Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:16:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEDF 5 out on PC so get your body ready
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: EDF 5 out on PC so get your body ready  (Read 2760 times)
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2019, 05:11:46 PM »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1007040/EARTH_DEFENSE_FORCE_5/

Only those with a heart filled to the brim with Great Justice® and a powerful voice full of BLOCK CAPITALS can defeat the alien invasion scheduled for this week but everyone else is welcome to tag along. You'll build some character, maybe meet your wife. No idea of price yet Okay it's a lot, Sub-$30 it ain't, but there's a launch day 20% off which softens the blow a little and you can be sure that it's worth every cent.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:34:39 PM by Türbo Bröther » Logged
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 12:29:43 AM »

is this one of the good ones?
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 04:23:12 PM »

All the videos that I've seen point to yes.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 11:26:28 PM »

i had 2017 on the x box kind of computer but apparently there's been a lot since then and people fight to the death over which ones are real
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 12:00:10 AM »

The Fans™ didn't really like Insect Armageddon, like, not in the slightest. That's the biggest let's forget that ever happened moment in the series. There were a couple other spinoffs which I can't comment on since I avoided those too oh, and Iron Rain which they farmed off to Yukes which might be an indicator of its quality. Who knows if that'll ever come to PC. People were iffy about 2017 too since it didn't have The Best Character from the previous game but I thought it was cool. Finally, an EDF with a framerate that wasn't like a strobe at a rave party. EDF 2/GDF is considered a high point as is EDF 4.1 and I suppose this one too which I'll have impression on later tonight since it just dropped and I've got to reorganise my time.

EDIT: So far, being twenty missions in which is about three hours playtime, I've found that it's an improvement on the stuff that made EDF 4.1 great: the player classes (Ranger can now book it, Wing Diver can dash which keeps her in the air longer without burning energy, Air Raider gets a zoomed out view for deploying air strikes which makes it a doddle to direct them right where you want and Fencer, um, well he'll get here eventually if we all stand still), all classes being able to heal squad mates not just Ranger (that's really nice), oh hey, you can now farm armour and weapon pickups for all classes just by sticking to your favourite and you can increase your gather range by running or dashing which are both colossal improvements but now you have to farm weapon levels so it's just changing one thing for another and the script is even more incredulous with lots of ridiculous dialogue that's eminently quotable.

But they haven't really touched the stuff that wasn't so great like the physics glitches, the occasional fps stuttering, the squad mates that won't stay out of your firing line what in God's name is wrong with you bastards? I have a gun with extreme explosions and you got in the way. Why would you go and do that? Ack. And I'll bet there's going to be some absolute bullshit missions later on, because hey, it wouldn't be EDF if it didn't have its handful of absolute bullshit missions.

It's also super fucking violent with pieces of meat being blasted off enemies and all the dismemberment and junk.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 05:15:43 AM by Türbo Bröther » Logged
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 12:06:10 AM »

I have to say this is probably the high point of the series, mainline series anyway, and not because of the increased challenge (4.1 is like easy mode compared to this) but for reasons that you're going to have to swallow whatever sixty eight buckaroos is in your currency to find out for yourself. Maybe it's cheaper on the PS4 Type Of Computer but I couldn't imagine playing this without a keyboard and mouse.
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 12:24:59 AM »

How to say this without spoilers...

One of the bosses in this game is very similar to one from a certain cult shoot em up on a certain cult SEGA console. This should excite those of you who are In the Know. Speaking for myself, I don't think that there's been a point in this game where I haven't been excited about anything so this is just like icing.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 03:50:08 AM »

How to say this without spoilers...

One of the bosses in this game is very similar to one from a certain cult shoot em up on a certain cult SEGA console. This should excite those of you who are In the Know. Speaking for myself, I don't think that there's been a point in this game where I haven't been excited about anything so this is just like icing.
please put this in spoiler black text for me, i simply must know
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 08:21:07 PM »

It's totally Radiant Silvergun's last boss. It's a giant space geezer who comes out of a space egg/space diamond, he's got the somersault kick and whilst he doesn't shoot loadsa bullets at you he does summon meteors which could have happened in Silvergun. He also summons smaller space dudes which is something else that could've happened in Silvergun, maybe it got left on the cutting room floor. Anyway, it's close enough.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 01:05:50 AM »

that kicks ass
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic