Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:18:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallDadaists Gone Wild
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dadaists Gone Wild  (Read 3440 times)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« on: June 18, 2009, 03:20:43 PM »

Dadaists Gone Wild

You play as a young photographer who went off to a tropical island to take pictures of sexy women only to find himself lost in a strange dadaist world.

The game is a 4 level platformer that I made using Matt Thorson's Grandma engine.  It's got some warioware elements in that there will be strange situations that occur in which you must quickly figure out what to do.

It's designed and programmed by me, while some of the art is by my friend Ben Evans.

There are also 3 hidden stages, one of which is the original (harder) version of level 3-1, for those of you who want a challenge.   Wink

You can find the game here.

Also at it's Gamejolt page here.

There is also a version with most of the scroll and object flashing removed for those whose eyes get too hurt by the original version.

Hope You Enjoy!   Gentleman
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 06:01:22 PM by malec2b » Logged

Grif
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 01:04:36 AM »

I stand by this being the best game ever.

I was stuck at the snow part. Then I got it. Then I wanted to kill myself.

The last level is the greatest final chapter I have ever witnessed in a videogame (seriously)
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 08:34:32 AM »

Grin

Thanks!  Glad to hear you liked the game that much!   Gentleman

ortoslon
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 12:22:34 AM »

ERROR in
action number 1
of Key Release Event for <no key> Key
for object Woman2:

Error reading real.

I get these ignorable errors every time I collide with an enemy. 'Reading real' errors may be caused by locale differences (we use decimal commas instead of decimal dots in Russia).
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 08:44:10 AM »

Alright, I've removed the decimal point from the default save file (the decimal symbol will later be added by the game, so it should remain internally consistent).

Hope this fixes the problem.

ortoslon
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 08:54:20 AM »

still getting these errors. this may be a bug of Game Maker
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 05:20:09 PM »

Yeah, probably.  I can't recreate it myself, so I can't really do a lot of testing on it.  But since it's ignorable, hopefully it doesn't get too much in the way of the experience.

Alright, I've tried one more solution.  Now it won't bother with decimals at all, so hopefully it'll work.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 05:38:03 PM by malec2b » Logged

Fable
Level 0

What a night...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 06:17:41 PM »

He made me test it during it's half-finished and nearly finished points.

Alec, I hate you.

I make arts.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 06:42:32 PM »

He made me test it during it's half-finished and nearly finished points.

Alec, I hate you.

:D

Man, I've got to admit.  One of the joys of this game was watching my friends attempt to play it/be extremely confused.

Also, you might want to clarify that by Alec, you mean me.  There's a guy here who's username actually is Alec, and people might wonder why you suddenly said you hate him.  Wink

Fable
Level 0

What a night...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 06:50:17 PM »

I hate him too because his name is also Alec now. All Alecs must die.
Also dude, wtf you put in a level SPECIFICALLY to frustrate me. I'm not telling you about my found-cheats in your games anymore, otherwise I don't get to feel special.

I make arts.
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »

If the decimal bug has something to do with reading from a file, you can just the line as a string, replace all commas with decimals, then convert it to real.

I ran into the same problem with some of my projects.

Curseman
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 07:14:22 PM »

So do you find all the secrets by

just hitting the right button on your keyboard in the right area?  Because I spent a few minutes going through some of the levels doing things out of sequence and backwards and all that, and it didn't get me anything, then I accidentally bumped my keyboard during the flying part and I got some kind of weird random objects thing.  I don't really remember what it called itself.

The best part was definitely when you get

the jetpack, and that text tells you "I am a very large tree, I represent inevitability" and all that, and you think it's just more random nonsense, but nope, you suddenly smack into the tree and die.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 07:48:15 PM »

If the decimal bug has something to do with reading from a file, you can just the line as a string, replace all commas with decimals, then convert it to real.

I ran into the same problem with some of my projects.

Yeah, what I ended up doing was turning the reals into strings so that they don't save the decimal part at all (since they were useless anyway).  Hopefully it works now.

So do you find all the secrets by

just hitting the right button on your keyboard in the right area?  Because I spent a few minutes going through some of the levels doing things out of sequence and backwards and all that, and it didn't get me anything, then I accidentally bumped my keyboard during the flying part and I got some kind of weird random objects thing.  I don't really remember what it called itself.

No.  I said in the feedback thread that you can only get one of the secret areas by cheating.  I'm going to leave the other two a mystery, but I will say that the secret level which is the harder version of level 3-1 is hidden somewhere on level 3-1.  None of them are random button presses in the right location.

Fuzz
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 09:50:19 PM »

good stuff.
although the game comes off as quite amateurish it has its own unique charm and does what it sets out to do exactly as it should be done. whatever that means. the surrealism and inversion of traditional gameplay values was excellent.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 10:05:24 PM »

good stuff.
although the game comes off as quite amateurish it has its own unique charm and does what it sets out to do exactly as it should be done. whatever that means. the surrealism and inversion of traditional gameplay values was excellent.

Thanks.  One of the things about the game is that I'm trying to balance the ridiculous nature of the game, while still not having it appear that I just threw it together at random.  So hopefully it appears amateurish in the ways that I intended and not ways that I didn't intend. (Unless you mean the cloud background[Actually, I make no apologies for the sky background.  That's what I wanted it to look like.] and the tile-set, that's just because I'm a bad artist and I don't think Ben's had any experience with tile art Shrug). 

I was hoping to make it look like I knew what I was doing when I made it, just that what I was doing happened to be completely insane.   Wink
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:17:07 PM by malec2b » Logged

Fable
Level 0

What a night...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 07:04:42 AM »

I wanna have a go at pixel-ing. I'll help you out if ya want.

I make arts.
ortoslon
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 07:13:58 AM »

Yeah, probably.  I can't recreate it myself, so I can't really do a lot of testing on it.  But since it's ignorable, hopefully it doesn't get too much in the way of the experience.

Alright, I've tried one more solution.  Now it won't bother with decimals at all, so hopefully it'll work.

yes, it works. and you can reproduce these kinds of errors by changing your locale (Control Panel > Regional Settings).
Aquin
Level 10

Aquin is over here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2009, 08:02:51 PM »

That was awesome.  WTF

What's with all these great games on the Announcements board NOT making front page?

I'd write a devlog about my current game, but I'm too busy making it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic