Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 04:18:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesWesterado
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Westerado  (Read 2579 times)
andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« on: June 15, 2019, 06:08:31 PM »

I know I'm a few years late on this game, but I picked up Westerado: Double Barreled in a recent Humble Store sale and I've been thoroughly enjoying my experience.

I only have a few hours in – but I'm loving the pixel desert landscapes and the open world experience.  There are quests like you'd expect in an open world game, but there aren't any essential characters – so you can literally clear out towns if that's what you want to do. There's a genuine feeling of freedom and the game world feels alive and interesting.

The shooting mechanics are a little stiff – but they work. You can shoot left and right but not up and down. Every other NPC has the same limitations, so it feels fair enough. It's pretty easy to exploit enemies by staying near the edge of two areas and reloading safely in one while carelessly unloading in the other.

So far, I've genuinely found myself wanting to explore every inch of the map and see what secrets are tucked away. I've also enjoyed the music, which really does a nice job conveying tension and exploration. There are only a few tracks though – so if I spend more time with the game, I could see the banjo and trumpet getting old.

For me, it's too early to say if the game will have much replay-ability. But for $3, I can't really complain.

Long story short: I think it's pretty good. Just wanted to drop in and share my experience. Anyone else enjoy this game?

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »

Started playing but stopped one day. Charming indie game, I love the art too. Will be playing through it though one day, but I must finish Luckslinger first.

andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 03:42:07 PM »

Started playing but stopped one day. Charming indie game, I love the art too. Will be playing through it though one day, but I must finish Luckslinger first.

Luckslinger looks cool. I may have to pick it up. It's strange - I don't remember many good western games when I was a kid. It looks like the retro indie scene has gone back and filled that void.

fategame
Level 0

https://fategame.itch.io/buy NEW INDIE DEV!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 11:50:33 AM »

I like the look of it, give some cool vibes, looks comfy. Reminds me of something absolutely epic I saw on twitter recently, a Day-of-the-dead / western cross over game- stunning graphics, this stuff looks AAA not indie... I'll have to find it!

https://fategame.itch.io/buy  Please consider supporting a new indie dev and helping us get out the word, because you know good games, you love good games and you like to share good things! Clock Blockers 2-a-like
andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 07:39:55 AM »

I like the look of it, give some cool vibes, looks comfy. Reminds me of something absolutely epic I saw on twitter recently, a Day-of-the-dead / western cross over game- stunning graphics, this stuff looks AAA not indie... I'll have to find it!

I would be curious to see that.

Just to add, after a few more playthroughs, I've been pleasantly surprised by the variety of endings. I rolled my eyes a bit at the revelation in my first playthrough, but now that I've seen a few different outcomes, I appreciate it more.

Also, I missed some of the fourth wall breaking on my first playthrough. I didn't think much of the cameras in the desert until I stumbled into the director. The "extra mode" is a pretty great addition too. I also enjoyed seeing what happens pulling the gun in conversations I didn't before.

I feel like I got a lot of entertainment out of those $3.  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Money Right

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic