Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:08:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallWebLiero - Multiplayer online Liero clone
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: WebLiero - Multiplayer online Liero clone  (Read 1264 times)
basara
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2019, 09:57:21 AM »

What is it?
WebLiero is an online-multiplayer homage to the 1998 DOS game Liero.
Liero is a pixelated 2D arena shooter which plays a bit like Worms (if it were realtime) and Quake 3 Arena (if it were 2D).
The game is a classic among fans of split screen retro games and WebLiero tries to recreate its magic while adding online multiplayer capabilities.

Gameplay video

How to play
Go to https://www.webliero.com
Pick a nickname and a color
Join a room near your location or make a new room.

Controls
These are the default controls but you can change them in the game settings menu.

Move with the left and right arrow keys.
Aim with up and down arrow keys.
Shoot with D
Jump with S
Hold A to see your current weapon.
Change weapons with the arrow keys while holding A.
Shoot the ninja rope by jumping (S Key) while holding A.

About WebLiero development history
You could say that this project has been 15 years in development, and is also probably 15 years too late Tongue

In the distant past (about 15 years ago) I worked on another online multiplayer Liero clone called Gusanos.
This was my first video game project and, while it was well receieved by other fans of Liero at the time, the netcode was pretty bad.

Later on after much studying I polished my netcode skills and made an unrelated Flash game called HaxBall, which became quite popular.

In 2011 I started working on a Flash Liero clone that was using the same engine I made to power HaxBall, unfortunately I took too long to finish it and then Flash started showing signs that its days were counted so I cancelled the project.

I instead focused on remaking my engine for HTML5 in an effort to save HaxBall from its certain demise. I released the HTML5 version of HaxBall in 2017.

Using this new HTML5 engine I've now finally completed a multiplayer online Liero clone with netcode that I can be proud of.

Some final words
I'm not expecting this game to become as popular as HaxBall did, but to me, making a proper multiplayer online Liero clone has always felt like unfinished business and now I can finally be happy that I've achieved this long-time goal of mine.

It would be great however if this clone were to give Liero a new life.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 10:22:22 AM by basara » Logged
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 09:13:43 AM »

This look really neat! I have fond memories of Liero, and it might be fun to play a new online version. ^_^

Right now I don't see anyone online, but I might try again later. ^_^

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic