Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411861 Posts in 69424 Topics- by 58469 Members - Latest Member: AuroraMaster

June 03, 2024, 05:48:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioKorg DS-10
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Korg DS-10  (Read 4789 times)
Kekskiller
« on: June 22, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »

Anyone heard of it? The Korg DS-10 is a synthesizer for the Nintendo DS, a reincarnation of the Korg MS-10, I guess... Even if you're not into synthesizers and/or synthesizing, check out these two vids:

Korg DS-10 review
live performance with DS-10s only

It's really impressive what the little box can do - plus touchscreen control, perfect mobility, a nice chiptuney sound... It's not limited the lofi stuff, you can actually do a lot of nice modulations, effects, etc... I don't know how the saving of songs will work (live recording? memory slots?).

What do you think about it? For me, it's sequencing to go!
I ordered one - deadline ends on July 1, 2009. I'm so damn excited  Hand Shake LeftGrin:handshakeR:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 10:51:36 AM by Kekskiller » Logged
pgil
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 11:33:16 AM »

I've heard of it, and it's a really cool idea. If I had a DS (..and money, and no loans to pay off  Sad ) I'd try it out.
Mr Dumle
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 01:12:05 PM »

I have used it for quite some time now but I stopped recently since it really wasn't my thing. I mean you really have to be into the kind of music that you can do with it. 4 drum tracks and 2 normal ones just isn't enough for me. But I learned a great deal about how synthesizers work though and it (mostly) sounds great. 

Kekskiller
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 02:45:16 PM »

Yeah, it's more useful for sequence-based music like techno, idm or simple trance. But you can do a lot with it if you know how synthesizers work, how you can "cheat" them to have the right sound, how to create the illusion of multiple melodies, modulation, etc... Everyone experimenting with MOD trackers and chiptunes in general will probably know how to add hihat lines with white noise without breaking melody or other elements - it's the same with track-limited synth environments (like the DS-10).

6 tracks can do a lot if you know how... You can also record and mix them if you really need more tracks. More expensive: using multiple DS-10 Shocked (like in the video above)

Another thing I like is how volume and pitch adjustment works. It's grid-based, 8/16/whatever possible states for note volume/pitch. Using automation channels in FL Studio always made my feel like a total looser while aimlessly editing those smooth and floating point-based automation channels. You know, it's kinda complicated to get a harmonic curve shape WITHOUT the pro version Lips Sealed . Thanks to Korg for this simple and limited environment Smiley .
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:11:39 PM »

I think these are some of the better DS-10 demos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0vA1NveCzc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk-Pt9qoNHo

Gamestop claims that the local stores have them in stock, I'll have to check it out.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:53:07 PM by Markham » Logged

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 07:20:27 PM »

I have it, and I'm also not sure it's my thing. So far haven't managed to make anything neat with it, but I'm not into dance, so I guess that's why. It's kind of feels limited to that style.

Havok
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 03:22:04 PM »

Oh man...I just decided to give this thread a look and now I've gotta have a copy! This song sold me:

Actually the idea that most intrigues me is using the DS-10 in conjunction with a miniKP and a Kaossilator both from Korg. It basically would be a live rig that could fit in your pockets. Very cool. There are a few videos that show how it all works together and it entices me.

I love audio: Engineering, Sound Design, Composition
Biggerfish
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 07:11:22 PM »

ive used it to make some noise before (even hooked up my ds to my amp for extra crunch) and its quite a beast, you can get some really sweet sounds out of it.

I havent tried to compose anything with it because I have had hardly any experience with limited channels, althought the synth is really nice and versatile.
Kekskiller
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 12:03:29 AM »

Gaaaah, I'm still waiting. Shitty deliverer. If I don't get my Korg the week I'll have to buy it manually.

Cry
Chronofrost
Level 0

Master of Time

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 06:36:37 PM »

Woah. I told my mom about this the other day, and she surprised me by bringing it home today. Apparently it was the last copy at a nearby Gamestop. Awesome.

I got comfortable with it over the past hour and made a really short song, which I may consider posting sometime if I can figure out where to host it.

Once the novelty wears out, I don't expect to use this thing a whole lot around the house, since I can really do the same stuff on the PC. It'll be great if I ever leave the house, though.
Havok
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 07:08:22 PM »

It'll be great if I ever leave the house, though.

That's the appeal for me. And the novelty. Of course I won't use it in place of my actual studio and the tons of money I've sunk into it but it would be a blast on the go. Actually the limitations of the machine appeal to me also. Seems like it would be a fun challenge seeing what I could coax out of the machine.

Kunal
Level 1

is feeling Bit.Core.Trippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 07:16:37 PM »

Slightly offtopic, but does anyone know of similar software for the PC ?

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 07:41:15 PM »

Ooh, this could be what I was looking for. I've been after a simple synth/drum machine for the DS that I could use with live instruments/drums etc - not strictly dance/electronic music; more like a Le Tigre/Trans Am sort of thing.

Limited tracks is fine, so long as it's simple enough to sequence on the fly.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Havok
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 08:34:37 PM »

The DS-10 seems to be a compact package basically including a sequencer and subtractive synthesizer along with Korg's Kaoss pad. If you want to try this for free grab a copy of LMMS as a sequencer and Synth1 for the subtractive synth. Ignore the Kaoss pad.

I've never used LMMS but I've heard its decent. I'm more used to FLStudio and Cubase (they cost money). Synth1 is free and completely awesome and is a great full-featured subtractive synth. It just takes some learning to start pounding out your own sounds. I have a long way to go in that area. Keep in mind that this stuff has tons more features than the DS-10 would have and as such will take more time to learn.

Kekskiller
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 12:17:47 AM »

Ignore the Kaoss pad.
Oh, come on! Kaoss pad is awesome! You can do fucking awesome things with it.
Kunal
Level 1

is feeling Bit.Core.Trippy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 06:22:22 AM »

The DS-10 seems to be a compact package basically including a sequencer and subtractive synthesizer along with Korg's Kaoss pad. If you want to try this for free grab a copy of LMMS as a sequencer and Synth1 for the subtractive synth. Ignore the Kaoss pad.

I've never used LMMS but I've heard its decent. I'm more used to FLStudio and Cubase (they cost money). Synth1 is free and completely awesome and is a great full-featured subtractive synth. It just takes some learning to start pounding out your own sounds. I have a long way to go in that area. Keep in mind that this stuff has tons more features than the DS-10 would have and as such will take more time to learn.

Thanks. Will give it a try.

Havok
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 08:34:22 AM »

Ignore the Kaoss pad.
Oh, come on! Kaoss pad is awesome! You can do fucking awesome things with it.

I merely meant that to replicate that you would have to actually purchase one for $150 (miniKP). I'm not aware of any similar software that is free.

And yes, it is awesome.

Smiley

Biggerfish
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 10:40:13 PM »

I don't know if it'd work but you could always download the FL studio demo and rake out the Fruity X-Y Controller (whether you'd actually be able to use it outside of FL I have no idea), it's essentially the same thing.
Kekskiller
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 04:49:19 PM »

After approximately one month delay, my DS-10 arrived.

And this little box is even more awesome than I thought before. It's basically a very simple (not to say primitive) pattern sequencer. 18 song slots, 16 patterns for a song and max. 16 bars in a pattern. There are two freely adjustable synthesizers for leads, 4 drum synths of the same type with crippled ADSR envelope, but all 6 six synths are LFO patchable and whatever not. The 4 drum synths can have there own effect on each channel, a seperate fx unit can be applied to synth1, synth2, synth1+synth2, the drum part or everything. It's a bit tricky to add not-that-analogish-sounds, but can be done. The cool thing is: You can modify every drum channel for having multiple bass lines or acidish sounds. The two Kaoss pads are very cool, you can set values/variables for each axis. The pads also have different scales if necessary - like arabian or egypt which is imho a big plus (I prefer simplified scales). Every synth setting/preset can be saved/loaded independent from song file (30 slots if I remember correctly). So, there is enough memory to store a short videogame soundtrack.

The first real audio impression was pretty good - fat sound, good and clean quality. It's hard to make it sound bad. Editing patterns is nice but lacks comfort like shifting notes inside the pattern up/down/left/right. This can get improved. I also wonder why I can't copy my patterns with more comfort. It's stil a simple drum machine, the song mode just for making records and pre-structured tracks, I guess... The DS-10 is more a tool for experimentation/freestyle composition and/or live performances. It's possible to produce all songs by editing single notes (questionable because there are two Kaoss pads for live recording).

All in all a good and cheap analogue synth with limited editing comfort. If you're not into synthesizers, the DS-10 may be a bit annoying and/or disappointing. Geeky stuff! I love it!
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 05:20:34 PM »

Thanks for that excellent run-down. Definitely interested in checking it out now.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic