Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:15:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOvermatter - Tile-Based Puzzles using Negative Space
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Overmatter - Tile-Based Puzzles using Negative Space  (Read 569 times)
richterrodrigo
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »

Overmatter

Hello, I'm developing a 2D tile-based puzzle game set in an energy generation facility.

Setup

The OM Energy Corporation has developed a revolutionary technology that allows matter to ocupy the same space. This can be the next energy revolution. During tests, the main energy reactor has suffered a catastrophic failure, resulting in material instability inside the facility. Your job is to enter the site and disable the reactor in time. You have to solve puzzles using this special matter-bending technology in order to reach the energy reactor site.

That's the setup I'm coming up with right now, and might change it going forward.

Goals

I'm focusing on creating mildly-hard but very fun puzzles to solve. The gameplay is based on tile-based movement and interactions occurs only by stepping on specific tiles, no inventory, extra buttons and actions needed. A huge challenge is building good mechanics and making good and engaging puzzles, so I will be focusing a lot of my efforts on that. For the theme, I want to create a sense of urgency in the face of an imminent catastrophe, with a slight futuristic/sci-fi setting. Like how would it be a nuclear disaster, but 50 years from now.

Tech

I`m using Unity for this game, since I`m familiar with it and allows me to spend little time on things that don`t matter. I expect the technical challenges to be ok and the progress has been good so far. The implementation of ideas has been fast and efficient using Unity so far. The art is all grayscale 16x16, and even with this limitation, it has not been so easy to build the art, since I`m not trained at all in art. I'm developing every aspect of the game, but also trying to find expert minds for advice on puzzle building, story, art and music. Feedback is also much appreciated, as I need to do much more testing for the levels.

Devlog

I`ve never done a devlog, but I will keep this lively and consistent as I develop new things to show. I`m developing this game on my free time, so development won`t progress perfectly smoothly, but it will progress. My intent is to release this game before the end of the year but I can't predict it very well because it is my first full-blown project intended to be marketed and commercialized. I will try to put as many images and builds as possible over the next weeks.

I would absolutely love if you check out the latest build, play it and leave some feedback here!

Download at itch.io: https://rodrigorichter.itch.io/overmatter
Twitter: https://twitter.com/rodrigorichter_
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:57:45 AM by richterrodrigo » Logged
richterrodrigo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 11:30:50 AM »

Right now experimenting with new mechanics that leverage the alternating between black and white thing-y.

I implemented this button that shifts the game in a line. It adds some interesting properties since the columns or rows being shifted overlaps any previous shifting. There can be some puzzles involving pressing the buttons in the correct order, creating the equivalent of gates that open and close.

A problem I'm encountering a lot is that the mechanics don't interact very much with one another. Because if you press the lever that shifts the whole game and then presses the button to shift a line, nothing effectively changed. You can't go anywhere new you coudn't before. I think it is needed objects that could be moved, so it would create many more possibilities of interaction. I'm trying to avoid that because I don't want it to be a sokoban-like game. Maybe just introducing more and more mechanics will solve this problem, but I'm still not sure.

Enemies!

I added this simple enemy that goes up or down and turns back when it can't continue forward. It moves 1 square every time you move. I think there can be some interesting puzzles by moving some walls and letting the enemy go through some place, so it steps on a button that you need to press, but is out of reach. Seems very promising.

New build

Link: https://rodrigorichter.itch.io/overmatter
I updated the build and there is a mac version too. I don't have a mac so let me know if its working fine for you. I made a couple of scripts to automate compiling and publishing the game on itch io so I expect frequent builds to be avaliable in the future
richterrodrigo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 10:47:40 AM »

JUICE!

Right now I'm working on adding some animations, fixing issues with art cohesion and of course, addind some juice. I made some improvements on the puzzles, but I still feel its lacking mechanics and variety. I added an ending message, and improved some UI stuff. Im trying to get close to a working demo/vertical slice thats playable and works fine.

Next steps will be create more interesting puzzles and then fix up a bit of the setup and story. I want to focus more on the mechanics and let the story be more of a background theme, instead of having a complicated arc with dialogue.

New build

You can download this latest build at https://rodrigorichter.itch.io/overmatter
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic