Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:39:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallMagic of Autumn - A conjured card game!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Magic of Autumn - A conjured card game!  (Read 690 times)
Zuurix
« on: August 17, 2019, 02:02:53 AM »

Magic of Autumn - A conjured card game!

A new game by Zuurix is now in active development!

Magic of Autumn is my CCG side project, it’s a simple singleplayer game.

You play as a mage on a quest to get your soul back. It is hidden in Golden Apple Island, it’s guarded by magical beings, runes, barriers, traps - and you’ll have to get through all of that.

Gameplay has two phases - exploration and combat.

During exploration, you look for new cards and battles while avoiding traps.

During combat, you use collected cards to defeat a deck controlled by an AI opponent. You have to combine your knowledge of the combat system and deckbuilding skill to win battles.

Each victory allows you to explore more of the Island - which leads to more cards and more battles.

Magic of Autumn’s core feature is conjuring: Every game object can be turned into a card. If you see something new that means you’ll get a new card!

Magic of Autumn began as a game for jam/competition in 2017. Since then I’ve been working on it inconsistently.

This autumn the game will be finished and released on Steam!

Stay in touch:

The news about the game will be posted on my Twitter account and other channels.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 09:15:05 AM »

Intriguing, in both concept and setting. ^_^

One thing strikes me: Unless the one has cards that draw further cards (like the "Ladder" card), one only seems to get one card per turn, and only starts with one card. Thus one seems to be very dependant on the draw of the next card, with little choice to be made save for "use what was drawn or don't use it". (Unless I'm missing a tactical option, of course!) Is that the intention--that it's very much a "luck of the draw" game?

The art-style looks interesting, to my eye--but I'll confess that it also looks a little rough to me.

Zuurix
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 03:40:55 AM »

One thing strikes me: Unless the one has cards that draw further cards (like the "Ladder" card), one only seems to get one card per turn, and only starts with one card. Thus one seems to be very dependant on the draw of the next card, with little choice to be made save for "use what was drawn or don't use it". (Unless I'm missing a tactical option, of course!) Is that the intention--that it's very much a "luck of the draw" game?

It's not intentional, just haven't got any feedback about combat until now, thanks =]

I'll try to change default card draw to 2 cards per turn and see how it goes.

The art-style looks interesting, to my eye--but I'll confess that it also looks a little rough to me.

Rough? In what sense?
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 11:18:32 AM »

It's not intentional, just haven't got any feedback about combat until now, thanks =]

It's my pleasure! ^_^

I'll try to change default card draw to 2 cards per turn and see how it goes.

That might work: with the player expending one card per turn, they should slowly accumulate cards. Another possibility might be to give the player a larger starting draw, and then only have one card be drawn thereafter.

The "draw two" approach does raise the question: is there a limit to how many cards a player can hold? And if so, what happens when it's reached? Are drawn cards discarded? Are no more cards drawn? Is the player required to discard previously-drawn cards to make space? Something else?

Rough? In what sense?
I think that some of it is that certain elements look a bit over-messy: the canopies of the red trees don't look much like leaves to me; there are places where pixels are scattered in a manner that seems--to my eye, at least--more haphazard than meaningful; the pattern used for what I imagine is water looks less fluid than I might expect. That sort of thing.

There's definitely some style here, I do think! I just feel like--again to my eye, at least; others may feel differently--there is space for some refinement in it.

Zuurix
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 11:29:04 PM »

That might work: with the player expending one card per turn, they should slowly accumulate cards. Another possibility might be to give the player a larger starting draw, and then only have one card be drawn thereafter.

The "draw two" approach does raise the question: is there a limit to how many cards a player can hold? And if so, what happens when it's reached? Are drawn cards discarded? Are no more cards drawn? Is the player required to discard previously-drawn cards to make space? Something else?

Draw two doesn't work, primarily because there's a two-card combination that would probably win every battle.
Don't want to change those cards before I exhaust every other option.

You can have maximum of 6 cards in hand. Any card draws are canceled if the hand is full.
In case you end up with a hand full of cards you can't play, the hand is moved to the deck and you draw 1 card after that.

I'm optimistic about the large starting hand, going to try that now.

I think that some of it is that certain elements look a bit over-messy: the canopies of the red trees don't look much like leaves to me; there are places where pixels are scattered in a manner that seems--to my eye, at least--more haphazard than meaningful; the pattern used for what I imagine is water looks less fluid than I might expect. That sort of thing.

There's definitely some style here, I do think! I just feel like--again to my eye, at least; others may feel differently--there is space for some refinement in it.

Oh, okay.

Not sure if I should make trees less messy, or everything else messier. The fuzziness is what makes it interesting. I need to think more about this.

I can also experiment with water a bit, after all, it's just a 64x64 image.
Don't know if I can/should make it look like actual water, but making suspension of disbelief easier would be nice =P
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »

Draw two doesn't work, primarily because there's a two-card combination that would probably win every battle.
Don't want to change those cards before I exhaust every other option.

Ah, a pity that it doesn't work--but fair enough!

You can have maximum of 6 cards in hand. Any card draws are canceled if the hand is full.
In case you end up with a hand full of cards you can't play, the hand is moved to the deck and you draw 1 card after that.

That makes sense, I do think! ^_^

I'm optimistic about the large starting hand, going to try that now.

I imagine that it should work--I've seen it in other card games (e.g. Hearthstone), and it seems to work well enough there. That's no guarantee for your specific game, of course, but it's a hopeful indicator, I feel.

Oh, okay.

Not sure if I should make trees less messy, or everything else messier. The fuzziness is what makes it interesting. I need to think more about this.

Fair enough--and of course it may just be that the aesthetic doesn't quite work for me, personally. It might be a good idea to elicit other opinions.

Speaking for myself, I like the messiness in general--the protagonist and scarecrow, for example, look good to me. There are just a few cases in which I feel that it doesn't quite work as currently implemented.

In fact, thinking about it, I don't think that it's the fact that it's messy that makes it look a bit "rough" in places to me; I think that it's the implementation of that messiness in specific cases--like the trees, or those fireballs (if I'm reading those correctly).

I can also experiment with water a bit, after all, it's just a 64x64 image.
Don't know if I can/should make it look like actual water, but making suspension of disbelief easier would be nice =P

I can see something non-representational working; my main suggestion is to instil a bit more of a sense of "flow" to the pattern than (I think that) it currently has.

Zuurix
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 02:03:45 AM »

Fair enough--and of course it may just be that the aesthetic doesn't quite work for me, personally. It might be a good idea to elicit other opinions.

Speaking for myself, I like the messiness in general--the protagonist and scarecrow, for example, look good to me. There are just a few cases in which I feel that it doesn't quite work as currently implemented.

In fact, thinking about it, I don't think that it's the fact that it's messy that makes it look a bit "rough" in places to me; I think that it's the implementation of that messiness in specific cases--like the trees, or those fireballs (if I'm reading those correctly).

Alright, I'll try to get more feedback on this and figure out exactly what improvements to make.
I think I'll create a thread in Playtesting.

I can see something non-representational working; my main suggestion is to instil a bit more of a sense of "flow" to the pattern than (I think that) it currently has.

Tried to make it wavier:

Planning to make the repeated image bigger so it would look more natural.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 09:29:56 AM »

I think that the water there already looks better! ^_^

And by the way, those two... roving... things (...elementals?) are one case in which the "messiness" actually does look good to my eye. The same goes for those orange-leafed trees, come to that! ^_^

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic