Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:49:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMagic of Autumn - A conjured card game! (Now available on Steam!)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Magic of Autumn - A conjured card game! (Now available on Steam!)  (Read 3118 times)
Zuurix
« on: August 26, 2019, 09:16:33 AM »

Magic of Autumn is a unique card game. Explore a magical island, turn the environment into cards, build decks to overcome card battles, and get your soul back.

Add to wishlist

Go to Steam >>

Gameplay trailer

« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 12:15:32 AM by Zuurix » Logged
Zuurix
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 08:21:34 AM »

Updated the test version!

+ Lore.
+ Achievements.
+ Better story ending.
+ Options.
+ Card balance changes.
+ Graphical improvements.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 11:43:31 AM »

Ah, lore was one of the things that I'd made a note to request! :D

I still mean to give proper feed back on this game! Hopefully once the new version of my own demo is done and uploaded I might get back into it, using this new build. ^_^

[edit] Will my current save work with the new build, or would I be starting from the beginning?

Zuurix
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 01:06:24 PM »

Ah, lore was one of the things that I'd made a note to request! :D

I still mean to give proper feed back on this game! Hopefully once the new version of my own demo is done and uploaded I might get back into it, using this new build. ^_^

[edit] Will my current save work with the new build, or would I be starting from the beginning?

There were no drastic changes so it should load without flaws. If what you can use tools to restore your save back to where you were. Just re-visit previous areas, lore is miss-able. You'll see.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 06:07:51 PM »

There were no drastic changes so it should load without flaws. If what you can use tools to restore your save back to where you were.

Ah, that's good to know--thank you for that. ^_^

Just re-visit previous areas, lore is miss-able. You'll see.

Fair enough! Thank you for the advice! ^_^

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 10:25:06 AM »

Right, I've completed the game, and submitted that Google Form that you provided with my feedback! ^_^

I did omit a score for story: as it turned out, I was very near the end of the game, and I ended up deciding to not go back to search for new lore. As a result, I only saw a few scenes.

Zuurix
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 11:39:34 AM »

Right, I've completed the game, and submitted that Google Form that you provided with my feedback! ^_^

Thanks!!!
There's a lot of good info =]

Regarding the card draw problem, I have found a way to solve it - in 0.0.6 you start with floor(deck size / 5) + 1 cards. I like it because it rewards playing with larger decks, which wasn't that effective.

Regarding early game Warmth, I had an idea to add "Embers" - items you could only see when you are close to them hidden in obscure corners of the map. Each ember found would increase starting Warmth by one.
Another idea was to have a new passive/equipment type of cards - Talismans. They wouldn't be added to combat deck and instead would modify player's stats - E.g.: +5 starter Warmth, -5 starter Health.

Finally, I don't think a map is a good idea unless it has a fog so you would simply see mysterious whiteness over places you haven't visited - it wouldn't make exploration trivial. Unfortunately, I haven't ever made something like that before and I feel that it could be an overkill for a small project like this. I'm already wrapping things up, getting ready to return to working on my main project.

But I might try these ideas if the game won't be completely dead on Steam, wouldn't mind adding a DLC or two and fixing some of the issues.

Again, thanks for the feedback, will try to return the favour =]
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 11:49:17 AM »

Thanks!!!
There's a lot of good info =]

It's my pleasure! I hope that it helps. ^_^

Regarding the card draw problem, I have found a way to solve it - in 0.0.6 you start with floor(deck size / 5) + 1 cards. I like it because it rewards playing with larger decks, which wasn't that effective.

That sounds like it could work, indeed. ^_^

Regarding early game Warmth, I had an idea to add "Embers" - items you could only see when you are close to them hidden in obscure corners of the map. Each ember found would increase starting Warmth by one.
Another idea was to have a new passive/equipment type of cards - Talismans. They wouldn't be added to combat deck and instead would modify player's stats - E.g.: +5 starter Warmth, -5 starter Health.

Yup, any of those sound good, I think. I'll admit that I do like that the player always starts with low Warmth--it seems to me to add to the impression of a cold being in an inhospitable place. But I'm not at all opposed to weakening that if it means reducing the difficulty of gaining Warmth during combat.

Finally, I don't think a map is a good idea unless it has a fog so you would simply see mysterious whiteness over places you haven't visited - it wouldn't make exploration trivial. Unfortunately, I haven't ever made something like that before and I feel that it could be an overkill for a small project like this. I'm already wrapping things up, getting ready to return to working on my main project.

Hmm... Fair enough. I was indeed imagining a map that would reveal itself as the player explored (so that, as you say, the exploration of the place isn't spoiled).

I think that it's a loss to have no map, myself--I was quite frustrated to not have one. But I do see your desire to move back to your main project, and that the feature may be tricky if you don't know how to go about it--so fair enough.

But I might try these ideas if the game won't be completely dead on Steam, wouldn't mind adding a DLC or two and fixing some of the issues.

Fair enough! Whether you choose to add to it or not, I hope that it does well! ^_^

Again, thanks for the feedback, will try to return the favour =]

Thank you very much--I appreciate that! ^_^

jbarrios
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 12:02:36 PM »

Zuurix,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

Zuurix
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 01:26:12 PM »

Zuurix,

I played your game.  I recorded it and my thoughts:

Thank you!
Zuurix
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 02:05:59 AM »

I could show something like this as a map, do you think it would work @Thaumathurge?
Ideally, it would only show a silhouette of the island and maybe I can figure out how to show YOU ARE HERE icon at the correct position.

EDIT:

Also, I have improved maples.

EDIT 2:

The map is confirmed!
I figured out how to do what we want.

EDIT 3:

Suggestion to use conjuring to trigger cutscenes is a great one - I've changed to be like that just now. (I could also increase starter Warmth by 1 per cutscene "conjured" but need to think more about that)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 05:56:55 AM by Zuurix » Logged
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 11:09:21 AM »

Also, I have improved maples.

That does look better, I do feel. ^_^

The map is confirmed!
I figured out how to do what we want.

Excellent! That's really good to read! ^_^

And I quite like seeing the whole thing laid out like that; indeed, that itself might be a nice reward for explorers. ^_^

Also, I just spotted that you have Pac-Man eating a ghost near the bottom there. Tongue

Suggestion to use conjuring to trigger cutscenes is a great one - I've changed to be like that just now.

Ah, I'm glad of it. ^_^

(I could also increase starter Warmth by 1 per cutscene "conjured" but need to think more about that)

Hmm... Interesting. It's a nice idea--but I do worry that those who aren't interested in the lore might feel penalised, or pressured into sitting through scenes that they don't want to watch.

Zuurix
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 02:19:47 AM »

The map is here!

I couldn't make a properly functioning "YOU ARE HERE" marker, which is a shame, but I came up with the system that hides map.

Whenever you break a rune, a circle covering the map is removed.
Breaking all runes reveals all of the island, which, yeah, makes exploration even more rewarding.

Now I'll be working to optimize the game - it lags on weaker computers, which is unacceptable a small indie game.

After that, I'll add inspect feature - pressing "I" will pause the fight and allow you to see the tooltip of the card currently played by the enemy.

And after that, I'll try to tackle the problem with early game warmth/warmth generation in general - at the start of the turn, you'll be able to choose to either draw a card or get 2 warmth. This should give the game much-needed stability.
Zuurix
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 06:39:13 AM »

+ Game now runs 10 times faster!
+ Map.
+ Many small improvements.
Zuurix
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 03:06:12 AM »

This is how the start of your turn will look like - you'll have the option to create warmth instead of drawing a card!

Now going to work on a fast mode - an option to speed up idol attacking and card playing animations.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 08:37:28 AM »

I haven't tried the new version, but those look like some solid improvements, I do think! ^_^

The handling of obscuring the map was unexpected--but should work, I do think. If I may make a suggestion: given the general art-style, perhaps instead of sharp-edged circles, each "cover" might be a grainily-edged, animated circle.

Zuurix
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 08:16:14 AM »

+ Inspect feature.
+ Create 2 warmth at the start of the turn feature.
+ Bug fixes.
+ UI improvements.
+ Card changes.

Now all it needs OST and I can release it on Steam!
Red Phantom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 10:19:03 PM »

Started playing your game again!
+ New intro text is great!
+ I like how you can create 2 warmth instead of drawing a card first
- The map needs to be improved.

Will update you with more feedback when I get further in.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:32:59 PM by Siavellez » Logged

Zuurix
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 12:15:19 AM »

Started playing your game again!
+ New intro text is great!
+ I like how you can create 2 warmth instead of drawing a card first
- The map needs to be improved.

Will update you with more feedback when I get further in.

Hey, welcome to TIG!

(At the moment it says "Latest Member: Siavellez"!)

What improvements do you want for the map?
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2019, 11:39:25 AM »

Hi,

This has a lot of work in it which is impressive. I think with some polishing up of the UI you might make a bigger splash. The cards were the most interesting thing in your trailer to me and I think that the tool tips are also the shape of cards is kind of confusing: what about having the card flip over when you hover it so you can see the top on the other side rather than next to it?

Also having the cards move from where they are drawn to where they go in the play field, like a tween between the source of the card and where it goes into the play field would help a lot.

Keep it up!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic