Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 11:53:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVorpmi Saga (demo available)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Vorpmi Saga (demo available)  (Read 2407 times)
essencescape
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2019, 08:35:19 AM »

Hello, fellow devs!

I have given myself the task to try one of those "game a week/month" concepts in order to hone design and implementation skills.
Although i won't be strictly sticking to finishing a game per week, surely i will try, instead i aim to come up with and integrate individual systems/mechanics every other day or so. And thus Vorpmi was born.

Vorpmi will be an educational journey through design and development, starting from 1bit game concepts, gradually adding layers. Starting by color palette limitation, dimensions, and mechanic amounts.

Inspiration for art and music will be drawn from game eras, daily life and brainstorm, meditation and nature.

Here's the bit from last week.

Movement, camera and animations for a storydriven 1bit dungeoncrawler. The idea for the story: occult alchemy teachings.

About the methodology
Figured a few ways of devising mechanics and explore design. (hope to make a blog about design later on)

Taking time daily to write down ideas for core game loops involving 1-3 mechanics, making design into a practice and sharpening the mind to become better with time.

Another concept is mechanic design based on level design, an approach i will try at some other point.  

Stick around, let me know your thoughts!

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 03:19:49 AM by essencescape » Logged

essencescape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 03:19:16 AM »

Pris

Fun little demo i managed to make in two days. Touch or spacebar to change the orb's angle, match the orb with a same colored rectangle.

feedback is appreciated, you can try the game here
https://www.construct.net/en/free-online-games/pris-8853/play
to do:
music and sfx
score counter
juice
spice up the mechanics

N.A.G.S.

Attempts on the shmup genre, will come back to this one soon enough!

dungeoncrawler
tried ellaborating the 1bit dungeoncrawler and managed a wonky walking ai, a bit broken at the moment.
also figured i would go for dice mechanics similar to dnd for combat Smiley

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:32:51 AM by essencescape » Logged

essencescape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 04:28:11 AM »

my first youtube dev vlog, hope to upload meaningful content and touch mindful topics.
check it out!

essencescape
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 09:54:45 AM »

A little update on Pris's level design.

Adding camera follow gives a total different feel, more dynamic. Spreading the squares around the layout might do for plenty of gameplay possibilities. I'm starting to brainstorm and imagine what cool stuff I might add.

Will be collaborating with a programmer to move the project to unity.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic