Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 06:02:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignPurposefully bad design
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Purposefully bad design  (Read 1620 times)
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2019, 01:47:43 PM »

I played this weird interface game a few days ago https://userinyerface.com/ (play it if you haven't, it's pretty funny) And I thought about doing the same thing with games. That is, do things the "wrong way". I believe it should be a fun exercise in game design, since it forces you to think about what is the right way, and why is it right, what makes the wrong way wrong.

Of course, the lesson at the end of the day is that, unlike interface, there really isn't right and wrong in games or art in general. But it can still be fun. A platformer where the camera stays uncomfortably lagging behind the player and you can't see much further ahead. Then its jump profile is too high and is horizontally slower than normal movement speed.

I want to try that eventually. In the meantime, I'll open this topic for discussion  Coffee

nova++
Level 4

Real life space alien (not fake)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 05:32:06 PM »

that website is a war crime

I made it through in 5:04 though

Please apply this principle to game design.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 02:15:53 AM »

The most famous example of this is probably the resident evil series with its "tank controls" and "uncomfortable" camera (jarring fixed angles in the older games, over the shoulder cam in the newer ones).
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 06:13:52 AM »

The most famous example of this is probably the resident evil series with its "tank controls" and "uncomfortable" camera (jarring fixed angles in the older games, over the shoulder cam in the newer ones).

Good point! I think this first came up on Alone in the Dark. It was uncomfortable and it worked in favor of the game. It was tense, it made the player feel powerless. In later games they "fixed" it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic