Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 03:53:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBorn of Fire - DBG and Roguelike gameplay (free trial version)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Born of Fire - DBG and Roguelike gameplay (free trial version)  (Read 1145 times)
leafboatstudio
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2019, 07:36:44 PM »

*Update. The info for the new version is all the way at the bottom. Please scroll down. Thank you.

Hi, we are running the alpha test version of our game Born of Fire. The current version of the game only has two different battle modes, so we would like to get feedback on the gameplay and other things that you may think needs to be improved that we haven't thought of.

You can download the game for free from our itch.io page: https://leafboatstudio.itch.io/born-of-fire

Born of Fire is a strategy card game that combines the gameplay of Roguelike and Deck-building games. In addition to the classic tower mode, you can meticulously build your deck to battle players from around the world.

The name Born of Fire comes from an important part of the game’s plot. Your hero enters a divine world, challenging the legendary Tower of Phoenix. When you are defeated, you will be reborn in the Flames of Phoenix. You will become stronger every time you lose. Eventually, you will be strong enough to beat the Phoenix to reach the top of the tower and become the god of a new generation.

There are many heroes to choose from in the game. Every hero has a different battle position. Commanders that are adept defenders and can command the battle. Mages with explosive spells that affect a wide range. Also, you can put allies with different features into your deck to fight alongside you.

Game Features:

Innovative time sequence battles for faster pace battles and more excitement.
You aren’t alone. Place allies with different abilities in your deck to fight alongside you.
Arrange your defenders and attackers to open the door to victory.
You will never know what traps your opponent has set for you with their special “Counter” cards.
Heroes have exclusive rage spells that can turn the battle around.
Exciting Content:

There are two classes with more to come.
The classic Roguelike mode has random enemies, missions, and rewards.
You can upgrade your cards. Every battle will make you stronger.
Collect cards to make a unique deck and battle players from around the world in Duel mode.
New gameplay or classes will be introduced every month such as the Two-headed Giant mode (2v2) and Ladder mode.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:17:57 PM by leafboatstudio » Logged
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 06:58:54 PM »

Hey LeafBoatStudio,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

leafboatstudio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 07:54:47 PM »

Thank you very much. Some other people have made some similar comments as you. We'll definitely try to improve the game. Do you have any suggestions as to how to make the trailer look different from Hearthstone?
Narsiph
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 11:12:34 AM »

I tested this Game - Here's my Feedback.

Foreword
Non native english speaker. If you have problem understanding something, tell me, i am happy to rephrase my texts.

Graphic:
The Graphics and Style is okay. In my opinion its... a bit overburden with stuff going on the screen. Maybe keep it down a notch. Take some inspiration from Slay the Spire, Hearthstone and smiliar games.

Game Mechanics:
Allthough i am learning at excelling speeds, more than anything, i struggled to understand what is happening. For one turn i sat there over a minute watching my creatures getting demolished and everyone fighting against each other while i had absolutely no clue why...

Beside of that, i was told "Only one Ally per Turn" but in one turn i could place two but i had no informations why, if that should happend or whatever. I was confused most of the time.

Focus on one thing, in my opinion. The bar on the side was like a initiative bar but again: No clue how to use it to my advantage or anything else.

I played MTG since it came out and nearly all TCG's that came and diminished again. There were not many that i struggled with. Sometimes going easy on 'features' for mechanics is best.

Sound:
I would turn the sound down. Not because its of bad quality, but sound in general, in such games, tend to annoy me as they have no benefit other than being there. In Hearthstone on the other hand, i like the sound because the creatures "talk" a tiny bit. That makes it kind of fun. Just - dont copy it. I did not see such a similiar sound-feature in other game. Voice Acting/Voice Actors are quite expensive and bad ones tend to annoy.

Overall... Phew, would i give it another shot in beta? Probably, to see what has changed. The Style is neat but the game mechanics threw me off and kept me struggling. Had no fun to start another round or even try to play against a player (if there would have been any).

Keep on making this game, finish it, make something out of it Smiley Dont let yourself get discouraged by a random stranger over the webz.

Stay crunchy.
leafboatstudio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 09:57:12 PM »

This is great feedback. It seems like a lot of people are having similar problems understanding the gameplay.
rshum85
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 10:39:54 PM »

Pros
love the visuals, reminds me a lot of hearthstone
Animations are pretty smooth

Cons
Text description is cut off for characters that are played on the back row and have lots of abilities (ex: the paladin)
The tutorial description texts are super tiny

suggestions
-maybe a feature where I can look at the details of the cards that were played by the opponent?
quite often spells are cast and I couldn't finish reading the text because it shows up for 1-2 seconds

-the timeline that represents who goes next is hard to read - the icons overlap and since they are small, I don't know which icon represents which character.

-change the bg color of the description of abilities based on if it's a 'good' buff or 'bad'.

-maybe ease in the learning mechanics gradually?  Hearthstone does a good job by slowly introducing the abilities battle by battle and not all at once.  Maybe you are doing this in the future, not sure Smiley

notes
This is not a bad or good thing, just an observation: learning curve is a bit steep, there are quite a few game mechanics to learn (combo, poison, air cutting,...etc).  It's great there are descriptions for them all.

throw shield card:
"...if target is an enemy ally", does that just mean enemy?

mage is so overpowered!  AOE damage spells to everyone on my side...and it happens frequently too!

Keep up the good work!  Balancing a card game is a very challenging task!
leafboatstudio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 06:22:47 PM »

More great feedback. Thanks!

Yes, enemy ally means enemy. We already changed the word ally for the next update to make it easier to understand.

leafboatstudio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 05:09:26 AM »

Hi,
We have updated the game to include a lot more gameplay, cards, and levels as well as fixing a lot of problems that were previously mentioned. Also, we have begun our free trial version on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1081470/Born_of_Fire/

Please try out the update and let us know what you think.

Update notes:

Born of Fire fuses the gameplay of Roguelike and deck-building games. In the trial version, you can play a basic version of the tower mode. When you clear a floor, you can choose a card to “take with you” and place it in your deck. Also, you will get chests. When you open the chests, you will get completely new cards.

You can build a deck from the cards you collect and then you can battle other players! You will get chests if you win or lose to get even more cards. When you get multiples of a card, it will transform into experience to upgrade the card’s level and make the card even stronger. Then when you get this card again in tower mode, it will be its upgraded level. Your journey through the tower will be smoother by continuing to upgrade cards.

You can experience everything described above in the free trial version. In the next few weeks, we plan to add even more content:

General:
+ Support Traditional and Simplified Chinese
+ Add 5 songs
+ Support on/off switch for music and sound

Tower Mode:
+ Shop
+ Campsite
+ Artifacts
+ Add more Roguelike events to include exclusive events for heroes and creatures.
+ Add more creature AI and spells
+ Adjust the balance weekly

Cards:
+ Add a new card every week including creatures and spells
+ Adjust card balance weekly

We plan to release the early access version in the not to distance future to add even more content:
+ Completely new heroes for commander class and mage class
+ Mission system
+ Achievement system
+ Double-headed giant (2 vs 2)
+ Story mode
+ Daily and weekly tasks
+ More cards, creatures, and artifacts
+ Support more languages

Now please play the free trial version of Born of Fire. We are looking forward to hearing your feedback and suggestions, which will help us to improve the game. Also, please join our games community:
Discord: https://discord.gg/bornoffire
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic