Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411424 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:27:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLight of the Locked World - 0.6.0 - RPG - Play demo!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Light of the Locked World - 0.6.0 - RPG - Play demo!  (Read 6171 times)
Zuurix
« on: June 08, 2019, 08:22:53 AM »

Light of the Locked World is a fantasy role-playing game.

Enter a developing world of Kayos, try to start a new life, and become entangled in a fight against an existential threat.

Download demo

Steam >>
GameJolt >>
Itch.io >>
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 02:27:15 AM by Zuurix » Logged
Zuurix
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 10:20:24 AM »

LOTLW Blog #1: The journey so far

Welcome to the first LOTLW development blog entry!

Light of the Locked World is what happens when old school MMORPG is turned into small, but dense RPG with local splitscreen multiplayer.

I have started working on it in 2018 October and serious development began in 2019 March, when I released the last content update for my other game.

Here are other important moments:

January 2019

In January I have defined LOTLW's artstyle and implemented pathfinding.

February 2019

During this month I have added inventory systems and written the foundation for the game's story.

April 2019

This month was all about character graphics - I have implemented animation and equipment sprite systems, made walking and attack animations.
I have also added the wind system, which was a huge success - the game feels a lot more alive with plants, flags, and capes moving in the wind.

May 2019

May was epic! During it I was working on combat - now it finally resembles what it will be like at the end of development.
I also implemented basic faction systems. Factions will be very important to the game - player actions will determine how NPCs react to them.

The Present

My current goal is to release the pre-alpha demo in June.

There's still a lot to do - finish Moonrise Desert area, add HUD, rework interface and world chunking systems, make the game more player-friendly, add a way to customize keybindings, and so on.

So, yeah, I am not very optimistic about releasing the demo this month.

Whatever happens, I'll keep you all updated =]

If there's something specific you want me to write about in the next entry - Story? Combat? First area? Faction system? - let me know in the comments.

Until next time!
Zuurix
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 03:44:27 AM »

Inventory 1.0

Zuurix
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 07:21:04 AM »

LOTLW Blog #2: UI and combat

This week I've been working on UI.

I've done two things:

1) Finished the first version of Items page. Items page is inventory + equipment + stats.

2) Changed the way game handles UI, fixing a lot of problems and making the process of developing UI much faster.

UI still needs a bit of work, but most of it is ready for the pre-alpha demo.
Now the only big obstacle left is area loading - I'm still stuck on that.

Anyway, I was suggested to write about the combat, so let's get into it.

This is how combat works:

Holding attack key - can be any mouse button, controller button, or keyboard key! - will charge up attack.
Once it is charged, animation plays and attack is executed.

Where it gets interesting is attacks themselves.
The player always has 3 combat spells: Melee position spell, limited position spell, and open position spell.

To execute a melee position spell, your character must be in a melee range of an enemy character.
In pre-alpha demo melee spell simply deals weapon damage to the nearest enemy character.

To execute a limited position spell, your character must be near something that you can't move through - rocks, walls, cliffs, bodies of water, etc.
In pre-alpha demo limited spell restores 10% of health. Currently, it's the only way to restore health.

To execute an open position spell, your character must not be in limited and melee positions - away from enemies, edges, and obstacles.
In pre-alpha demo, open spell teleports your character to nearest enemy melee range and binds the enemy for 4 seconds. Bound characters are unable to move.

In future combat spells will be determined by the equipped weapon - this is where limitless design space comes from.
To make weapons and combat have good variety all I need to do is add about 50 combat spells, which is not too difficult.

Another important aspect of this system is that level design changes the combat.

I can make long, narrow passages where open position spells are impossible to execute, fields with no limited positions to retreat to, and trap-filled mazes where enemies don't let you get close for melee spells.

So to summarize, in the end, combat should become varied, highly customizable, easy to learn, skill demanding, and PVP viable.
A combat system to be the core of an RPG =]

That's all for this entry!

If there's something you want me to write in the next entry - let me know in the comments.
Zuurix
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 07:20:42 AM »

Zuurix
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 10:57:27 AM »

LOTLW Blog #3: Moonrise Desert and OST

This week I finally fixed area loading and now I'm building the first area - Moonrise Desert.

Here are a few screenshots:

About Moonrise Desert:

It's an arid land around Moonrise Site, the place where Demon Moon was built and risen.

Demon Moon is a giant iron sphere built to be a prison where demons are taken when they are banished with Ritual of Banishment.
Demons must be banished because they are completely indestructible.

Moonrise Desert is very rich with iron, the ore veins are close to the surface and are easy to mine.
That's the main reason why the Moon was built here.

Pits and ditches in the desert are left by mining to get all the iron required for the Moon.

Currently, the only humans in the Moonrise Desert are exiled criminals.

Anyway, I also want to share an epic track from LOTLW's OST!

Music for Light of the Locked World is composed by Bert Cole, a musical genius who has also made Sector Six OST.

Capital of the World will play in Eiralta, world's most important city.

If you want to know more about Bert Cole, visit his website:
Link >>

That's all for this entry.

Until next time!
Zuurix
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 03:10:20 AM »

Play now! LOTLW pre-alpha demo is now available!

Download from GameJolt >>

The purpose of this demo is to show what the game will be like and gather early feedback.

Feedback form:

Link >>

To complete the demo content, obtain a full set of iron equipment, cape, sash, and amulet.

Note:

To do PVP, find and equip red cape.

This will change your faction alignment, allowing you to attack the other player.

Have fun!
Zuurix
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »

LOTLW Blog #4: Better graphics and other goals

After releasing the alpha demo I've been working on improving the game's graphics.

I've started with small things - cloud shadows and sand particles.

Cloud shadows went through several changes:

Currently, cloud shadows are still not finished because I started working on non-cloud shadows, which currently look like this:

I've also made minor changes to attack animation, added idle animation, and changed the font.

Improving graphics is just one of the many things that I want to do before releasing the next demo version:

Add interior system and Locul town

• A system to allow you to go inside houses and then a bunch of houses!

UI looks 2.0

• Current UI looks too bland.

Character interaction system

• Pressing a key while you are near to a character will open a screen with options, such as talk to a character, trade with character, etc. This is system is necessary for making quests and trading.

Role system and first four roles

• This is a big one: It requires a lot of coding, staff and bow attack animations, 6 new attack spells, and countless UI additions. The first 4 roles to be added are Warrior, Mage, Archer, and Survivor. Expect to get more information about roles in the future.

The first quest

• Combining roles, new content, and character interaction system into your first big adventure in Caios!

My goal for next week is to finish working on graphics and start working on the interior system.

That's all for now, until next time!
Zuurix
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 04:47:48 AM »

WIP shadows.
Zuurix
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 08:23:34 AM »

LOTLW Blog #5: Shadows, UI, and future of the combat

It's been two weeks since the last entry.

The first week I've been making shadows, the second - finished shadows and started making new UI.

I decided to work on the UI because it has been bothering me for a while and because I wanted to do something different after working so long on shadows.

First I played with colors and frames, hoping that would be enough.

None of the mockups felt right for the game. I want an immersive UI, and none of those felt like a part of the game's world.

I wanted something UI as cool as old RPGs had - with statues, stone arches, columns, gems, parchments, and other good stuff.

While thinking about all of this, an image flashed in my mind, it looked something like this:

I've spent an entire day trying to make it fit the art style of the game.

The last iteration of castle UI even had shelves in the inventory.

But I've run into problems.

I had two options: Make it noisy and tiring to the eyes to display all of the useful information, or hide the information to make it look better.

I really hate choosing between convenience and beauty, so I decided to drop the castle UI and try something else.

The next idea is to go for a medieval adventurer logbook/diary feel.

So instead of putting things on shelves in a castle, the adventurer would instead draw pictures of owned items on a piece of paper.

Currently, it's the best idea - this UI has the same looks as the rest of the game, it makes sense, and it's convenient.

Hoping to finish it next week.

Anyway, about the combat:

The feedback I received since the pre-alpha demo was released is clear - combat needs to be better.

Like castle UI, position-based combat seemed like a great idea at first.
It turned out that it's just more complicated than it needs to be and has no significant benefits.

I want to get rid of the position aspect of the system, and instead, allow to use attacks everywhere with different buttons as many other games do.

I also want players to be able to change their strategy during fights and have more options.

The weapons should offer 3 or more ways to defeat an enemy.

For example, ideas for the iron sword:

Attack A:
A quick attack that deals low damage, but makes the target bleed and increases movement speed temporarily.
The plan is to jump to the enemy, make it bleed and run away, repeat until the enemy dies.

Attack B:
A slow attack that in addition to dealing damage, binds both you and the enemy.
There is a short window for the enemy to escape.
The plan is to bind and outlast the enemy.

Attack C:
Creates an energy field that deals high to enemies that are performing attacks against you.
The energy field will also deal low damage to enemies around you.
The plan is to create the field and punish aggressive enemies, then finish them with area damage.

A is effective against C because you don't have to stay in the energy field. A is useful if you have low health and can't afford to take too much damage.

B is effective against A because bleed is only useful if it's possible to run away. B is a good option if you can take some damage or an ally is healing you.

C is effective against B because it requires the enemy to attack you. It's also a defensive option because it punishes enemies that are attacking you. Also effective against enemy groups.

This should give the player plenty of choices and make new things possible with AI.
NPCs could react to what you're doing, for example, try B when you're doing A.
Then you can switch to C for that retaliation damage or B - if you are confident that you can outlast the enemy.

I have no idea if this will work, but I think it's safe to say that the next version of the demo will be more interesting to test!

I'll be changing the combat when I'm done with UI and other graphical improvements, so in a week or two.

That's all for now, until next time!
Zuurix
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 07:12:05 AM »

LOTLW Blog #6: Progress GIFs

UI rework is coming to an end!

I'm very happy with how it looks now - buttons will move, features will be added and removed, but the style will stay the same.

Another thing that will make it to version 1.0 is the new tooltip system!

They are incredibly versatile and easy to customize - they will be crucial in building the rest of UI.

The next tasks are to convert the rest of UI to the new style - currently, only the Items page have been converted - and make a new HUD.

I'm hoping to do that next week and then start working on combat changes I've written about in the previous entry.

Until next time!
Zuurix
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 05:06:55 AM »

After a break, I'm back to working on LOTLW!
Now working on a new combat system - it's almost done, all I need to do is teach NPCs how to use it.

Zuurix
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2019, 04:01:15 AM »

Beastboy
Level 3

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 01:07:59 PM »

I really like this art style, may i sugest some enviroment animations? Snakes, birds, fog, etc
Zuurix
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 04:23:37 AM »

I do want to add more motion to the environment, but I don't know what I'll end up doing. Right now I am focused on other tasks.
Zuurix
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2019, 08:27:38 AM »

Soon it will be possible to level up! A big moment for RPG =]
Zuurix
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 08:38:46 AM »

And it's possible!

The next goal is making a town, which will be challenging - I'll need to make a building interior system and a ton of new assets.
Zuurix
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 05:23:54 AM »

WIP interior system.
Zuurix
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2019, 04:21:29 AM »

Now works for both players and is good enough to build the first town in the game =]
Zuurix
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2019, 07:50:26 AM »

Today I have made better tiles for the house. The interior has an issue with perspective, but I'm going to fix that tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic