Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:09:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoon Rhapsody (Demo available, NSFW warning)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Moon Rhapsody (Demo available, NSFW warning)  (Read 15877 times)
Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »

One last update before the year ends, I hope people are enjoying their holidays. I wanted to release a demo before the end of 2019 but a lot of what I had still needed a lot of work and ironing out. But it's getting close to being ready now.

This shot is of the same town I posted before, but as you can see I decided to go for a more 3D perspective akin to a PS1 pre-rendered game when you explore it. This is probably going to be the only 90% safe town in the game, so the player will be in and out of it frequently, thus I wanted to give it some more character.

If anyone's curious how I did this, I made a simplistic 3D model first of the town, then took screenshots of each scene I wanted and then finally drew over them in Aseprite.

The last 3 screens below are from a large part of the game I haven't touched upon too much yet, but I will show more of it soon. That's all for this year.

Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2020, 03:25:01 AM »

It took me way longer than I originally intended but you can download the first public demo of Moon Rhapsody at Itch.io. It can be completed in around 20 minutes but there's a lot of side content to find. It's also not part of the game's beginning and may be a bit difficult.

https://kosmic91.itch.io/moon-rhapsody-demo

I might upload some video gameplay of it later on.

Kosmic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2020, 01:49:46 PM »

Update on progress, also posted on the demo download pages.

Recently added:

-Rainstorms, it will sometimes get dark and start to rain in the overworld at random times. I don't want to say too much how much it effects the gameplay yet but tall structures like the spear shaped rocks around the ocean and mountains attract lightning.

Being worked on:

-The overworld map(40%), I put off finishing it because I wanted the demo out sooner and I wasn't satisfied with the intro areas yet. I want to finish it before most of the dungeon and interior locations so that it's easier to figure out how the player progresses through the game. The demo posted here only features a little bit of the overworld, most of it is actually in a dungeon like area though it's much bigger than a regular one.

-Fishing, I wanted to put this in the demo but I thought it would be better for a later update.

Will work on soon:

-Training room, someone suggested adding this as I know it takes some getting used to the combat. It will probably be added to the extras menu.

-Weapon upgrading, while the weapons in the demo have different stats and levels already implemented there's no way to actually upgrade them yet. I was thinking of having an item that you can use to do it but I might use another or multiple methods.

-Gear, there's only one extra piece of gear you can find in the demo and another outfit that I decided to save for later. You can't take off Sasha's headphones in the demo but you will be able to equip other headgear over them in the future.

Things to fix:

-Mist Field layout, this area is easy to get lost in by design but there's a lot of parts to it that are unfinished and parts I'm not sure I'm satisfied with. It'll probably receive some heavy changes in later versions.

-Enemies dropping items, if you play the challenge mode you'll notice the enemies drop ammo and money here, and they also do this in the overworld.  But they do it the form of a chest that can sometimes get the player stuck in some places or not able to open them since they can only be opened from the front, so I'll probably just make it a regular item drop from now on.

-Potential lag for low end computers, since I'm using Game Maker this always going to be an issue I have to think about. The overworld is in one very, very large room with thousands of objects so it's by far the worst offender. I'm still working on ways to optimize it further.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 11:53:06 PM by Kosmic » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic