Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 12:47:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoon Rhapsody (Demo available, NSFW warning)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Moon Rhapsody (Demo available, NSFW warning)  (Read 16002 times)
Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2019, 05:57:59 AM »

About:

Moon Rhapsody is an action adventure game with a style similar to the 2D Zelda games and old school JRPGs that also features mature themes and light survival elements similar to those found in survival horror games. It follows a girl named Sasha who is ship wrecked in a sudden storm and later awakens on a small but dangerous island.

Download:

You can download the demo of Moon Rhapsody at Itch.io or Gamejolt. It can be completed in 20 minutes if you know what you're doing but there's a lot of side content to find.

https://kosmic91.itch.io/moon-rhapsody-demo

https://gamejolt.com/games/MoonRhapsody/474923

Features:

• A large world to explore with many different kinds of locations, monsters, and wildlife.
  • A mix of fast paced melee and range combat.
  • Non linear structure, many areas and bosses aren't required to finish the game.
  • Limited inventory, may or may not be a plus depending on your taste but here you can only carry what you have equipped, though there is a way to store items for later use.

Characters:

Sasha Nikolayeva: A girl who left her hometown by herself to explore the mostly demon infested Azure Islands for reasons unknown.

Satcher: Not a very talkative guy, he likes to collect(or steal) rare weapons and treasure from the many ruins around the Azure Islands, but he might be willing to part with some of stuff he finds.

Mizuki: A phantom siren that has isolated herself in a dark city.

Enemies:
Undead: Very common foes that were once pirates and use various weapons to fight with, even though they are dead they still have their basic instincts and thought processes intact.

Chiyo: Bat like spirits that like to hang around caves, forests, and pretty much everywhere else. They aren't hostile but they can be annoying to deal with in groups.

Blade Bug: Heavily armored insects that are impervious to most melee attacks. Like Chiyos they aren't generally hostile but their tail can inflict a lot of damage if it strikes Sasha.

Forest Wyrm: As their name implies they are typically found in forests and jungles, usually sleeping, but if disturbed become incredibly dangerous due to their fire and poison attacks.

Shooting Star: These common enemies found around beaches and shallow waters resemble urchins but are actually soft bodied creatures that shield themselves in spikey rocks that they can manipulate telepathically somehow.

Wet Lantern: A cave and deep sea dweller, they tend to roam around in large groups and are difficult to kill, though the light they give off can make it easier to see in dark places.

Harpy: Mischievous feral demons found all over the Azure Islands but especially in higher places like mountaintops. They enjoy fighting but they can be reasoned with sometimes.

Weapon Types:

Blades: The easiest weapons to use, they however require SP which won't recover automatically.

Pistols: The weakest type of firearm, but ammo for it is pretty common.

Rifles: More powerful firearms that can be equipped with a scope for sniping or a bayonet to avoid having to switch to a sword or blade for melee attacks.

Original Post:

Hi TIG, probably not too many people remember the last devlog I started a few years back for my other game which I still haven't finished and stopped giving updates on, but while I haven't abandoned it I wanted to try making a somewhat smaller game first using some of the ideas I had that I didn't feel would work in my other project.  So this is Moon Rhapsody, a top down action adventure game kind of like Zelda I've been making the past few months, though it has survival elements it's more like Resident Evil or other horror games with limited inventory space and ammo to find rather than something like say Don't Starve. It's also NSFW and a kind of dark game overall but I won't talk too much about that right now, so here are some screenshots.

You can see more including artwork and some gameplay clips on my twitter at https://twitter.com/_KM91_.  I'll try to give more frequent updates for this game from now on. I'm mostly done with the first dungeon so I might have a playable demo soon, but I can't say when.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 11:51:15 PM by Kosmic » Logged

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 11:01:32 AM »

Wow cool! It has the graphics style of a Game Boy Advance game!  Grin

Games:

Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 08:15:52 AM »

Wow cool! It has the graphics style of a Game Boy Advance game!  Grin

Yeah, Link's Awakening if ported to the GBA was kind of the look I wanted.

Happy 4th of July to any fellow Americans here. I guess I'll explain a bit more more about the gameplay while I'm trying to hammer away at the menu screens. So while the game is fundamentally like a typical 2D Zelda game in that you explore the world screen by screen and occasionally go inside caves, dungeons and solve puzzles. There's a stronger emphasis on using firearms and projectiles than hacking and slashing to fight enemies, though it's still a viable option to save ammo. Not a lot of enemies have guns, the ones that do are often snipers so you can use a machete or a sword to take care of most minor enemies. But doing any kind of physical activity besides moving around, jumping, or using a gun/item costs SP and it will not recover automatically. You can restore your HP/SP by finding a checkpoint or using items. SP drains at a pretty slow rate from attacking but some actions like swimming, climbing, or struggling with a monster or demon will cause it to drain much faster. So what happens if you run out of SP? Nothing normally, but you can't use melee attacks or slide attacks, if you're in water you will drown, if you are in an extremely hot or cold environment and not dressed properly you will collapse, and if an enemy has you restrained you may not die but it won't end well.

Another thing to note is the protagonist Sasha's clothes take damage from attacks(More so from slash attacks or fire) and if she is stripped completely not only will it reduce your defense but enemies drain SP much quicker if they grab her.

This might seem pretty perverted and typical of a hentai game, but most enemies actually don't bother grabbing Sasha and there are no hentai scenes(Longer than a few seconds) in the game, so sorry if that disappoints anyone.

Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 07:14:49 AM »

Well I mostly finished the options menu along with the map and status screens. The retro control option I added so a 6-button controller like the SNES can be used, you won't be able to move and aim the crosshair at the same time, but you can still strafe and shoot.

Shooting is still a bit janky sometimes. In the last post's gif, you probably noticed Sasha fired forward at an enemy that jumped at her from the side and still hit it. Also at the moment bullets are only visible when fired at certain angles, this is because I didn't want to have to rotate Sasha's arms to point directly at the crosshair since I didn't think looked all that good, so I'm still working out how I can make it look better.  
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 07:30:01 AM by Kosmic » Logged

Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 07:26:13 PM »

Don't really have much to say this week, but here's a town area I've been working pretty hard on. I still need to do a lot of the interiors and NPCs.

It has an East Asian vibe as you could probably tell, most of the game world is set on various islands that are based around the waters in that region.

velocirection
Level 2

Your favorite pizza raptor game developer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 10:11:32 PM »

Wow looks great! :D beautiful pixel art(the town area looks amazing)

Gameplay looks fun. And nsfw is always a plus in my book.

https://twitter.com/velocirection
(WARNING- NSFW, 18+! Adults only!)
Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 10:38:00 PM »

Wow looks great! :D beautiful pixel art(the town area looks amazing)

Gameplay looks fun. And nsfw is always a plus in my book.

Thank you velocirection.

Bit of a late Screenshot Saturday but here's the first boss in the game. These monsters called Dreadnauts can pickup multiple weapons(or Sasha) and hide in their bullet proof shells if they take too much damage. Their weapons have long range and deal a lot of damage so it's best to target their tentacles and disarm them as soon as possible.

Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 10:21:43 PM »

A few new screens and an artwork dump for this week.

velocirection
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 09:42:56 PM »

Oh my god I love the squid shell thing with all the weapons!!! That's such a neat design!

Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2019, 08:27:09 PM »

Oh my god I love the squid shell thing with all the weapons!!! That's such a neat design!

Thanks, it was kind of tough to program.

I've been slowly improving the graphics of the first dungeon and overworld to look more detailed, when I first started the game it had a more Game Boy Color style to it, but it didn't quite work for the atmosphere I wanted, so I switched to the 16-bit style. The forest originally didn't look all that different from the field areas, so made the trees and vegetatation more lush and towering.
I think it came out all right, but now it might look a bit too Chrono Triggery, either way I still got more work to do.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 02:30:44 AM »

i am sorry to be disparaging of your horniness, but i wanted to say that your art and ideas are good enough to transcend your horny nature, you could very easily succeed without it. however, horniness is ones own choice, and you should not be dissuaded from expressing yourself by a stranger. good luck to you.
Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 09:07:34 PM »

i am sorry to be disparaging of your horniness, but i wanted to say that your art and ideas are good enough to transcend your horny nature, you could very easily succeed without it. however, horniness is ones own choice, and you should not be dissuaded from expressing yourself by a stranger. good luck to you.

Thank you for your comment, though I'm sorry if you don't like the game's content, I want to make something I feel people will enjoy playing first and foremost but I understand some folk will still be turned off by it.

For this gif I posted, if you're wearing less clothes you can swim slightly better using less SP which can be useful since much of the world's map is ocean. Since the areas where you can buy or obtain gear are kind of far apart, Sasha's clothes are repaired if you use a save point or die. Weapons have durability as well and will degrade faster if they get wet, they also have to be repaired using a different method other than the save points.

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2019, 02:19:06 AM »

respectfully, i will not be jacking off to your game. but it does look wonderful mechanically. i wish you every success
Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 01:41:32 PM »

respectfully, i will not be jacking off to your game. but it does look wonderful mechanically. i wish you every success

Thank you, TBH though this isn't a game I expect people to jack off to much while playing, it's a bit too hard to play with one hand anyway. It's inspired by certain dark fantasy manga and anime and I always thought it was strange video games especially japanese developed ones don't often feature similar kind of worlds, outside of stuff like Dark Souls and From Software's other games they usually go for something more shounen and kid/teen friendly. I want the content in this game to feel mature but in a way that disturbs more than it arouses people.

Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2019, 08:58:47 PM »

Finally have some gameplay with audio, there's some music in the game already but me and the composer MisfitChris are still working on it for this particular area.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 05:51:06 PM by Kosmic » Logged

velocirection
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2019, 03:10:22 PM »

I think its awesome that you're putting nsfw stuff in it, even if it's not intended to be horny. It's rare to see games with such high quality in both graphics and gameplay that have nsfw content. Seems like a lot of people arw afraid of doing things like that and when devs are brave enough to make quality nsfw games(horny or not) it's nice to see.

Btw, absolutely beautiful forest. I do see the resemblance to CT but I think that's one of my favorite forests using tiles in games, they got a lot of mileage out of what little graphics they could spare for that place. Love seeing that kind of forest :3

Btw btw, gameplay vid lookin sweet as hell~

Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2019, 09:05:30 PM »

Another look at the environment this week.

This area is on the opposite side of the island with the town I posted earlier. I think I have a pretty good idea what the overall map looks like now, but most of it is still in rough draft phase or not started yet.
The first major region in the game called Meigui Island is very similar in design to the 2D Zelda games with plains, forests, mountains and whatnot, but for the areas beyond that I want them to have a slightly different feel.

Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2019, 08:35:13 PM »

Been working on some parts I don't want to spoil too much so I may not post quite as frequently for a bit.
Here's a screen showing one of the game's merchants, of course there's regular stores in towns you can go too as well but you usually won't find items like potions or strong weaponry in them. I also changed the HUD up a little for the equipped items.

Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2019, 08:25:18 PM »

Got another gameplay clip to share this time. Grenades shown here are not all that easy to come by but they are very handy when you really need to get something out of the way. If you hold the aim button they can also be thrown onto some ledges.

Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 09:23:25 PM »

Back again, I got another site I'll be posting updates for at https://kosdevlog.blogspot.com though I'll still post here from time to time. Some updated artwork and screens are posted there along with some of my older stuff.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic