Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:11:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallFirst game. How two years of development looks like.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: First game. How two years of development looks like.  (Read 412 times)
Qd
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2019, 04:25:49 AM »

Start

Two years ago, lying in my bed with a tablet, I was looking for some turn-based game similar to early Diablo versions, but I did not find anything that I could like, that was the first step to creating my own game. Two months later, I quit my full-time job as a programmer and development started. First prototype that I've made in a week, was like two sprites facing each other and throwing fireballs. Unfortunately or fortunately, it has not been preserved.

Development

Lots of code! Thousands lines of code! My favorite part of the development. During this period, I created a data editor and wrote all the necessary systems for the game. The game in this period looked rather sketchy: a green city with black-marked areas, and you can see red stripes on the character that mark the center of the sprite.

First difficulties

I had no problems with writing code, but I can’t draw. Based on my capabilities, I wanted to make pixel game, so I began to study pixel art. These were one of the most difficult weeks of all development. I went through all the stages of accepting the inevitable... It was all: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and at the stage of acceptance I realized that it was better to entrust this work to a professional. My friend recommended to me his friend who was a freelancer, I offered her to work with me and she agreed. The work was going measuredly, she painted, I animated. After about 3 months, the game has graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCFLwM5zsJA

Content

After the problem with the graphics was solved, I was able to calmly continue the work. The game was ready by my estimates at 90%, oh, how wrong I was! Content creation turned out to be the longest development period. I previously shared my method of creating skills, same method I used for all game data.

Early Access

Very exciting time, first reviews, first bug reports. While reading the first review, my hands was even shake a little. When you have the same game before your eyes for a year, you lose the possibility of its objective evaluation, you do not know it is good or bad. I was very worried about this, I was afraid to release a bad game, but in the first days game received positive feedback and I was finally able to relax a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPqJ7UAuwM4

End

There is still a lot of work to be done, game just released in an early access, it is not yet known how it will look in a year, but I hope one fine moment, I will turn on the tablet, lie down in bed and say: “Finally have something to play”.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:01:38 AM by b∀ kkusa » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic