Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1366183 Posts in 64017 Topics- by 55902 Members - Latest Member: BlueSoft Tech

September 18, 2019, 08:25:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralhelp with make new game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: help with make new game  (Read 255 times)
leewansoo
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2019, 10:22:56 PM »

Hi everybody, I'm a new game developer, I'm studying at the university. I want to make game 3D models and realistic textures. And now, i need to buy a new laptop, but i don't know how much processing power I need to MAKE one. Main reason is my budget doesn't have too much. Can you give me some suggestions?
fluffrabbit
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 12:51:56 AM »

Blender 2.8 apparently does not support all systems that are GL 3.3 compliant, only "new" ones without all of the driver bugs that plague the computers of the last few years. That said, you should be able to get by on a cheap netbook as long as you buy it new.

ThemsAllTook
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 08:20:07 AM »

You can make a game on basically any computer. Using something old for development can be a good thing, as it helps keep your system requirement expectations down. Unless your game design is somehow in the tiny niche that actually makes use of cutting edge processing power, you'll be totally fine with anything from the last 10 years or so.

fluffrabbit
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 08:38:00 AM »

Yeah, but he says he wants to make 3D models and realistic textures. Blender 2.8 is the go-to PBR authoring program, so even if the specs of the target system are lower, Blender will require new hardware. 2.79 should work fine, but it doesn't have PBR, so "realistic" goes out the window.

ThemsAllTook
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 01:08:19 PM »

Blender 2.8 just came out a few days ago, right? PBR has been in use for quite a while, so it's not as though anything that recent can be a hard requirement for it. You might get some extra convenience, and that might end up being worth a lot, but there are plenty of ways to accomplish the same thing without direct support from your tools.

Depending on how you define it, photorealism may also be a pretty lofty goal for a new game developer. There are a lot of basics to worry about first before you get there.

fluffrabbit
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 01:15:16 PM »

Speaking from experience, you can get pretty far with OpenGL once you have the basics down. I'm assuming OP has made games before. Also speaking from experience and also possibly making assumptions, simplified pipelines like PBR are a hell of a lot easier than trying to achieve realism the Half-Life way (photographic textures and pre-processing).

As for tools, I recently heard about Dust3D. Might be worth a try. Generally I say go with best practices. Don't fudge it with shitty textures and low-poly models unless you're going for that aesthetic.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 01:31:33 PM by fluffrabbit » Logged

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 03:15:09 PM »

You can do realistic models on any old pc, but stuff like substance painter may just not run. I guess average ue4 game or substance designer minimal requirements gonna be enough, but that may be more expensive laptops.
My 2017 $1000 descktop still roars when those fuckers launch. Laptop heats like crazy when rendering is involved,but maybe they make better ones now.
Karlipoppins
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 08:13:21 PM »

It's kinda hard to guess what OP is looking for as the description is a bit vague... The only recommendation I would make if you're aiming at a laptop is to prioritize the GPU above everything else in the price. It'll be the most important factor when doing 3d graphics (regardless of the tool Blender, Substance painter, etc.).

leewansoo what's your budget?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic