Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:43:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsScared Of Gas
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Scared Of Gas  (Read 1716 times)
kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2019, 04:53:10 AM »

Hey.

Yesterday I put together a prototype that reflects one of the possible gameplay options. The key mechanics of the game is the interaction with gas.

Here, I want to give the further development of the game to a general vote. Watch the video. Write your thoughts about him (I think there is no need to explain that this is a concept and everything will look much better in the release).

1. The first version of the game is presented in the video - this is a runner with a constantly catching up a sense of danger. Naz is a key enemy in him.
2. The second option is to make the gas friend for the player, and the player himself somehow controls him to complete the levels and solve puzzles.
3. The third option is the enemy’s gas, but the player can use his physical properties to solve puzzles and the use of his lethal force is necessary to advance through the levels.

Choose one thing or write your thoughts about this.

PS: This is my FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/2421061478170081/ Starting Monday, I'll start posting something like developer diaries. I will be glad to see you there.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 03:37:57 AM by kvakoon » Logged

Kvakoon Team
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 05:26:11 AM »

Wow, this is amazing! I can't decide on an option since all of them seem cool, but I'm excited to see more.

kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 09:11:05 AM »

Wow, this is amazing! I can't decide on an option since all of them seem cool, but I'm excited to see more.

Thanks for the feedback. More will be next week.
I will be glad to see you in the Facebook group for this game https://www.facebook.com/groups/2421061478170081/. There you will find other people's thoughts and you can vote on future features.

Yes, I also like all 3 options, but here's what I think about further development: at the initial stages of the game you flee from the gas, completing puzzles along the way, but gradually find ways to interact with it so that towards the end you have some power over it. Something like the movie "Venom", if you watched it. It’s not the gas that is changing, but the hero himself, gradually entering into some kind of connection with the gas.
I like the idea that gas is not just a substance, but a living entity that obeys certain laws.
Do you think players will like this development of the game?

Kvakoon Team
PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 09:32:41 PM »

Damn, this looks so cool! Smiley

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 12:20:04 AM »

that looks awesome. my initial thoughts are that you could do some great puzzle platformer stuff with this. say for example you have a time limit in which you can survive in the gas and two button bound abilities, regular balloon and lead balloon. the regular balloon gives you increased buoyancy in gas and allows you to make jumps that are otherwise impossible, whereas the lead balloon allows you to dive straight down through gas at a faster speed than you would normally fall. you can then string together these cool gas chase sequences and little gas filled challenge rooms. then you can potentially introduce different coloured gases that affect or ignore these mechanics and layer your puzzles
kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 11:14:04 AM »

Damn, this looks so cool! Smiley

Thanks)

Any thoughts on what to add?

Kvakoon Team
kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 11:24:52 AM »

that looks awesome. my initial thoughts are that you could do some great puzzle platformer stuff with this. say for example you have a time limit in which you can survive in the gas and two button bound abilities, regular balloon and lead balloon. the regular balloon gives you increased buoyancy in gas and allows you to make jumps that are otherwise impossible, whereas the lead balloon allows you to dive straight down through gas at a faster speed than you would normally fall. you can then string together these cool gas chase sequences and little gas filled challenge rooms. then you can potentially introduce different coloured gases that affect or ignore these mechanics and layer your puzzles

Sounds good. Thank you)

I will read it again tomorrow and think about it. In the last 3 days, I was in the mountains, as a friend had a birthday. Because of this, there was no news about the game, but so far there is a photo from the Ural Mountains ( it is not always cold in Russia Wink ).

Tomorrow morning I will continue to develop the game and in the evening I will post a couple of screenshots. I think there will be something to show.

Kvakoon Team
kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 07:55:56 AM »

Good morning, day, and possibly night.

Apparently, all week I will ensure that the game adequately perceives the contact between the player and the gas. Today, in 7 hours of work, it turned out to be only half done, but I am satisfied.

And at the moment, what color do you think is best to make gas? Save as in the video? Make it more acidic? More like a fire? Or maybe add a bit of pixelation?

Kvakoon Team
kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 08:02:28 AM »

Today with a fresh mind I thought about your idea. The concept is intriguing.
I’ll finish the prototype for the exhibition in October ("Igromir" in Moscow), and then I’ll probably make the concept of your idea. Will you look at him later?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:34:58 PM by kvakoon » Logged

Kvakoon Team
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 01:43:38 PM »

i think green gas is more in line with what people instinctively regard as "dangerous" but, and i say this with a heavy heart, i think you should test which colours encode well on youtube

i look forward to your progress. the urals are beautiful.
kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 09:34:43 PM »

Yes, checking each option and even collecting a few custom gradients from those who are passionate about developing the game will not be a problem.
Then in the process, I will add a video to YouTube.

It seems to me that green is more suitable, but the shades of acid blue are more pleasant to the eye and make the game contrast.

i think green gas is more in line with what people instinctively regard as "dangerous" but, and i say this with a heavy heart, i think you should test which colours encode well on youtube

i look forward to your progress. the urals are beautiful.

Kvakoon Team
kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 05:34:37 AM »

Today it turned out to make the player feel the touch of gas. At the moment, this is not a very accurate calculation, but I am glad that the game is getting better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF7wqrOfBkA&feature=youtu.be

By the end of the week, the calculations will be more accurate. The player will be able to distinguish between weak contacts with gas and burning strong ones. I think in the future to make different animations for touches of different strengths. Do you think it will be cool?

PS: Performance issues have also been fixed, so it will work even on slower computers.

Kvakoon Team
kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 05:00:33 AM »

My friend prompted a thought today.

What if the gas has pressure like in real life? Suppose player needs to overlap the grooves in the room through which the gas passes so that it goes in the right direction and with its movement lifts the platform on which the player stands.
I think it is a cool feature.

I will add a little later in the FB group a vote for or against this mechanics. Take part)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2421061478170081/

Kvakoon Team
kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 11:42:53 PM »

Hey.

Last week almost completely flew out. I got sick. But now I am healthy and continue to develop.

Tonight (most likely) I will send the level structure, which I will make by the end of the month a free demo version.

Kvakoon Team
kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 01:07:56 AM »

Here is a sample demo level plan.
The level is designed for about 4 minutes of fast gameplay.
It will be needed to show the capabilities of the game. There will be puzzles, and a runner, and much more.
There is still an idea of an interesting interweaving of the plot for the main game in the future. Do you want to know?

Kvakoon Team
kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2019, 03:22:19 AM »

Hey

The last few days have been finalizing the level, checking various possibilities. In general, was engaged in game design. Here is a screenshot of the main part of the demo level. I think in the middle of next week I will post a demo version for everyone.

Kvakoon Team
kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2019, 03:22:39 AM »

I came up with an interesting concept for the demo version. This will be the background of the game (yes, there will be a plot).

The player searches for an abandoned cave among the glaciers. Falls into it, presses the lever, begins to escape from gas, performing puzzles along the way. As a result, he is walled up in the control room and remotely plugs the cork. Gas remains in the cave, the player is permanently stuck in the room.

In the main game, a new hero comes to the same cabin (in another way, do not worry, you will not have to repeat the level). And he sees the decaying remains of his predecessor and the notes on the wall: "do not press a button!"

Do you like it?

Kvakoon Team
kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2019, 01:03:31 AM »

Until the middle of next week, I am engaged in animations of unique actions in the game: an unexpected fall, pulling the plug, raising on the platform. I could show the finished level without these animations, but I do not want to spoil your impression, so for now just catch a cat photo.

Kvakoon Team
kvakoon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 03:37:46 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg1rOjJifN8&feature=youtu.be
Over the past month, I remade many components that are invisible to the eye and thought through several future levels. Finally it turned out to make a real interaction between the gas and the player. At the moment, I am working to ensure that gas also affects moving objects, in addition to the player, and exerts physical pressure on them. Here is the first level demo.
So far, , I’ll take care of this at the final stage. By the way, also at the suggestion of some people made gas more suitable for the pixel world and changed its color.
Write in the comments what you think.

Kvakoon Team
PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 04:38:32 AM »

This game looks soooo cool! Well, hello there! (Now where's that drool emoticon, when you need it)

I'm really eager to read how you did that gas ??

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic