Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:05:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsYou're the dragon | Roleplaying Simulation Game (Learning project)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: You're the dragon | Roleplaying Simulation Game (Learning project)  (Read 3804 times)
Narsiph
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2019, 12:42:43 PM »

Foreword

English is not my native language, so it can and probably will happend that you can't understand something. If that happens, please, just tell me and i am very happy to rephrase a paragraph.

Changes in the forum-post:
- Deleted all devlog Youtube videos (They are irrelevant)
- A much more clear aproach on what you're the dragon is

MOST IMPORTANT INFORMATION
This is a SPARE TIME LEARNING PROJECT and not a commercial project with a full fledged company. We are all learning different parts at our own pace yet as a team. There may be position offerings that are meant to be a learning-spot to learn skills you don't own (yet) within a safe and professional environment.

We can not offer any payment but we can offer at least help in various ways, foremost a team with a goal. If you except only paid internship or a spot as a freelancer with high hourly pay rate this is not what you're looking for. Again: We all learn skills that we did not have but wanted within our own free time. The game offers just the option to approach learning more professional than completely on your own.

At the end you still have to learn and motivate yourself since nobody of us will have enough experience to teach you a profession. Everyone of us will have various levels of experience in different fields and we help as much we can but you have to understand that you learn something within a team but still without a teacher as you're a teacher for yourself.

Engine:
- Godot
I switched from Unity to Godot first out of a necessity and now it's a morale choice as well.

The game genres:
- Roleplay
- Simulation

Game design philosophy:
- Less is more
- What do I like

Especially the 'what do I like' is important for me since it's very simple. To know what other may like is a book with seven seals. To know what oneself likes is relatively well known by most of us. That's how I approach game design. It's much better to attract similar/same taste than to gamble for a fail or a win.

Less is more is a very important philosophy for me within games. The more features I would put into a game the more mediocrity I would create and a chance to create bad mechanics is also given at some point in developement. Having a few good mechanics is much more important to myself.

Unique selling point:
- Dragon simulation
It's not about filling up bars for hunger, gold, water or other things. It's about the broad spectrum of a fantasy dragon's life. Especially to create your own new game+ if you manage to get a egg in one way or another. You can alter your reputation in a variety of ways (Examples include but not limited to: Murdering and pillaging, trading or quests for leaders)

Mechanics I definitively will have in the game:
- Hoard management (Building and/or extend your hoard)
Fill your hoard with riches of your personal liking. Not every dragon values the same things as the most precious in their hoard.
You get tools to setup defenses as well as possibilities to get allies of any form and/or any status as you will see fit.

- Survival (When survival needs to be active)
Survival will only pose a problem if you start to explore areas in which food and/or water is scarce. You can trust your skills, prepare for any journey or push your luck.

Team philosophy
We're being open with each other and common sense is very important to us all. We understand that critique is extremely important and thus we value each others point of views and work together to reach our personal goals

The Team
Narsiph (Game Design, Pixel Art & Programming)
Chains (Music Composer)
Chessfreak (IT & QA)

Discord: http://discord.donteatthedevs.com

Do you already know that you want to learn a specific skillset? You have the will and motivation to do it but you don't want to do it completely on your own? Apply for an open spot - no prior experience is needed and the pre-requisites are basic.

Pre-requisites:
- Speak and write understandable English (No hard accents since we're all just basic English speakers)
- Optional: Speak, write and/or understand German (We're all native German speakers)
- You know that you want to learn the skillset you're applying for
- Age of 18 or older

What we can offer:
- A safe environment
- Professionalism from everyone within the team
- Enough ressources to get you started on most if not any skill-set we're accepting applicants for.

Open positions for you to learn
- Marketing (Twitter & Instagram)
We can offer various English books for you to learn from. You get a connection to the needed don't eat the devs account via a team-account that you will create. You will setup you're the dragon as brand on social media to funnel potential interested people into the discord.

- Community Manager (Twitter, Instagram partially & Discord)
We can offer various English books for you to learn from. You'll get a connection to the needed don't eat the devs account via a team-account that you will create. Your main focus is to create a community around you're the dragon within our Discord.

- Godot Programmer for you're the dragon
Since I, Narsiph, learn mostly by doing it and looking up tutorials I can at least guide you in some ways and even teach you various techniques. Currently I am within the intermediate level of programming.

- Reservation: Pixel Artist
You get Aseprite one of the best tools to create pixel art as well as animations. Since I, Narsiph, learn mostly from tutorials I can offer you some guidance to good tutorials that helped me develope my own pixel art skills. You can either use the color palette I use, create your own or use a pre-existing one.

Why 'reservation'? Well, I already create pixel art and you have to be very sure that you want to learn this skill set. If you're sure I will step back and you take the position and develope your own skills, art-style and techniques to be included in you're the dragon.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 04:42:37 PM by Narsiph » Logged
velocirection
Level 2

Your favorite pizza raptor game developer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 11:47:42 PM »

I've been a dinosaur all my life but now I can be a dragon!? Hell yeah~

https://twitter.com/velocirection
(WARNING- NSFW, 18+! Adults only!)
Narsiph
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 04:17:55 PM »

I've been a dinosaur all my life but now I can be a dragon!? Hell yeah~

I cannot respond with a Reaction but i can write:
Dinosaurs are cool! Dragons are cool too! So... Dragosaurs? Haha.

Stay crunchy.
LunaticDancer
Level 0

Unveil the curtains of sanity!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 04:45:18 AM »

I kinda hoped of "I of the Dragon" fan remake, but this still is an interesting thing to emerge.

Narsiph
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2019, 01:40:45 PM »

I kinda hoped of "I of the Dragon" fan remake, but this still is an interesting thing to emerge.

Hya.

Someone told me about 'I of the Dragon' some time ago and i actually bought it in last Steam Sale to test it. Its actually a quite nice game that looked interesting for me. But i am more of a simulation guy so i actually have to do one hehe.

Stay crunchy.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 12:38:19 PM »

I'm not the dragon but it's very kind of you to say so
Narsiph
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 12:21:11 PM »

I'm not the dragon but it's very kind of you to say so

But from now on you could be the dragon, at any time Smiley

Also, we have now a general Discord-Address:
http://discord.yourethedragon.com

Y'all stay crunchy.
WaywardEmcee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 05:22:48 PM »

Have you played Golden Treasure: The Great Green?

Follow me on the twitters: @WaywardEmcee.
WaywardEmcee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 02:43:28 AM »

Heyho.

Just, after that first rush, you read something like "Do you like apple or banana pie?" Like... great, if you're creating a apple and/or banana-pie simulator/shooter/baker. But for everything else its really downsetting. I dont say anyone gets depressed by it but its quite some kick in the guts feelingwise.

The reason why I asked about Golden Treasure, is because it has the same premise as your game and I was wondering if there was some cross-pollination in design choices, and if you were planning on making adjustments based on its successes and/or failures.

If you're just looking for game fans, this might not be the best place for that. Most of us are devs and are more interested in discussing the design and production process than participating in the fandom.

Follow me on the twitters: @WaywardEmcee.
Narsiph
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 11:38:12 PM »

The reason why I asked about Golden Treasure, is because it has the same premise as your game and I was wondering if there was some cross-pollination in design choices, and if you were planning on making adjustments based on its successes and/or failures.

Heyho.

Of course i learn from others mistakes and success. If i wont research i am setting myself up for failure or half-bakes processes of mechanics.

The game itself is more like a guided/storydriven point and click adventure with a way different approach on dragons as i am going to do. Music and art is beautiful but i am creating a simulation inspired by the dragons of the 'Dungeons & Dragons' franchise.

Also, you could learn to form better questions. "Have you played" is under no circumstances the equivalent to "What do you think/do you plan to". Maybe just properly ask instead of just throwing in a one liner where the meaning of it could be merely anything but exactly what it is 'Did you play' and nothing else.

Drawing inspirations from genres and games alike is important but if there are 200 dragon games, from which i know a handfull, is enough to create something i want to see in the future. Would i only do research, i would fail to create. Would i only create, i would fail to present something anywhere near what i want.

Planning, researching, learning and creating do have to be in harmony.

If you want to know exactly what i think of the game you mentioned, you could ask me at any given time, but i would prefer it over private messages and not within a devvlog thread. I do not like to discuss in here as there are other places to do so. Discord and private messages are an example to that.

I personally prefer a clean forum-thread where you only find what you supposed to find in it. You may probably have a different understanding, a different view and/or a total different approach to this but i hope to hear from you not again within this thread but in messages over discord and/or forum-messages and for that i would be thankful.

Have a great time, stay awesome and crunchy.
morgothpsilos
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 03:44:35 AM »

I can't wait to be a dragon! :D

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left
Narsiph
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 05:41:37 AM »

Hello y'all.

Sadly I am (again!) very sick and thus lacking the necessary concentration to program. I am in no shape to work currently and I cant tell what is happening. There will be no DevVlog as long this state is holding on and I cant tell how long it will last.

If something new happens I will inform you as soon as possible.

Still, there is something waiting for you all for dezember and i release the news around that midst november. Promise: It will be worth!

Have a great time and stay super awesome as well as sick-free.
Narsiph
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2022, 12:30:50 PM »

Hello there!

There was so much going on in life and all so there wasn't any update on anything here. Most stuff was just very private stuff that I, at max, give out as information on our Discord. But that should not be the main topic here. The topic is: You're the dragon.

The project took a few turns until I was good enough in various tasks (Game design, programming, pixel art and work-life-balance) so here are some major updates:

Images are right there:
https://imgur.com/a/OvGxAHa

One of the biggest changes is the change to Godot. First it was a necessity and now its a morale choice for me too. I don't support Unity anymore and I will stay with Godot.

YTD runs now on a turn based system of 1-day actions (There is logic behind this decision other than just to simplify things).

Movement is now set and done (4-way system. Up, down, left, right)

Survival is only important when you're out exploring in environments that aren't providing enough food and/or drinkable water for you.

That's all for now! And remember: Don't eat the devs!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 10:46:58 AM by Narsiph » Logged
Narsiph
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2022, 05:13:58 PM »

Another small update:
- Hoard exists
A hoard is one of the main espect of the game and now it exists.

- Digging
Within your hoard you can dig to create tunnels, rooms and/or mazes completely as you please.

For the future the must haves are:
- Place objects
Every object that can be placed is something you can place within your hoard as you please.

- Defending
One day you must defend your home and you will have enough tools at hand to either slow down the foolish ones that enter your domain or to end their misery that they call life. There will, of course, be the option to capture those as well. Again: As you please.

Don't forget you can join the discord right here at discord.donteatthedevs.com and if you're interested in this project and want to learn something, page 1 post 1 is the right place to look.

Currently I only post small video snippets on Discord but I am thinking about a Youtube channel to create a bit more determined devlogs. We'll see. I don't wanna overburden myself again ^^

Don't eat the devs.
Narsiph
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2022, 05:31:40 PM »

Hey y'all.

With this update we're looking towards our first prototype soon being put into existence. Here's what has changed and/or was added:

- Save & Load
Predictably a must have for most games and so did I implement it too. It saves most stuff that needs to be saved currently including the hoard you're building.

- Main Menu, Options & Character Editor
This exists as "quick and dirty" function. Buttons that need to be there are there, that's all. Doesn't have to look nice but functional firstly.

- Music
Nobody will have to play an all silent prototype so we put in our awesome YTD-Theme. Don't worry: If you don't like music you can quieten it down (or mute it).

There is still a good amount of work left before I can do a prototype-release so I can only say: When it's done the download will be in Discord. It's basically just making sure all the functions run well with each other that's needed in/around combat.

So, don't be shy, come by: discord.donteatthedevs.com

Oh and... don't eat the devs. Please.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic