Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411412 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 10:19:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Mario makier style game - javascript + html5 a good choice?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mario makier style game - javascript + html5 a good choice?  (Read 898 times)
l0bster
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2019, 12:25:46 PM »

Hey guys Smiley
So recently i had the idea to make a game in the style of mario maker.
Basicly, i wanted to create a simple level maker, where you can play the level instantly on the click of a button and if things go well, add a database to upload and share levels.
At first, i thought of making it with game maker or unity, but it felt weird to programm this game in something, that is already a game-making tool - also: would that be even legal?
Therefore i switched to html5 + javascript for now. The reasoning for it was also, that it would be easier to handle the backend data, if i would run the game in the browser.
I made a small tile-based engine already, but i'm not sure if i should go on with it. I was looking up games that are made in javascript and barely found any examples of bigger projects.
Have you guys any experience with javascript game dev, especially for platformers and know which problems are associated with it? What about performance?
I know that a lot of performance can be handled by good code, but would i be better off with some other solution?
EmeraldPawn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »

I feel like Unitys Project Tiny could be something for you, since it's made for browser and instant games primarily. Making game engines from scratch is possible, sure, but there are a lot of resources out there from communities for the top game engines which will help when you get stuck. I personally know of a project that is a browser based level editing game service made in Unity, so they definitely allow for things like that. Where will you show your game?
Cheers! Coffee

Currently working on: Strobophagia - Rave Horror
l0bster
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 03:13:30 AM »

Thx for the reply. I actually continued with html5 and javascript. So far it worked out fine, and i don't have to care about any licensing issues or stuff like that.
It's still a long to way, to actually present it somewhere, but i'll probably create an own website for it. And i'll probably also open a devlog for it here Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic