Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:07:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignCoin-like collectibles in my game, but why?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Coin-like collectibles in my game, but why?  (Read 1890 times)
Labbed
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2019, 12:37:56 PM »

I'm currently making a 2D platformer, and I feel like it could be nice to have some sort of coin-like collectible, to guide the player through the level and give them incentive to go certain places. Could also be something enemies drop when killed.

In Mario, and many other games, when you've collected 100 coins/bananas/whatever, you get an extra life. This is a good enough reason to collect them, and it's not the end of the world if you miss a few. However, in my game, I'm probably not gonna have extra lives. You can't get "game over".
I also don't want them to be currency for a shop, or just score.

But what could be the point of collecting them, then? Do you guys have any interesting ideas?

The purpose of Hadoukens is to block other Hadoukens.
LabChirp! | SASOD!
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 12:58:25 PM »

There'd be nothing wrong with having their sole purpose be for guidance. If you want them to be a primary incentive for going certain places, my first thought is to track them and show collection stats somewhere. Being able to see "20/20 coins collected" on a level select screen somewhere can be incentive enough for players who like collecting to go after them.

MoneySeize might be a useful source of inspiration: https://www.kongregate.com/games/YMM315/moneyseize

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 09:18:13 AM »

If you want them to have some additional purpose, you could perhaps have their collection unlock extras (such as concept art, or lore). Alternatively, you could have their collection unlock short-term powerups--revealing secret paths, or extra firepower, or something else appropriate to your game.

andyfromiowa
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 11:27:21 AM »

Maybe collecting enough coins opens a gate or changes something within the level? Then you would have more incentive to explore within the level - and a potential reward for finding everything.

Labbed
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 03:05:52 PM »

Yes, I might do something like that. Collect all the things to unlock something later on in the game. Though it would be nice if they could be useful more directly somehow, so the player is rewarded for collecting them, but shouldn't need to, to 100 % the game.

I haven't really figured out what kinds of special powers, if any, the player character could gain. Maybe I should worry about that first Tongue But yeah, these collectibles could increase the attack power, or something else like that.

LabChirp! | SASOD!
EmeraldPawn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 07:45:38 AM »

Does your player character have lives, or deal damage? If so, then you could heal after picking up a set amount, or gain a temporary damage boost.
Cheers!  Coffee

Currently working on: Strobophagia - Rave Horror
Labbed
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 05:05:16 AM »

Getting a heal when your life is already full is a little disappointing, so that could lead to players avoiding these pickups until they need the heal.
Temporary damage boost or special attack power could be a bit more useful, and encourage players to go find some enemies once it's activated. Might be too chaotic though.

LabChirp! | SASOD!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic