Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:31:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsGMTK Game Jam 2019 (Aug 2-4) [ONLY ONE]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: GMTK Game Jam 2019 (Aug 2-4) [ONLY ONE]  (Read 10025 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2019, 11:42:39 AM »

Hey! Now that Ludum Dare has been reduced to twice a year, I've decided to make GMTK my replacement jam in the middle, providing it doesn't clash with LD dates, and this year it sits nicely at the beginning of August, a good two months ahead of the next LD!

This jam is tied to the YouTube channel Game Maker's Toolkit by Mark Brown, which is all about game design, and the jam (third one so far) is always based around the subject of one of his videos. In 2018 the challenge was to work within an established genre robbed of one of its core mechanics, and in 2017 one had to come up with a dual purpose mechanic.

From the start this jam, thanks to the channel it's associated with, has had a lot of traction, and so along with its size, the duration and theming are very similar to LD, making it a perfect replacement for the missing third LD of the year IMO!

The world is scary, so of course as I was writing this up, I noticed I had received a YouTube notification about a fresh video covering the details having just been uploaded, so here's Mark Brown himself filling you in on the rest!

« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 11:04:58 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 02:31:34 AM »

None of you LD regulars doing this? Sad

Hik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 01:54:56 PM »

I'm new on here and haven't joined a jam like that before, but I'm considering joining.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 01:29:27 AM »

Good luck to you if you do! c:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 11:05:19 AM »

Theme announced!

"ONLY ONE"

Hik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 12:45:57 PM »

I'm in this
Making an arcade game
Doing pretty well so far
------------------------
Edit: Okay I finished making it,
you can look through the entries
or my itch.io page if interested

I had some issues getting it to
work in the browser so its just
a downloadable.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 10:06:20 AM by Hik » Logged
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 11:57:03 AM »

Almost failed to submit as the servers were overloaded and I had only minutes left, but I did it! Coffee

https://prinsessa.itch.io/swingin-in-the-rain

I had web build troubles too, so none tonight at least. Will keep trying to fix it tomorrow.

jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 12:13:09 PM »

Ludum Dare 44: 2538 entries.

GMTK Jam #3: 2700 entries and counting...

Smiley

Glad we posted ours a couple hours before the deadline. I was wondering how itch.io was going to hold up.

--Josh
Hik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »

Almost failed to submit as the servers were overloaded and I had only minutes left, but I did it! Coffee

https://prinsessa.itch.io/swingin-in-the-rain

I had web build troubles too, so none tonight at least. Will keep trying to fix it tomorrow.
The time was extended a few times, due to technical issues with itch.io apparently

I downloaded your game and gave it a try, it felt a bit unintuitive, maybe you could explain
the gameplay better and tell how it fits the "only one" theme? Maybe you just didn't type it yet

Ludum Dare 44: 2538 entries.

GMTK Jam #3: 2700 entries and counting...

Smiley

Glad we posted ours a couple hours before the deadline. I was wondering how itch.io was going to hold up.

--Josh

Yeah, I had a game idea for a while and decided to go with it for this and keep it simple
as its my first real game jam. So I managed to finish the whole game in only one day,
but then spent some time fixing bugs and polishing the game mechanics a bit
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 12:26:24 PM »

You have only one second to see at a time, when the lightning strikes and illuminates the woods. Tongue

Hik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 01:17:34 PM »

You have only one second to see at a time, when the lightning strikes and illuminates the woods. Tongue
And one needs to hold spacebar to be able to aim/look around? Okay
(I didn't figure that out at first)
jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 05:45:03 PM »

I downloaded Swinging in the Rain and Polypuss to play after I get some sleep.

We made Filament, where you move along a curvy line (one axis of control) and dodge physics-y obstacles. Not terribly original, but I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I think the controls feel pretty solid. The levels are kind of a random collection, since the two of us (mostly Philippe) just threw together whatever ideas we could think of. But I think there's some fun stuff in there, and we made it so you can page through and skip the ones you don't like.

--Josh
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 03:23:04 AM »

Thank you! I'll be playing yours in the week too. Fighting with my web build again today. x:

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 02:53:56 AM »

Gave up on my web build. Played yours, jgrams! Will play yours later as I'm on a Mac on right now, Hik, but I'll get around to it before the rating period is over. c:

Hik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 08:46:04 AM »

My game is really challenging, I made an easier version
but couldn't upload it on there yet so I'm holding off on that

The highest score I've gotten on my game was like 200, I wonder if anyone can beat that.
Because the game is so simple and so difficult to play, it hasn't been too popular it seems.

This is what the gameplay looks like;

It was ranked as #1337 in overall rank and #665 for originality
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 03:01:05 PM by Hik » Logged
jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 04:01:41 AM »

So right about halfway overall and top quarter for originality? That's not too bad.

We ended up at #607 overall, which I'm very happy with (#526/#559 originality/design).

You should post again when you upload the easier build: I want to try that.

--Josh
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 02:22:59 PM »

#528 for design was the best I got. Overall a very average average of ~3.5 in each category. Tongue I'm happy with that!

Good job to us all!

Hik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2019, 02:13:36 PM »

So right about halfway overall and top quarter for originality? That's not too bad.

We ended up at #607 overall, which I'm very happy with (#526/#559 originality/design).

You should post again when you upload the easier build: I want to try that.

--Josh
I had a temperature and was out of it for some days, but I've uploaded the easy version now.
The good dots in the easy version will heal the center and it displays a message at start.

I'm back at working on my main game and Polypuss might eventually be integrated into the
main game as a minigame, but I'll mostly be working on my main game project from now on.
jgrams
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 06:03:26 AM »

I had a temperature and was out of it for some days, but I've uploaded the easy version now.
The good dots in the easy version will heal the center and it displays a message at start.

Ah that's much more manageable.

I'm back at working on my main game and Polypuss might eventually be integrated into the
main game as a minigame, but I'll mostly be working on my main game project from now on.

Yeah, part of the appeal of a game jam project is you can be done with it when the time period is up.

You've probably already seen that

is up...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic