Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:18:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMorterra - Browser Survival Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Morterra - Browser Survival Game  (Read 2209 times)
Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2019, 10:37:18 AM »

Hey everyone,

A friend and I have been working on a 3D version of our broswer survival game Morterra, and it's finally live and in a stable place for play-testing. It requires no download, or registration.

Here is the link to the game: https://morterra.com

The premise of the game is that you spawn into the wilderness naked, and must compete with other players for resources to survive. The entire world is hostile, so you can kill or be killed anywhere. You must mine for ore to craft tools and armor, and chop down trees for logs to build a base to protect yourself. When you log off, your player doesn't disappear from the game, but instead is sleeping on the ground.

Here are some in-game screenshots:

Here are some features that currently exist that are pretty cool:
- A spherical world
- Horses & riding
- Bows/arrows
- Self-rejuvenating environment
- Fishing
- Zone claiming
- Base building
- Door/chest locks/keys

Here are some features we will be adding in the near future:
- Voice Chat
- Foundry
   A furnace-like object that will melt your metals and store them. It will produce advanced alloy metals that will be stronger and lighter. Will be useful in adding end-game content.
- Metal building supplies
   Currently wood is the only resources used for base building. We would like to expand it to metals for improved but more expensive building.
- Fire/Explosive raiding
   Currently raiding consists of beating down log spikes with hatchets. We would like to move towards a resource based approach to raiding to improve end-game content.
- Bounty Board
   A board that players can create in their base that will allow them to place and receive bountys for killing "bad" players. Will likely include a map you can pay to see the coordinates of the player.
- Improved farming
   We would like for players to put effort into growing crops in their base, with more benefits than just hunger. For example, coffee beans could be rare and improve your fatigue.
- Account registration
- Vastly improved highscores
   Real statistics that will help quantify the best player. We want to eventually have a seasonal system with titles and accolades for good players (especially O.G. players), but this will require accounts and actual quantifiable stats from the highscores.
- A true 3rd dimension/gravity
   The game engine is still the 2D backend. Players can't jump, and arrows don't drop. We will be adding the third dimension in the future.

These are just the near-future updates, probably will be released with/before the Beta version. We have plenty of more ideas in mind beyond these, but these are some ideas at the top of our list.

We are extremely excited to share this with all of you, and can't wait to hear your feedback. Let us know what you think!
jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 05:48:42 PM »

Hey Morterra,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 11:22:11 AM »

Wow! I'm just now seeing this! Thank you so much for not only checking the game out, but giving us such thorough feedback - it really helps us a ton watching your perspective of the game starting off. We realize the game was laggy at that point in time. We have made significant optimizations to the rendering and so you should be able to play it now with little/no lag. We are improving the lag every day. Our goal is to have the game playing efficiently for basically any modern computer regardless of GPU - your laptop wasn't the issue.

We also loved seeing your interaction starting off, and we plan on adding looting/stealing from sleeping players, and also we are working on creating some form of tutorial for players so they can know how to get tools right away.

If you get a chance, check out the game now, it should be a bit less laggy and the UI has improved a ton since you tried!

Here's a screenshot of our new UI update:
Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 12:16:03 PM »

We have updated Morterra raiding! Now players must gather sulfur, and craft gunpowder or nitroglycerin to create bombs & dynamite for raiding. Players can craft explosives on an alchemy table, with the required resources. Here's a quick video of dynamite being put to good use!

The real best use would be to place the dynamite close to an enemies base, and the explosion will blow open the side of the base so that you can enter and gather all of the loot.
There were quite a few more changes to Morterra:
  • Day & Night Cycle
  • New Item Sprite Graphics
  • Added Shadows
  • Increased Map Size
  • Kilns (to craft glass, clay items, and charcoal)
  • Alchemy Table (to craft explosives)
We also fixed a few bugs:
  • Fixed "No socket connection"
  • Fixed Help & About pages
  • Tweaked log durabilities
  • Fixed foundry decaying
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 03:43:52 AM »

Gave it a shot, managed to create a few different things like spear and fishing rod but failed to find out how to equip anything. It does say left-click, but when nothing happens... I'm lost. I managed to pick up, craft, eat and drink, but that was about it. A lot of the on-screen text is tiny and there is very little that helps the player.

Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 07:10:42 PM »

Gave it a shot, managed to create a few different things like spear and fishing rod but failed to find out how to equip anything. It does say left-click, but when nothing happens... I'm lost. I managed to pick up, craft, eat and drink, but that was about it. A lot of the on-screen text is tiny and there is very little that helps the player.

Hey, sorry for the late response! Thank you for trying out Morterra, and also for the great feedback. We've recently added a tutorial to the game (along with many other features). Please feel free to check it back out and see if it's a bit more self-explanatory now! Thanks again!
Morterra
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 07:59:09 PM »

Hey guys, so I finally made a DevLog!

Check it out: Morterra DevLog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic