Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:03:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWhiskers & Wags - a plaformer "clean-em-up"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Whiskers & Wags - a plaformer "clean-em-up"  (Read 14231 times)
Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2019, 11:32:26 AM »

Spammy combos are properly discouraged. While in the air, using the same move more than a few times limits how much extended air time you'll get.

But, with a variety of moves being strung together, you'll be gain massive air time. With this in place, I aim to encourage players to mix things up but not harshly punish them for not trying new stuff

Lastly, I am happy to let you all know that there's an (early) demo out now :D https://aw0.itch.io/whiskers-and-wags

There's quite a few known glitches and improvements that I'm working really hard on. What you see in the demo is totally not how the final will end up being lol I hope you do enjoy it for what it is now, though! :D

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2019, 07:45:15 PM »

I love the fluidness of the movement. Looks great!

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2019, 08:21:39 PM »

I love the fluidness of the movement. Looks great!

Thank you! :D

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2020, 07:35:02 PM »

Hey, long time no see. Game is still comin' along. Lots has been added and adjusted, mechanically. Soon I'll be workin on assets for the first real location for the game. Here's a peek at the gameplay as of late.

As shown in the clips above, you can "surf" on enemies now lol It's pretty fun and has a lot of benefits. Will be explained later

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2020, 03:30:31 AM »

Been a while since I checked in here! Looking good. Kiss

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2020, 10:59:06 AM »

This is insanely stylish! I love all the animations and the style of the character.

One thing that comes to mind with this gif is that, since the whole room already fits vertically on screen, it'd be nice if the camera avoided moving up/down. It's a bit distracting that the bottom half of the room keeps going out of sight.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2020, 02:47:58 AM »

That's a good point!

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2020, 11:06:51 AM »

This is insanely stylish! I love all the animations and the style of the character.

One thing that comes to mind with this gif is that, since the whole room already fits vertically on screen, it'd be nice if the camera avoided moving up/down. It's a bit distracting that the bottom half of the room keeps going out of sight.

Thank you! I've been having a bit of trouble with camera lately (still trying to figure this out lol) but I'll definitely keep working to get camera behavior settled Smiley

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2020, 11:07:22 AM »

Been a while since I checked in here! Looking good. Kiss

Thanks for stopping by again! :D

linebyline
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2020, 11:32:32 AM »

Looks like the camera is locked on Twinkelen. What you probably want to do is only have the screen scroll if she moves outside of a buffer zone, at least on the vertical axis. There are tons of ways to do this. If you haven't seen it already, you'll want to check out Scroll Back: The Theory and Practice of Cameras in Side-Scrollers for tons of examples of how different side-scroller games handle their cameras.

Super Mario World, for instance, only scrolls the camera up or down when Mario touches the ground, unless he gets too close to the edge. I'm not sure that would work for Twinkelen, though, because she gets a lot of height by comboing off enemies and not just jumping off platforms. Maybe have the snap occur whenever she gets a combo that grants her another jump. (I forget, does she have a standard double-jump? If so, maybe snap to that as well.) Also, you'll want to make sure the camera catching up is sufficiently smooth. SMW's exact camera movement is probably too snappy for your game. You'll just have to experiment.

I can think of several simpler approaches, but they all have serious flaws, so I'll spare you the "You could...but then..." spiel.
velocirection
Level 2

Your favorite pizza raptor game developer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2020, 03:19:56 PM »

Hey another thing looking at this again, I really appreciate that the goal is to clean as opposed to kill enemies. Idk I love when games find non-violent ways of having combat(like in chex quest, you don't actually kill the baddies, you just teleport them somewhere else with your weapons but it still functionally a first person shooter)

https://twitter.com/velocirection
(WARNING- NSFW, 18+! Adults only!)
nova++
Level 4

Real life space alien (not fake)

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2020, 02:41:14 AM »

I've always liked the idea of  the camera having a specific "track" that it snaps to. It follows the player, but the focal point is always aligned with the track - which runs through the center of the playable area be it vertical or horizontal or anything in between. Pretty much just a set of lines, really. It can branch off and turn corners and what not, but, again, the camera never strays from it.

The downside to this is you have to make sure every area will fit on screen, so you can't have large open areas...

linebyline
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2020, 05:43:38 PM »

Sorry it took me so long, but I just played the two demos that I'd downloaded a while back.

When I played 2.5, my biggest problem was hitting the dust spawners on the ceilings. I also thought it was odd that you can charge attacks in midair but not while on the ground.

The 2.6851 version resolved the ceiling problem by making directional midair attacks a breeze to pull off. It wasn't as obvious that there were ways to charge attacks while standing; I did stumble across the feature, but it seems weird to me that I can only charge in certain directions. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet?

The larger, darker-colored rat enemy kicked my butt in 2.6851, too. It didn't feel unfair, though, just like I didn't have a solid enough grasp of the mechanics to be able to beat it yet. Just mashing the attack button and occasionally jumping out of the way won't cut it like it would for the lighter variants.

I noticed the dash in 2.5 and then promptly forgot all about it. I rediscovered it in 2.6851 and then discovered that downward dashing into the floor or another platform turned into that glide and man, that was awesome! I mean, I didn't play around with it yet long enough to learn how to do anything useful, but it was just fun to move around that way.

Overall, I like what I'm seeing. Keep up the good work!
Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2020, 12:54:28 PM »

Long time no see everyone! I'm back with some MAJOR progress! The game has been moving along throughout my silence and its come so far in every aspect.

Firstly, the levels actually look like houses now. Every place you clean will have its own vibe, unique assets and eventually gimmicks to go with it.

I've also spent a lot of time revamping a lot of sprites.

I've got a new demo coming really soon! Stay tuned for that

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2020, 05:01:09 AM »

How did I miss this thread until now? This looks like so much fun!
Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2020, 02:00:26 PM »

How did I miss this thread until now? This looks like so much fun!

Thank you :D

fall_ark
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2020, 10:38:14 PM »

Yeah looks super slick. Looking forward to new demo and more news Grin

Chinese localizer and influencer. Translated Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, The Count Lucanor, Katana Zero, Dicey Dungeons, and involved in the localization of Reigns, The Curious Expedition, Desktop Dungeons, etc.
If you have questions about Chinese loc and publishing etc., find me at Twitter @SoM_lo
Sp1ke
Level 0

Mike

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2020, 12:35:00 AM »

Very interesting take on cleaning. This b**p chore won't be tedious problem again  Wink

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2020, 01:48:06 PM »

Yeah looks super slick. Looking forward to new demo and more news Grin

Very interesting take on cleaning. This b**p chore won't be tedious problem again  Wink

Thanks y'all! Smiley I have sooo much to share soon.

zengsadi
Level 0

zengsadi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2020, 02:30:14 AM »

Grin So cute!

making a retro style puzzle platformer!
Twitter |Steam
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic