Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:06:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRoadwarden - RPG text-based adventure
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Roadwarden - RPG text-based adventure  (Read 10289 times)
nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2022, 09:38:21 AM »

This looks great. Nice work!

Aureus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2022, 11:40:01 AM »

Thanks a lot! : )
Aureus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2022, 12:32:05 AM »

Grave news! Roadwarden's new release date is September 12th!

I apologize to all of you who planned to play it this weekend. We need to polish a few small issues before you can start your adventure.

I'm deeply sorry, but it will be worth the wait!

So close to marking the first post as "All Done".  Cry

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2022, 12:37:31 AM »

Hey, I'm just glad it will come out eventually! Smiley
Aureus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2022, 12:40:38 AM »

Thank you, I'm super stressed out about this, so such acts of kindness mean a lot.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2022, 04:18:38 AM »

Thank you, I'm super stressed out about this, so such acts of kindness mean a lot.

Its easier said than done, but try not to stress. You've done the hard part, now its almost time to celebrate. And a couple day delay is nothing in the grand scheme of things! Always better to take your time and launch it when its ready. Anyone who was going to buy a copy on the 8th will still buy one on the 12th. Smiley Good luck with this final stretch, you got this!

Aureus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2022, 04:45:48 AM »

Yeah, almost there, almost! Thanks a lot!
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2022, 08:28:03 AM »

Good luck for the launch and yeah, don't worry about that tiny delay!

Aureus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2022, 05:48:18 AM »

Roadwarden is officially released! : )
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2022, 05:07:34 PM »

Congrats! Early reviews are looking incredible.

Snagged my copy (to match the demo in my library)...

Aureus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2022, 06:03:10 PM »

Thank you, what a beautiful match! ^^
Alain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2022, 08:16:12 AM »

That's amazing, congratulations for the release Coffee

Aureus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2022, 08:29:40 AM »

Cheers! So far it's going pretty well!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2022, 12:46:33 AM »

Just got the steam update for all the feedback you got so far https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1155970/view/3273577339630822808

Looks like you're getting plenty of praise, congrats!

I installed it but haven't had the time to play. Looking forward to it though!

One question: I just discovered by partner actually loves fantasy novels/series/films, and she's quite new to video games (basically, I introduced her to it). How accessible do you think this game is to people who have almost no experience with videogames whatsoever?
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2022, 01:07:59 AM »

I finished my initial time-limited tour with around half my quest log complete, and was treated to a gruelling epilogue in which the consequences of my failures swiftly came to bury my - I thought, notable - successes: communities picked apart by imperial capital, then overrun by dark magic, half the settlements devastated, their secrets left to fester. I had given my character the personal objective of building a new home on the peninsula, but she ultimately met her death as a mercenary many leagues away, unloved and forgotten.

Like Asterion, I left behind a trail of fleeting victories and lingering disappointment. But I also felt the meaningfulness of what I did achieve all the more. So much of Roadwarden’s power derives from its sense of entropy, which bleeds into everything from its many, meticulous descriptions of rot and wreckage to the decreasing number of daylight hours as the season advances. Choices matter, here, simply because you can only make so many.

https://www.eurogamer.net/roadwarden-review-one-of-the-finest-historical-fantasies-youll-play

"Tell me the game was developed in a Slavic country without telling me the game was developed in a Slavic country" lol. I love how you guys are so good with finding beauty in brutally honest bleak writing.
Aureus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2022, 03:15:24 AM »

I love how you guys are so good with finding beauty in brutally honest bleak writing.
: D Though to be fair, some of the most influential stories for me are the Hayao Miyazaki's movies, while the games that inspired me are from all over the word, including Germany, UK, and US. Also storytelling-wise.

How accessible do you think this game is to people who have almost no experience with videogames whatsoever?

Thank you for your kindness, and that's a very interesting question! I think the approach matters a lot. For example, many people who played the game with the basic 40 day time limit claim it gets stupidly difficult and they struggle with the fact they usually lack just a few days to 90-100% the received quests. But there are also those who welcomed this barrier and acknowledged some of the game's themes - the limits of a single person, dealing with failures, the unresolved mysteries.

On the other hand, one can spend long play sessions doing nothing but talking with NPCs or traveling between villages. And since the game has no advanced controls or reflex / dexterity challenges, there's plenty of time to think things through, search the journal, load the game. I think as long as she saves often and avoids the wilderness / combat while she’s low on HP, armor, or food, she should do fine. : )

And if she wants an easier experience, the “casual” mode has no time limit whatsoever and more coins at the start of the game, and by extent allows to spend as much time as the player wants on resting, healing, and gaining coins by doing mundane jobs. Though you may need to explain it to her first.
Aureus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2023, 02:31:23 AM »

Hi! Since I'm not good at formatting and the recent devlog for Roadwarden has quite a few spoilers, I'd rather link to it instead. The game has recently been updated with its Anniversary Patch, and I'm discussing the new features, such as the new endings, changes to the UI, and the new difficulty settings.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic