Twitter | Discord

Nanotale - Typing Chronicles is an atmospheric typing adventure RPG where you fight mobs by typing out words to cast spells and defeat them.

Follow Rosalind, a novice Archivist, as she journeys out into a valley to collect plant and rock samples for further analysis. The valley is peaceful. War is a thing of the distant past. Nothing can go wrong with such a casual task... can it?

After receiving overwhelmingly positive feedback from Epistory fans, we decided it was time to create a sequel worthy of the Typing Chronicles franchise. Featuring the same typing gameplay mechanics, Nanotale builds upon the strengths of its predecessor and includes more RPG elements, as requested by our community, to fully round-out the experience. We are now at approximately 25% of the development with 1/4 biomes completed and hope that fans of the genre will support us during the rest of the development!

If you have questions about the game, we'll all be happy to answer them. Meanwhile, we will regularly update you about development.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 05:10:34 AM by VirginRedemption » Logged

My family thinks I play videogames all day for a living
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 12:57:38 PM »

Yo, this is beautiful (and right up my alley). Keep-up up the great work!

VirginRedemption
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 11:06:44 PM »

Thank you! TBH finding the right art style was a long journey! Took us a lot of iterations.

VirginRedemption
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 07:47:00 AM »

Before giving you updates about the game, I thought it was a better idea to tell you first a bit more about the current state of the game and its history.

Here are a few gifs showing you an early prototype of Nanotale, when we didn't know how it would look like and were focusing on gameplay.

Here's how we use the Cellular automaton in the game. If you are not familiar with it, it’s a way of simulating a world using a divide and conquer strategy. Instead of having a massive “World Simulator™” it’s often easier to simulate each object when making a game, This strategy goes further by dividing the world into uniform cells. Each cell has a state and a set of rules to change, if possible, into another state. Cellular automata are used in a very wide range of scientific domains, including computer science, mathematics, physics, and many others. The most famous is probably Conway's Game of Life[en.wikipedia.org], it has only four rules and two states and you can already see a lot of patterns emerging from its simple concept.

While prototyping a few nice mechanics for the game, we worked on parallel on the Art Style of the game.

It all started with a concept

This is not the first concept art of Nanotale, but when our 2D artist, Amandine, presented it to us we thought: "this is Nanotale. This is what we want for the game". The concept was a clear representation of the project we had in mind in therm of ambiance, mood, and storytelling. That same concept inspired the first author of Nanotale. This is what he wrote about it:

The people of the forest do not eat or drink. They do not sleep, they do not dream. Their lives are spent in the shadow of an ancient tree, listening to the Final Song, tending the lands of their immortal Queen.

To this place Rosalind wanders, a spirit at her side...

The second concept that influenced a lot the Game Design and Story is the following one. It represents Rosalind and the Fox on top of the Tree of Life.

The grieving King begged the witch to let him be with his son again, to accomplish that which had never been achieved: a miracle of resurrection.

The witch asked for a single favour. Dominion over the forest for as long as she lived, reigning as its Queen.

A bargain was struck.

3D modeling

The modeling phase started quite early in development, allowing our Game Designer to test each element and see how it works with his level design.

The sheep issue is a good example of why it's important to try your assets early in development. The Sheep is meant to be a blocker. Too heavy to be pushed, you have to solve puzzles in order to attract them and clear the path.

Our first shape wasn't understandable at a big scale. We needed a workaround.

The shape was more understandable when smaller so we tried to have groups of sheep but it turned out to be really chaotic. We needed to find something else...

Problem solved; We changed the shape of the sheep to make it more recognizable from an iso view.

Current state of the game

Nanotale is well advanced speaking about level design and programming. The main aspects we are focusing on right now are the Story and the Art.

Nanotale is composed of 4 biomes. We only have the first one, the Ancestral Forest nearly finished so far.

While polishing that first biome, we started to work on the second biome called the Sunken Caves.

I hope this post helped you to understand a bit more our project.

Don't hesitate to comment if you have questions.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:31:57 AM by VirginRedemption » Logged

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 09:32:30 AM »

Not a big fan of typing games but your art might sway me! Watching.

Could you give some more details about how you integrated the cellular automata technique? How does that interact with physics/rendering?

VirginRedemption
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 02:06:57 AM »

Could you give some more details about how you integrated the cellular automata technique? How does that interact with physics/rendering?

Thank you!

Sure! There's a full article about it here.

I'll be happy to answer if you have more questions.

OddesrLab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 03:29:35 AM »

Stunning visual style! I love the artwork Smiley
VirginRedemption
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 06:04:12 AM »

Last week our concept artist, Amandine, continued to work on the Sunken Caves; trying to find the right mood/ambiance for this new biome.

Texture

While polishing a bit what we already have in the game, we also created the texture for the main character, Rosalind. She's now all set to explore the world!

Showing you a plant from the 2D concept to the 3D version. We are now really happy with our watercolor textures.

Cinematic

Here's a concept art for a cinematic, showing you the Queen from the Ancestral Forest talking to her subjects.

Thank you for reading. More soon.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:25:32 AM by VirginRedemption » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 06:12:11 AM »

this looks really nice and typing games are cool, however what i am really here to compliment you on is your incredible username. best of luck, VirginRedemption.
VirginRedemption
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2019, 12:21:29 AM »

Thank you Superb Joe!

The username comes from a long long time ago when I was a teenager who had to share the computer with her big brother. I thought it was funny to annoy him with my creative usernames  Wink

VirginRedemption
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 05:21:51 AM »

Hey guys!

Here's an update of the project.

Remember the week before, we worked a lot on trying to find the right mood/ambiance for the second biome in Nanotale. This week, we did exactly the same thing. And we can say that we are getting close to what we want for the Sunken Caves.

The dwellers from the Sunken Caves are mostly miners and fishermen. Here's a concept showing you a fishing scene.

The Ancestral Forest has its own peculiar critters, so we wanted new ones for this new biome.

The Cemetery

Deep in the Ancestral Forest, east of the village, you'll find the cemetery. These rocks are concepts for graves.

Hit animation

We wanted to add an animation for when an enemy hits Rosalind. Maybe that's too hard.

Watercolor texture

Another asset from the 2D concept to the 3D version with our watercolor texture.

BONUS

Showing you the whole team at work!

Thank you for reading Smiley
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 12:21:58 AM by VirginRedemption » Logged

Sustrato
Level 1

It's a good day to die.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2019, 05:30:44 PM »

Thank you!

That was a super interesting article, thanks for sharing!

I don't have questions in particular but it helped me get an idea of what your game is about. Also interesting to see how your homegrown automata system is interwoven with Unity's engine. Y'all look like you know what you're doing.

VirginRedemption
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 07:04:59 AM »

Thank you!

That was a super interesting article, thanks for sharing!

I don't have questions in particular but it helped me get an idea of what your game is about. Also interesting to see how your homegrown automata system is interwoven with Unity's engine. Y'all look like you know what you're doing.

Thank you! Most of the time we know what we are doing  Grin

arborist
Level 0

broken mirrors and useless prayer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »

Oh, this is absolutely everything I've wanted in a typing game - without...
Knowing that it's what I've wanted in a typing game!

This is gorgeous, keep up the good work!
VirginRedemption
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 05:59:52 AM »

Oh, this is absolutely everything I've wanted in a typing game - without...
Knowing that it's what I've wanted in a typing game!

This is gorgeous, keep up the good work!

Thank you so much!  Kiss

VirginRedemption
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 06:06:56 AM »

Hi guys,

Ready for an update?

Our 2D artist created a few new concepts of the second biome but also of the dwellers.

"The Dwellers from the Sunken Caves are mining too much, they are devouring their own world."

The Sunken Caves

The following concept art shows you some elements from the second biome. Some are part of the Lore but others are purely decorative.

Here are some early ideas for the dwellers. They are mostly miners and fishermen.

BONUS

Here's another post showing you how we create our objects from 2D to watercolor 3D. Maybe we should create a video next time we work on the textures?

And to finish, this won't be in the game but, I wanted to show you what happens when you say to your Game Designer that the fog is not juicy enough! Use your words with caution.

Thank you for reading!

Cheers,
VirginRedemption

arborist
Level 0

broken mirrors and useless prayer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 07:32:23 AM »

That is some powerful fog! Shocked Smiley
I think that the Sunken Caves might be the sort of place I revisit most often; whether that's through a practise mode or the story itself.

(And you're quite welcome! Grin )
VirginRedemption
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 06:06:14 AM »

Yes me too. I kind of like how peaceful it is and reminds me a bit of Naruto feeling... don't know why.

fluffrabbit
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 06:43:07 AM »

Thanks for that photo of the team. This must be what they call "III".
VirginRedemption
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 12:56:19 AM »

Just telling here that if you are curious about typing games, our first game Epistory is -75% off on Steam.
Here the link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/398850/

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic