Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:09:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWhiskers & Wags - a plaformer "clean-em-up"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Whiskers & Wags - a plaformer "clean-em-up"  (Read 13303 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2020, 09:43:41 AM »

Welcome back! Coffee Continues to look amazing.

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2020, 04:20:05 PM »

Welcome back! Coffee Continues to look amazing.

Thank you Smiley glad to be back

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2020, 04:21:15 PM »

(still WIP but) finally... the most important feature is here...

(her idle stance is unanimated cuz im revamping it, she'll be lively again real soon)

linebyline
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2020, 08:08:49 AM »

Just played the SAGE demo. Here's the link for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

I'm playing with a controller, not keyboard. Not sure if that makes a difference. Very glad you have controller support even at this early stage, though.

First of all, as expected, Rote and Twinkelen's interaction is extremely cute. What confused me a bit is the X + up/down/left/right popup. At first, I was assuming I had to hold the d-pad, rather than just pressing it once, to get into the "interact with Rote" state. Once I figured that out, I was expecting four different animations based on the direction, something like the taunts in Super Smash Bros. (from Brawl onward). I guess I just don't see why I need to press X and a direction, if it doesn't matter which direction I hold and I need to start press the D-pad to start the interaction anyway.

On the other hand, obviously, it does matter how long you hold X because it affects the bonus you get and the ending animation. So you need something to encourage players to hold X instead of just tapping it.

I'm assuming that in the final game, Rote will appear in areas where there are enemies. That way, players will have to make a tradeoff: The longer you're distracted with kissing, the better the bonus, but also the longer you leave yourself vulnerable to getting attacked mid-smooch.

Incidentally, I really like Twinkelen's little meow emote when you hold down on the d-pad for a moment.

Moving on, I love the way a room lights up once you clear out all the enemies and dust. That bit of feedback makes it abundantly clear whether or not you've missed something, and it makes it feel really good to get that last dust bunny and light everything up.

In general, Twinkelen's moveset feels more polished than in the previous demo. My only quibbles are that she seems to fall a bit too fast for the fully charged aerial moves to be really usable in combat, and that I couldn't really make her use the slide move on surfaces because you have to hold down on the joystick, which is the same input that makes her hop down to the floor. Even with those issues, controlling her felt really good.

I really enjoy being able to combo enemies and finish them off with a fully charged move. I don't know what the style points end up being used for, but regardless, I appreciated them as a little pat on the back for playing better. They're not strictly needed for that, though, because the combos and fancy moves are fun on their own. You can absolutely just stand there and beat enemies (the weaker ones anyway) with your broom over and over again, but using a more varied move pool is both more effective and more fun.

I was excited to find that little hidden area in the upstairs room on the first level, but I think it might have a bug. Once I had gone through and cleaned everything, the level didn't end. The hidden area never lit up even though I couldn't find anything else to clean. On my second playthrough, I didn't manage to get that area to open up again; I couldn't figure out what triggered it. I was able to finish the level, though. I can't promise you that those two things are related, cum hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy and all that, but it's the only lead I have.

I think that about covers it for the time being. Overall I'm really impressed and excited. Keep up the good work!
Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2020, 08:38:40 AM »

Just played the SAGE demo. Here's the link for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

I'm playing with a controller, not keyboard. Not sure if that makes a difference. Very glad you have controller support even at this early stage, though.

First of all, as expected, Rote and Twinkelen's interaction is extremely cute. What confused me a bit is the X + up/down/left/right popup. At first, I was assuming I had to hold the d-pad, rather than just pressing it once, to get into the "interact with Rote" state. Once I figured that out, I was expecting four different animations based on the direction, something like the taunts in Super Smash Bros. (from Brawl onward). I guess I just don't see why I need to press X and a direction, if it doesn't matter which direction I hold and I need to start press the D-pad to start the interaction anyway.

On the other hand, obviously, it does matter how long you hold X because it affects the bonus you get and the ending animation. So you need something to encourage players to hold X instead of just tapping it.

I'm assuming that in the final game, Rote will appear in areas where there are enemies. That way, players will have to make a tradeoff: The longer you're distracted with kissing, the better the bonus, but also the longer you leave yourself vulnerable to getting attacked mid-smooch.

Incidentally, I really like Twinkelen's little meow emote when you hold down on the d-pad for a moment.

Moving on, I love the way a room lights up once you clear out all the enemies and dust. That bit of feedback makes it abundantly clear whether or not you've missed something, and it makes it feel really good to get that last dust bunny and light everything up.

In general, Twinkelen's moveset feels more polished than in the previous demo. My only quibbles are that she seems to fall a bit too fast for the fully charged aerial moves to be really usable in combat, and that I couldn't really make her use the slide move on surfaces because you have to hold down on the joystick, which is the same input that makes her hop down to the floor. Even with those issues, controlling her felt really good.

I really enjoy being able to combo enemies and finish them off with a fully charged move. I don't know what the style points end up being used for, but regardless, I appreciated them as a little pat on the back for playing better. They're not strictly needed for that, though, because the combos and fancy moves are fun on their own. You can absolutely just stand there and beat enemies (the weaker ones anyway) with your broom over and over again, but using a more varied move pool is both more effective and more fun.

I was excited to find that little hidden area in the upstairs room on the first level, but I think it might have a bug. Once I had gone through and cleaned everything, the level didn't end. The hidden area never lit up even though I couldn't find anything else to clean. On my second playthrough, I didn't manage to get that area to open up again; I couldn't figure out what triggered it. I was able to finish the level, though. I can't promise you that those two things are related, cum hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy and all that, but it's the only lead I have.

I think that about covers it for the time being. Overall I'm really impressed and excited. Keep up the good work!

Hey there! Thanks for playing :D Feedback has been noted, however I need to address some things. This demo was halfway rushed because I couldn't get all the rest of the planned stuff in before the event's deadline. (that's part of why I didn't advertise the demo here yet)

- There are alternate interaction animations with Rote, hold that direction and tap the button once you're in the hold state where the two are close (not all directional are implemented yet tho). As for explaining the benefits of hold/tap interactions, that will be explained in the tutorial (which couldn't make it in before the deadline ^^;) The romance system is still highly WIP right now, the upcoming patch will expand on what i've got so far, including Rote interactions during levels.

- As for sliding on objects, that's a different thing than grinding on objects, which requires either a dash-jump or downward dash to stick to the surface. Once you've actually started grinding, you don't need to be hold S/Down at all. As long as you have speed, she'll stick to the durface. (some surfaces are a bit buggy, will be fixed soon)

- As for finding the hidden areas, I won't spoil what triggers those haha But the level might not have cleared because of one or two particular objects not being obvious enough in terms of needing to clean it, I'll be sure to work on that.

linebyline
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2020, 09:59:02 AM »

OK, I'm not too surprised that there are some things I missed.  Facepalm I probably should have played around a bit more with I did, but I was in a bit of a hurry to look at it before work this morning. Sounds like you've got a good handle on it then.  Grin
Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2020, 12:02:54 PM »

So many changes, improvements and additions have been made over the past few weeks. Air control is feeling much better but most importantly.. you can go faster Smiley I'm embracing the speed again.

vdapps
Level 5

Head against wall since 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2020, 01:35:03 PM »

Soo, that's cute! Another platformer which hopefully I'll be able to play with my son on TV with controller. Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2020, 01:50:18 PM »

Very fitting that this game in particular should be so polished. Cheesy Looks absolutely amazing now. Kiss

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2020, 03:15:10 PM »

Soo, that's cute! Another platformer which hopefully I'll be able to play with my son on TV with controller. Smiley

Thanks man! :D Porting it to consoles someday would be awesome

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2020, 03:16:36 PM »

Very fitting that this game in particular should be so polished. Cheesy Looks absolutely amazing now. Kiss

haha thanks! Things are shapin' up  Smiley

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2020, 03:46:51 PM »

Thanks man! :D Porting it to consoles someday would be awesome

No need for console port. I have laptop connected to TV (as some sort of HTPC), Steam library, Xbox controller, works like charm. Wink

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2020, 10:31:11 PM »

No need for console port. I have laptop connected to TV (as some sort of HTPC), Steam library, Xbox controller, works like charm. Wink

Oh ok! lol lookin forward to putting out the first official release sometime. If not by the end of this year, at least early next year.

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2020, 10:30:39 AM »

Smiley

Nothin’ like a little early morning tidyin’ to warm up the muscles.

Using a duct-tape-ish method, the camera will follow the player once airborne and there is no ceiling above.

The enemy might be getting helplessly tossed around for now but all the baddies are getting new tricks as well :3c just wait and see

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2020, 05:34:17 PM »

Dust mouse can more reliably recover from damage when hitting the floor/wall.
Once he's got more moves, he's gonna be a lot tougher to sweep up. Cheesy

vdapps
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2020, 01:57:53 AM »

Dust mouse. So, that's mighty boss! Grin

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2020, 10:23:00 AM »

Dust mouse. So, that's mighty boss! Grin

And that one's only a sub-boss too Smiley Just wait till you see an actual boss enemy.

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2021, 09:56:19 PM »

Hey all! I'm still makin' progress. Most of it has been a lot of code rewriting (had to fix my lazily thrown together stuff eventually..  Lips Sealed ) Thankfully I'm close to being done with that! Here's how things are lookin' these days. I'll explain some new stuff in future posts but for now, enjoy the gifs Smiley

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2021, 07:41:53 AM »

Back at it again with more test room beatdowns lol The reason for it because I've been focused on fixing the game and tighening the controls/movement. Now that things are in a better place I can get back to level design soon.

Wall bounce combos are possible  Hand Metal Right

And here's the beginnings of a hyper speed ability (which makes it look like time has slowed down)
Soon there'll be player-affecting slow mo added to give some more oomph to certain moments. You'll see  Wink

Aw0
Level 0

ㅇㅅㅇ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2021, 09:35:10 AM »

Lots of new stuff in the works.  Smiley

- Grinding an enemy after getting to a certain combo count causes the enemy to drop some items - new hitsparks (still WIP)

- after a certain amount of hits, enemies disappear. When an enemy's hp reaches zero, hits afterwards take away from a secondary health pool. I didn't want to simply remove all overkill (cuz its fun) but I also like when enemies vanish when defeated so this is a compromise

- The broom now has a wind element attached to it. The little dust puffs it tosses out can clean objects and push enemies away. (charged attacks will have larger wind gusts. Still working on that)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic